"Bricked"ish LG Optimus S help?

lalalizabeth

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Well I've got quite the dilemma, and I can't seem to find the right forum to help me, therefore I'll just make my own, lol. So I rooted with Gingerbreak, and I for some dumb reason was going to use ROM Manager to get all the fun started, (I used it with my HTC Eris and it worked like a charm) now the recovery will only start if I use the ROM Manager reboot. So it isn't absolutely effed, but I'm wondering how much. Other problem is I have no computer either, so is there a way to install a new custom recovery from my phone, and if so how? Please, if you only have link help, don't bother. I've read, read, read. Majority of the time the methods I've used come up with errors or I have absolutely no clue what they mean. Please help!?

Yunqo

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Well.. no computer, I don't want to crush your dreams but I don't k now if there is a way without it..

Sent from my PH44100 using Android Central Forums

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Did not read enough, if you did would have seen don't use ROM Manager. Will need computer to attempt to fix.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
If you have super user and can boot into android then you can terminal emulator (from the play store) to flash another recovery. Look at either xionia or cannibal open touch.

Sent from my Crespo4G using Tapatalk 2

xcpefrmreality

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't flash image GUI work on the optimus s? I think it does. It'll flash a recovery for you.

Edit.... It definitely does work with the optimus s, I just checked. It's 99 cents in the play store and its free over at xda, google it, flash image GUI.

Last edited:
Reactions: vernotzy21

xplode196

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I know this sounds terrible but I think I just read somewhere in the CM9 thread that someone used ROM Manager to flash a Custom Recovery for their phone. They downloaded Drew's Touch Recovery and then opened ROM Manager to facilitate the installation...and I'm aware ROM Manager is the devil but this might be a viable last option? If not I think ROM Toolbox Lite installs custom recoveries that are downloaded to your sd card too

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Is typing 'flash_image recovery YOURFILENAMEHERE.zip' really that difficult that some would rather play with the Mangler? LMAO at Flash Image GUI. :D

xcpefrmreality

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Is typing 'flash_image recovery YOURFILENAMEHERE.zip' really that difficult that some would rather play with the Mangler? LMAO at Flash Image GUI. :D

Have you had a bad experience with flash image GUI? I've used it many times and never had an issue, and joeykrim (the dev) is great help when you need support.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I dont get it?? If its dangerous then maybe I shouldnt use it any more. Care to explain?
LOL. No, I don't think it is dangerous, just really silly. Here's why:
If you already have your new custom recovery saved on the root of your SD card, and let's say you've renamed it to 'recovery.img' Then all you have to do to install it is open up either a terminal emulator or an ADB shell and enter--literally:
Code:
flash_image recovery recovery.img
...and watch the magic happen.

Or you could pay someone $1, install an otherwise useless app that takes up your precious internal space (that you probably rooted with the intent of liberating) and use a special clunky GUI... to do the same thing.

I know that I tend to do things manually, but I respect efforts to simplify things for others. But the concept of that app is like... an electric knife to me.

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Coming dangerously close to trolling, here. Flash Image GUI is great for those that just aren't as good with computers, or are intimidated by terminal commands in general. Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean that others don't see the value in it.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I suppose the other side of my point, other than the obvious humor of the metaphor, is that there is a danger, it is in applying automated hacks for which the process and result the user has no clue. ROM Manager is a vehicle of ignorance, to avoid a process that is both facile and intriguing to even mild technophiles. The process which it masks is not as nerdy or coded as some would believe; even if one does not understand it, copy-paste gets it done just fine. An american student gets to the latter phase of Spanish 2 before learning the structure behind the phrase he learned Day 1: Aqui se habla espanol.

As numerous others have said here, rooting itself does nothing destructive or warranty-killing to a device. Yet installing a custom recovery is the first step to both responsible back-ups and well as serious modification.

Yes, it is just my occasionally humble opinion that apps such as ROM Manager (when it works) and Flash Image GUI allow some users to remain ignorant of that for which they are assuming responsibility. And that is the real problem. In the case of the latter, rather than simplifying a mildly extensive technical protocol, the effort to remain ignorant by using this app actually takes more effort, more system resources, more network traffic, more time and money, and more clicks to accomplish.

I am merely voicing my opinion and desire to see fewer threads with pleading titles such as this one. If that is trolling, can I be the one with purple hair and Jams?

xcpefrmreality

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Your opinion is noted and respected. I'll add this, on my HTC device, flash image GUI is priceless.

In order to achieve "s-off" with my evo 3d, you have to use linux (i did it). With "s-on" you can root but you cannot write to your boot partition from a custom recovery. Flash image GUI will pull the boot image from the zipped rom and flash it, then you can go to recovery and flash the rom. The only other way to flash a rom with "s-on" is to use adb/fastboot commands. If I don't have a computer handy I can still flash a rom. Id rather use a computer, personally.

I keep the app backup up with titanium backup until I need it, whether that be flashing a different recovery or testing a kernel.

Reactions: epidenimus

lalalizabeth

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Well I got a computer now.. I guess I just really am stupid. I've read more links, after more links. I can't even seem to get past how to get my adb shell running, puh.. I don't know. It seems like even all the "spoon-fed" stickies I find myself saying, "how the heck do you get there!?"

lalalizabeth

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
@lalalizabeth: What OS are you using and did you get ADB running?

Using Windows and I got the computer ADB shell running but everything I've tried running either says device not connected, I've tried USB debugging enabled and then disabled. I still haven't given up hope, but my phone upgrade is coming in the next few months and I'm about to get an iPhone if I can't fix it!! lbs

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Using Windows and I got the computer ADB shell running but everything I've tried running either says device not connected, I've tried USB debugging enabled and then disabled. I still haven't given up hope, but my phone upgrade is coming in the next few months and I'm about to get an iPhone if I can't fix it!! lbs

Did you install the drivers? Not the automatic ones, but actually go to the lg website and snag those.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2