How do I switch the Google account assigned to my Optimus?

Titus37

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to be giving my Optimus S to my wife and I realized that I don't really know how to go about resetting it so that she can take it over. I'm running Reborn ROM. Do I need to do a factory reset of some sort? I don't want to do anything that could brick my phone.

Basically, she has dropped her phone one time too many and I'm due for an upgrade in January. I'm still very happy with my Optimus S, but since we need a new phone, I may as well get a new swanky one rather than her. Neither of us currently have to pay the smartphone $10 fee and we want to keep it that way at least for the Optimus. I'm under the impression that we probably won't be able to swap the phone number assigned to the Optimus without being charged the $10 fee.

Thanks!

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you are running stock, yes you can perform a factory reset for her. Or if you just want to deactivate the google account, go to setting>accounts & sync and under manage accounts click on your gmail account. At the bottom is "remove account". It will give a warning that it will remove all messages, contacts ect. I dont know what it will do for paid apps, but imagine somecwill still work, and some will not (some verify that you have bought the app). Then your wife can just open the market and sign in with her gmail account.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, missed that. Dont do a settings>privacy>factory reset. You could just boot to recovery and do a full wipe and reflash reborn. That would accomplish just the same results as a factory reset would for stock. And what I originally said about removing your gmail account from the accounts and sync will also work.

Reactions: Titus37

Titus37

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a lot! Removing my account and signing into hers sounds like the easiest way. I'll give this a try in early January and post the results.

I'm going to miss my Optimus, but at least it will remain in the family.

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Boot into recovery, and do a factory erase in clockworkmod... (assuming that's what you're running)...

Titus37

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, missed that. Dont do a settings>privacy>factory reset. You could just boot to recovery and do a full wipe and reflash reborn. That would accomplish just the same results as a factory reset would for stock. And what I originally said about removing your gmail account from the accounts and sync will also work.

This is what I did. I booted to recovery and reflashed RebornROM. The phone didn't automatically switch to her phone number, though, so they had to manually go into some magic menu to switch the phone over to her number.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21