[APP]AndroidCentral webapp(unofficial)

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't like the tapatalk based AC app

(it lacks controls or I'm just to dumb to figure it out:p)

so I whipped up one based on pure WebView goodness its only function it to bring you AC website quickly and that means full control

I wanted to post it here in the options S forum first cause its my android stomping ground

I'm a little worried about the launcher icon though its hard to resize images on a phone so its up to your android scaling ability I tried though

made it on on my Samsung prevail with A.I.D.E and mad reading skillz IV also included the source in hopes we could start a community fun project to make a android central app that feels more homebrew and full featured
Why?
.......cause we just roll like that at Android Central:cool: :p

Android central webapp:

http://db.tt/Pwrx1DPH

Source code:

http://db.tt/KX3B9pHY

Thank to everyone that has ever taught me anything

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

ThatGuyLurkin

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: [APP]AndroidCentral webapp

Nice. And yeah. Tapatalk keeps adding different features that XDA/AC don't keep up with.

Nice job. And congratz :thumbup:;):thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Nice. And yeah. Tapatalk keeps adding different features that XDA/AC don't keep up with.

Nice job. And congratz :thumbup:;):thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

In all fairness its a chore to keep updating the AC app and also many of the features Tapatalk adds require the forums to constantly update plugins to utilize these ongoing new features.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

In all fairness its a chore to keep updating the AC app and also many of the features Tapatalk adds require the forums to constantly update plugins to utilize these ongoing new features.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

That why AC should have a totally custom app grant it I don't think webview is quite the answer but at lease it lets you attach things ect

I understand tapatalks purpose but to model the AC app off of it is a bit redundant instead of AC worrying about "keeping up" with features of tapatalk we should just have custom features tailored to AC and only AC otherwise I'd just use tapatalk instead of the AC app

Know what I mean?

Idk something leading edge like a post rom button or something

Tapatalks interface is good though but it lacks just to post a screenshot :screwy:

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Cool idea. I kinda liked the AC app idea, because even though I purchased Tapatalk, I only ever used it for AC & XDA anyway.

If you are haggling over features, I'm not sure how practical a "Post ROM" button would be. Perhaps building in the ability to grab a logcat and push to the site? Seems easy enough to implement...

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

It is a lot more complicated than you would think. Not only does the application have to be developed, but there also would be backend work, writing plug ins and custom code for the forum software.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Cool idea. I kinda liked the AC app idea, because even though I purchased Tapatalk, I only ever used it for AC & XDA anyway.

If you are haggling over features, I'm not sure how practical a "Post ROM" button would be. Perhaps building in the ability to grab a logcat and push to the site? Seems easy enough to implement...

It is a cool idea, not something tapatalk will ever implement:p

It is a lot more complicated than you would think. Not only does the application have to be developed, but there also would be backend work, writing plug ins and custom code for the forum software.

Cole2kb is absolutely correct. It's a lot of work, and if you haven't seen, paying to have a custom version of tapatalk is pretty freakin expensive... Thousands of dollars, and more if you want it updated. If it were cheaper to make their own AC would have done it.

If anyone is interested, I've made a forum app for another forum I like to participate in (it's based on a webview but has some simple controls) here is the play store link.

If this is something those of you wanting a different app like, I can easily re-code it to work for Android Central.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

That's very true I wanna try to add features but I wanna base it on what exist already however......to bad I couldn't get a peak under ACs hood....;)

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I meant the logcat feature that I mentioned seemed easy, not the entire project. That could take a lot of work and skill to get right.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

That's very true I wanna try to add features but I wanna base it on what exist already however......to bad I couldn't get a peak under ACs hood....;)

I understand where your coming from, but the biggest thing really isn't the Tapatalk vanilla software that the AC App uses as a base its the plugins and coding that goes into the vBulletin software for the forums. As easy as it sounds Tapatalk's plugins they put out don't always gel as they hope with even the most popular forum software.

I truly believe Android Central's version of the app is setup fairly well with the most important features. Again its supposed to be a mobile software to make forum browsing easier without all the fuss of a regular browser so its basically achieving what its supposed to do.

But do please keep the ideas and suggestions coming, someone higher up than us is always watching and listening ;)

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

I meant the logcat feature that I mentioned seemed easy, not the entire project. That could take a lot of work and skill to get right.

Logcat is easy to implement, unless you are unrooted running something at API level 16 or higher. Apps can't get logcats in jellybean without root and it's a little weird to have a forum ask for root access lol.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

I understand where your coming from, but the biggest thing really isn't the Tapatalk vanilla software that the AC App uses as a base its the plugins and coding that goes into the vBulletin software for the forums. As easy as it sounds Tapatalk's plugins they put out don't always gel as they hope with even the most popular forum software.

I truly believe Android Central's version of the app is setup fairly well with the most important features. Again its supposed to be a mobile software to make forum browsing easier without all the fuss of a regular browser so its basically achieving what its supposed to do.

But do please keep the ideas and suggestions coming, someone higher up than us is always watching and listening ;)

Actually I'm wondering if it would just be easier to add more functionality to the existing AC app ourselves

Attachments

Logcat push (that's a great idea!)

I really got started on this cause I couldn't post any screen shots

I'm looking into implementing logcat ability now

prob just have a button that copys logcat and uploads it as a text file

Hmm I wonder if I could implement that tricky style to the existing layout???

Last edited:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Actually I'm wondering if it would just be easier to add more functionality to the existing AC app ourselves

Attachments

Which AC app are you speaking of, the one you made? or the tapatalk based one that's on Google play?

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

The tapatalk one

I don't think it's possible to modify that. Someone would have to be able to code in smali (which is extremely hard to do), instead of the normal java. I dont think tapatalk gives out the uncompiled source code to its customers http://www.tapatalk.com/pricing.php. Your best hope is the new one you made.... Although I'm not sure how much java you know.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

You know honestly I'm useing the tapatalk one now it great for regular posting its faster than webview

Would someone be so kind as to decompile the AC tapatalk app and post it here
I have no PC and I'm not able to decompile~~~*yet*:rolleyes:

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Logcat is easy to implement, unless you are unrooted running something at API level 16 or higher. Apps can't get logcats in jellybean without root and it's a little weird to have a forum ask for root access lol.

I forgot you need root For logcats!

IV only been a unrooted android user for about 1 day in my whole life and proud but I keep forgetting half the planet is afraid to root their device's

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm still learning. I'm hoping to learn to speak it fluently though
Would we get in trouble if we modded it just for us?(AC members)

Well then maybe ill change it from a webview to a listview and call it "Tapspeak"

Last edited:

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Originally Posted by vernotzy21

Attachments

Which AC app are you speaking of, the one you made? or the tapatalk based one that's on Google play?

Oh I'm sorry I miss understood you everything to mod is the one I made unless we can mod the tapatalk one

Sorry I quad posted I'm just excited IV been stareing at my phone since IV open this thread dying for some feedback.

So let me get this straight jellybean doesn't allow
< uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.READ_LOGS"/>

Or it does and you have to be rooted??

I haven't had much chance to play with jellybean yet

Last edited:

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

You know honestly I'm useing the tapatalk one now it great for regular posting its faster than webview

Would someone be so kind as to decompile the AC tapatalk app and post it here
I have no PC and I'm not able to decompile~~~*yet*:rolleyes:

I would decompile it for you, but I'm not sure that it is allowed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech