Did I brick it trying to fix my touch screen?

policetac

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Sprint Optimus S LG 670
Rooted 2.2 that has always been fairly stable.
Until the touch screen stopped working.
The first time was a few days ago, but after in/out/in/out with the battery a few times it started working again.Until this evening when the phone's touch screen stopped working again.
Here's the "bricked?" part though.
After a few minutes pressing all the buttons, removing the battery, etc, I key/combo'd the recovery console just prior to boot. I read all of the menu choices, chose a select few, then said &*$$ it and did every single command option it had.
Well, needless to say, the phone now freezes at the LG logo and will not go any further.
I can still get into the recovery menu, but that is all. (It also does not seem to recognize the SD card anymore either.)
So I guess my first question is "Did I brick it?"
If yes, then ???
If no, then does anyone know what I might need to do?
I do have the ability to access my SD card from my PC, so I can load a ROM or whatever on to it, but I don't really know what I would need to do.
This is my wife's "security blanket" so to speak so my mental well being is at stake here!
Therefore ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! :)
I thank you all in advance, and will make it a point to monitor this thread closely for the next 24 hours in order to keep anyone from waiting or playing forum tag.
Thanks again,
Policetac

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Sprint Optimus S LG 670
Rooted 2.2 that has always been fairly stable.
Until the touch screen stopped working.
The first time was a few days ago, but after in/out/in/out with the battery a few times it started working again.Until this evening when the phone's touch screen stopped working again.
After a few minutes pressing all the buttons, removing the battery, etc, I key/combo'd the recovery console just prior to boot. I read all of the menu choices, chose a select few, then said &*$$ it and did every single command option it had.
Well, needless to say, the phone now freezes at the LG logo and will not go any further.
I can still get into the recovery menu, but that is all. (It also does not seem to recognize the SD card anymore either.)
So I guess my first question is "Did I brick it?"
If yes, then ???
If no, then does anyone know what I might need to do?
I do have the ability to access my SD card from my PC, so I can load a ROM or whatever on to it, but I don't really know what I would need to do.
This is my wife's "security blanket" so to speak so my mental well being is at stake here!
Therefore ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! :)
I thank you all in advance, and will make it a point to monitor this thread closely for the next 24 hours in order to keep anyone from waiting or playing forum tag.
Thanks again,
Policetac

Most likely, you just wiped the /system partition. There's a 0.00000001% chance that you bricked it in recovery. You can use KDZ to re-install your froyo. ^__^
Also, if you made a nandroid , you can restore.

Instructions Here : Unbrick Guide (Noobies Not Recommended)

Last edited:
Reactions: policetac

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
What recovery do you have? Please don't say stock....

If it's a custom recovery, you can nandroid restore. As for the SD card, custom recoveries do have the option to format them, so if you hit all options, then you probably have nothing on it. Pull it out, put in a card adapter in your computer, format it to FAT32, then put your nandroid backup or ROM zip back on it and flash.

Reactions: policetac

policetac

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I got it going again! :)
Turns out it was actually pretty easy too!

All I did was go here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ome-basic-optimus-s-guide-newcomers-info.html

**UPDATE: There seems to be a problem with Youtube. Please see next reply.

Based on my system requirements, the information I got there, and the generosity of your site and it's people, I chose to use the free GingerROM provided. Two steps later, (Downloading the ROM and it's add on to my SD card,) I went into recovery and loaded it.

It fired right up with absolutely no problems.

My wife is very pleased with the results, (as am I) and claims her phone is faster, more stable, and charges faster than ever. It even got rid of that really pesky "update system" notice that kept annoyingly popping up every fifteen minutes.

Now all I want to know is "What else can I add to make it even cooler?" :)

To those that replied, I thank you for your support, and wish you both "Great Fortune!" :)

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Policetac

Last edited:

policetac

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok.
The system is now as follows:
LS 670
GingerRom
LS670ZVJ
*Clean install
Network is home wireless with no connection issues. (That I'm aware of.)
Youtube "Unable to connect to server" / "Touch to retry" ......
Navigation "Through" Youtube works fine. Error occurs at Stream
Have Un/installed application w/no change in error.

Anyone know right off what I might be forgetting?

Thanks again.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Are you certain you are on zvj baseband? You could be on zvh running gingerRom and it would work but there are reported issues like you claim when doing so. What steps did you take to get where you are? I see you were on zvd 2.2 previously that is why I ask.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

policetac

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Was I? I didn't even think to check my earlier posts.
When the phone shut down, I think I must have lost that information, and was going off of memory. I read the warning, and thought I was sure.
I'll go check and return.
Thank you.

policetac

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok. According to the information I was able to find, I originally I started with ZVH

When I rooted the phone however, I paid close attention to the warning about "support" being an issue, and chose to go ahead and switch to ZVD.

I lost all of my development software from the time, but I did distinctively remember that I installed the Gingerbread software options, and Gingerbreak procedures.
This would seem to indicate that I had the ZVJ software at the start time of this latest thread.

I decided to go into recovery to see if it could tell me.
My recovery console is: Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6

Does any of this help?

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
At this point I am so confused about what you have done and I don't have any idea on advice. My recommendation is to look up at the stickies for the welcome guide and read that. I would suggest you follow sfhubs simplified unroot and return to stock thread. At that point you will know you are on stock zvd everything. Take the phone to sprint and have them re provision the device. Once you have that done and the device works at an unrooted state, then we can discuss your rooting options

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Until this evening when the phone's touch screen stopped working again.

You can't just go pressing all the buttons and aimlessly doing things from recovery. Doing so is guaranteed to cause major problems.

I lost all of my development software from the time, but I did distinctively remember that I installed the Gingerbread software options, and Gingerbreak procedures.
This would seem to indicate that I had the ZVJ software at the start time of this latest thread.

I decided to go into recovery to see if it could tell me.
My recovery console is: Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6

Does any of this help?

If you had ZVJ, Gingerbreak would not have rooted the phone. So you probably had ZVD. Either way you do need to take your phone into Sprint and have them reprovision, fix, or do whatever it is they have to do. When you get it back up and running, don't attempt to root it again until you have read and can understand the exact procedure, which depends on the version of software that is on the device.

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with hlxanthus and drew. Get it back to stock unrooted zvd and if you're still having issues you can take it to Sprint without having to worry about them wondering what the heck you did to your phone and seeing it rooted. Make sure everything is working right on stock, unrooted, then you can reroot and go from there :)

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

policetac

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
OK.
Well, this is why we have Forums of experienced users willing to give their expertise to those of us just plodding around the place like we think we kinda have a clue of what we're doing! :)
I AM NOW ON CYANOGENMOD 7.2.0
Running Android 2.3.7
With YOUTUBE!!!!!
AND THE PHONE! (Something I really didn't even know was wrong as we only use the wireless from home.)
It's going to take a little getting used to, but it seems kind of cool so far.
Went ahead and joined the forum there. Hope they have some good stuff to trick this thing out with!
I really do appreciate the help though. Think about it this way. You forced me to look at everything all over again, and "learn" to fix it. That's always worth the frustration.
(I think what happened, is that I used the ZVH to ZVD automatic program, when I was going through the root process, then "TRIED" the Gingerbread stuff, not even knowing that nothing was happening correctly, apparently not having a working understanding of the vocabulary.)
I think I have it now though! lol
Thanks again for the help.
policetac

Reactions: hlxanthus

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
OK.
Well, this is why we have Forums of experienced users willing to give their expertise to those of us just plodding around the place like we think we kinda have a clue of what we're doing! :)
I AM NOW ON CYANOGENMOD 7.2.0
Running Android 2.3.7
With YOUTUBE!!!!!
AND THE PHONE! (Something I really didn't even know was wrong as we only use the wireless from home.)
It's going to take a little getting used to, but it seems kind of cool so far.
Went ahead and joined the forum there. Hope they have some good stuff to trick this thing out with!
I really do appreciate the help though. Think about it this way. You forced me to look at everything all over again, and "learn" to fix it. That's always worth the frustration.
(I think what happened, is that I used the ZVH to ZVD automatic program, when I was going through the root process, then "TRIED" the Gingerbread stuff, not even knowing that nothing was happening correctly, apparently not having a working understanding of the vocabulary.)
I think I have it now though! lol
Thanks again for the help.
policetac

That is good news! Would you mind sharing how you solved your issue so that others with similar issues can more easily find a solution? Thanks.

policetac

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, I guess the first thing I did was to come here and ask for help.
As is typical with forums such as these, I listed not only my problem, but as much info as I knew, any more I could remember, and any steps I had taken as well.
I then monitored the post so I could engage anyone who offered assistance as close to real time as possible, and then I went back to the basics.
By re reading my threads, I was able to better piece together some of the vocabulary and tie them to actions I could/had/couldn't etc. done or been able to do. (The first two replies allowed me to deduce that I hadn't bricked it, that "recovery" was going to be my work area, and that if I was ever going to go ahead and attempt a "flash" this was probably going to be it.
I knew I was rooted, so I figured I'd go ahead and try a ROM. I read the newbie stickies, and "thought" I had made the right choice. I downloaded the ROM, worked the steps, and flashed right into a working device. (So I thought.)
But I had a problem. I came to the forums.
But I didn't believe the advice at first. Something tried to say that they just didn't understand. That there was no way I could have done that since everything worked fine before.) So I had thought.
But there was something about the replies that made me doubt. (These guys are the ones who know what they're talking about.)
So I went through all of my old forum posts tracing as best I could the steps I had taken before. I kept running into a bit of confusion as I read and re read the old newbie instructions which told me that I might have been a little confused then as well.
So I kept reading until I got it.
(Apparently I went one way, thinking I was going the other etc.) ZVD/ZVH/ZVJ
By reading, I realized that if you get it wrong at this point, the worst that usually happens is something doesn't work right. (My posting problem to begin with.)
So I decided that they were probably right even though I didn't know exactly why at the time. Their advice? I had the wrong ROM format for my phone. Try another from the other choices.
So I read the stickies a few more times, picked one (CyanogenMod) and it worked.
PERFECTLY.
So what did I do? I took the advice given, and read, and re read the newbie stickies until I got it right. All the info was right there. I just had to keep trying until I understood it.
That was about it! lol :)
Thanks again.
Gotta go. I have a whole new phone I have to customize for my wife!
Sincerely,
policetac

Reactions: hlxanthus