Upgrade Elgible, What's Best?

ryandubbz

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
My phone is ready to be upgraded, but after rooting the optimus s, I feel i could probably hold onto this phone for awhile longer. But lets say i do go through with the upgrade,

What would be the best Sprint phone on the market right now to buy. I see that they only have about 4 phones that are 4g capable and 2 more that are 4gLTE.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I recently got a used nexus s. I doubt I would use anything else but another in the nexus line. I would get the galaxy nexus myself, but the new evo does look to be a very nice device. The newest lg phone is also reviewing well. The nexus line is VERY easy to root and rom if you want to . .

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Depending on where you live, I would NOT recommend any LTE device yet.

The Nexus S 4G is a fine device and the development community for it is outstanding.

BONUS: It supports Google Wallet.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't have wimax where I live either so I don't even think of such things lol. But drew does have a point. Talk to you sprint rep or do some Google research on your area to see when lte is coming to your area.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Looking like the nexus is the way to go? Are the iPhones garbage?

No actually the iPhone is a damn fine device. But it ain't android. With apple it is either their way or no way, so all the custom tweaks we rooting freaks enjoy are not possible. Yes, depending on what version of iOS you have you can jailbreak it (have my ipad2 jail broken) but it does not offer the same level of improvement that android allows. So ask your self this, do you want a very solid stable device that is limited by the developers imagination, or do you want a device that is more open to user management and customization.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm upgrading to the evo 4g lte, the face unlock and front camera have me convinced.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
what about the samsung galaxy s 2 epic 4g?

I've been looking at that one too. The only thing that throws me is that it's wimax 4g. I don't want to be stuck on a phone that's incompatable with the 4g network for 2yrs, even if it's currently a moot point. My area is listed in the second round of upgrades for LTE.

formula355

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I love my Nexus S. Got mine back in March and it also replaced my Optimus. I haven't looked back at all. The extra storage and ICS is what did it for me. Then I saw this beautiful screen for the first time and I was hooked.

tlrsax54

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
My brother has the Nexus S, definitely a solid phone. I can't wait till September I've been kind of eye-balling the Galaxy Nexus :(

ryandubbz

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking that I'll get the Samsung Galaxy S III phone - it's getting nice reviews!

I was thinking that also, but at $199 i think ill still wait awhile. With all the great roms the optimus s is a different breed of phone. All i do is surf the web, text, and phone calls, along with random pictures. So all the extra stuff would just be fluff.

notebooko

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking that also, but at $199 i think ill still wait awhile. With all the great roms the optimus s is a different breed of phone. All i do is surf the web, text, and phone calls, along with random pictures. So all the extra stuff would just be fluff.

What else do people use their phones for nowadays? Lol, with the exception of games which I'm sure many people don't play. It's the difference in how fast you can get these things done that differentiates phones. Every smartphone can do what you mentioned but its the speed that matters.

nazzo

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I would tell you to wait to upgrade your phone till Sprint releases an LTE device that supports LTE on the 800mhz spectrum since Sprint intends to switch that spectrum online and blanket LTE over most of the respective market area after they decommission the iDEN network. They initially stated this would happen next year but now it seems that is pushed back till 2014.

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I recently got a used nexus s. I doubt I would use anything else but another in the nexus line. I would get the galaxy nexus myself, but the new evo does look to be a very nice device. The newest lg phone is also reviewing well. The nexus line is VERY easy to root and rom if you want to . .

What's the newest LG phone called?? I got upgrades coming soon, and I might look into it..

I would tell you to wait to upgrade your phone till Sprint releases an LTE device that supports LTE on the 800mhz spectrum since Sprint intends to switch that spectrum online and blanket LTE over most of the respective market area after they decommission the iDEN network. They initially stated this would happen next year but now it seems that is pushed back till 2014.

What do you mean by switch to that spectrum online and blanket LTE over the respective market area? Is that any bearing on the current Sprint coverage that is 3G only?

Actually, looking at the phone wall on Sprint's site, I don't even see the Nexus S anymore..only the Galaxy Nexus for $149 with 2yr. Guess I'll have to go used or some online retailer?? Anyone know why it's not there anymore?

Last edited:

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Well the galaxy nexus is truly the successor to the ns4g. That is likely the reason. Removing the old Google flagship phone in favor of the new

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I recommend the Galaxy Epic 4G Touch . It's good except for the brick bug that is expected to be fixed with the roll out of ICS this month.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums