Can you recommend an app to block unknown calls on my Optimus S?

txirish

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Howdy,

I've been searching, searching, searching for an app that will work with my LG Optimus S running Android 2.3.3 that will block "unknown" or private calls, but I can't find one that works. (Note: I'm not technically with Sprint, but with I-wireless, that uses the Spring network, FWIW.) If I could find one that blocks calls not in contacts by sending those calls to voicemail, that would be great. I'd be willing to pay for such an app, as long as there was a trial period of some sort so that I could verify that it works.

FYI,

• I've tried "Call Control" and "Mr. Number" apps. Both are supposed to allow calls from my contacts through and send those not in contacts to voicemail, but both blocked my contacts too.
  • I've tried adding a contact named "Unknown" to my contacts. That way I could use the stock android option to send the call directly to voicemail. I went through Google on a PC to make the phone number "Unknown" and synced it with my phone contacts, but that didn't work. I also changed the phone number for the contact "Unknown" to -1, -2, and 0000, but none of these worked either.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can be in advance! (Note I've cross posted this on another forum to increase the likelihood that I might get an answer.)

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
In "Call Control" did you select "Contacts Only" as the Privacy Setting?
Works for me, only difference is I set it to hang up on them as I don't want their voicemails clogging up my Inbox.

Here's what my Settings look like:
d8da1dab-ac07-1237.jpg
d8da1dab-ac12-194e.jpg
d8da1dab-ac1b-2d01.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: txirish

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
No need. Add a contact with the number 0000 , and under that contacts settings choose send calls to voicemail.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

txirish

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can you recommend an app to block unknown calls on my Optimus

Thanks for the reply... as I mentioned in the original post, I added "0000", but it doesn't work on the LG Optimus S for some reason....

txirish

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can you recommend an app to block unknown calls on my Optimus

@Lanhoj, thanks for the screencaps! Honestly, I've tried so many things that I can't recall for sure. I may have left the Privacy options off, because I read that some people had problems with it. I'll try your suggestion. I get several "Unknown" calls every day, and I just don't want to be bothered by them. I'll post a reply with how it works. Thanks!

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Might not apply to you, however, "Call Control" doesn't currently support JB (and their Dev support is pretty sub-par even for a free App) but "Extreme Call Blocker" does & has great support (though is a 6$ App).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

grabejr

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I use youmail. Combined with who are you and call control I have never had a problem with unknown numbers. Youmail allows you to be able to ditch numbers or groups of numbers (blocked, unknown, etc) and have a separate greeting and action.

For my ditched callers they here the standard "the number you have called has been disconnected" and then it hangs up without letting them leave a voicemail.

Youmail is, imo, the best voicemail app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma