Update ZVJ won't (update)

oldflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Optimus S, ZVD 2.2.2, rooted, Xionia recovery. Received notification update downloaded, so clicked to do it. Phone rebooted, stuck in Xionia. Says update failed, can't open file, aborted, unknown error.
When I try to reboot into recovery, have options to "apply sdcard:update.zip" and "install zip from sdcard". If I do "apply" and yes option, get same results as above.

OK, I am barely proficient in Linux and Windows, was able to root phone following great forum step x steps. When I query phone update now, it says I am up to date, but still on ZVD. I have searched forums but don't see exactly what I need to do to make the update happen. Help?

oldflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Idiot-------> [Insert my picture here] <---------Idiot

First, thanks for the tip hlxanthus.
The idiot reference is to my assumption that I actually had an update downloaded which I didn't despite the nag prompts that an update was downloaded and ready to install.
Anyway, I have hosed the update and my zvd system and am reading and trying all the steps to restore back to a zvd baseline and start over. Learning the hard way.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Good luck! There are guides in the rooting section for nearly every issue you could have. If you get stuck, we are more than glad to help.

oldflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Got 'er done. Got hung up on "stock recovery." I had to go back to a fresh ZVD install and reinstall the recovery utility. Then the ZVJ update went in slick as could be. Now I discover that if I want to root ZVJ, I have to go back to D, root, and then kabuki dance my way to a rooted J system. Poop on that for now. Maybe there will come a method to root ZVJ directly?

FWIW, there is a s**tload of information and how-to on this forum, and I was able to find my way through the maze, but it is kind of confusing to pick through and find what is really needed. Example, I still don't know why stock recovery instead of Xionia to update my phone, and I never could find how to get to stock recovery without a total reload like I did. Also some of the step x steps leave some things assumed, like when to plug in a USB cable. But all said, this forum is gold for idiots like me and my Opty is full of gingerbread.

ShadowEO

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Got 'er done. Got hung up on "stock recovery." I had to go back to a fresh ZVD install and reinstall the recovery utility. Then the ZVJ update went in slick as could be. Now I discover that if I want to root ZVJ, I have to go back to D, root, and then kabuki dance my way to a rooted J system. Poop on that for now. Maybe there will come a method to root ZVJ directly?

FWIW, there is a s**tload of information and how-to on this forum, and I was able to find my way through the maze, but it is kind of confusing to pick through and find what is really needed. Example, I still don't know why stock recovery instead of Xionia to update my phone, and I never could find how to get to stock recovery without a total reload like I did. Also some of the step x steps leave some things assumed, like when to plug in a USB cable. But all said, this forum is gold for idiots like me and my Opty is full of gingerbread.

Glad you found the forum helpful, the reason you couldn't flash the baseband update with Xonia is because it was specifically made to not flash radio images as for some reason it borks phones when you flash from a custom recovery, your phone was still on ZVD but probably system got wiped in preparation for the update.

Because of this is probably why you had to do a full reload.

Thought I'd finish off any other questions you might have :D Eventually a sure fire way to root ZVJ will probably be found.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer