anyone upgraded/upgrading from their optimus recently/soon? what phone did you choose?

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
curious because I'm upgrade eligible and trying to decide between the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Nexus. I've loved my optimus, but it reboots randomly when I'm playing words with friends, it often freezes with google navigation (as in, have to reset the phone with a battery pull... while driving... totally fun), I don't like being limited in the amount of apps I can download due to the internal memory, and I'd love a better camera. I think the S III or nexus would fit the bill for these complaints, but I'm wondering if I should wait a few months for sales or new releases?

so I was just wondering if anyone is loving their new phones, decided on a new phone, or waiting on something to release in the next few months before upgrading.

(and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place!)

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Unless you want to root and rom your device, I would go with the gs3 over the galaxy nexus. If getting a new sprint phone today it would be the gs3 or the Optimus G. Both have excellent specs and hardware. You might be disappointed with the gNex camera as it is only slightly better then your Optimus s.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
oh, I didn't even look at the optimus g! it looks NICE! and I have my optimus s rom'd and rooted, but if the camera isn't really any better, I'll pass. I want something slightly better for the next two years!

thank you! would you personally wait a bit longer to see what comes out?

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
oh, I didn't even look at the optimus g! it looks NICE! and I have my optimus s rom'd and rooted, but if the camera isn't really any better, I'll pass. I want something slightly better for the next two years!

thank you! would you personally wait a bit longer to see what comes out?

There will ALWAYS be something bigger and better around the corner. The gs3 and optimus G are both excellent phones. But if you like rooting your phones, the gNex will have the best roms out there for the next year or more, bleeding edge stuff.

If it was me I would get the G

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I went with the GS3. The hardware seemed superior, I like the capability of using an SD card, and this phone has been through the tests. Also the battery life has it over the Nexus, no matter how you shake it or what kernel you use. The size does take a minute to get comfortable, but it's not a big deal and there will be times when you will be grateful for it (GPS, games, documents, webpages, etc).

The hardware was certainly an upgrade, but the other part of it was moving to Verizon's 4G network. You don't realize how bad Sprint sucks until you have it better.

Last edited:

jasonevil

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
i have an upgrade in 45 minutes lol....right now amazon has the galaxy nexus for .01 with an upgrade. i'm cheap so I think i will go with that lol

kcerica

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I am glad I came across your post because I too would love to know the opinion of the former optimus s users who now have a opti g & sg3.
I think I'd go with the LG in a second if it had true external storage, even though the internal storage is way more than ours I can't imagine not having that sd card so that when I get a new phone I can pop out my sd card & slide it into my new phone. I am really wondering if anyone knows if LG plans on making another phone (for sprint) like the opti g that's all their own & has a sd card any time in the very near future?
As far as the Samsung sg3 goes I'd like to know what the hard core modders from our phones have to say when it comes to customizing their new galaxy phones. I know galaxy users swear by them but they also have Samsung kies& Odin to work with whereas with our phones we just plug them into the computer & tell the phone what we want it to do & the possibilities are endless so is there much of a difference in modding the phones or limitations that we don't have on our phones? I am also wondering even though the phone does have a sd card if it supports apps2sd because the galaxy tabs that have sd cards don't but I'm not sure if Samsung deliberately made it that way or if that's a flaw of the tablet's OS.

To the OP- I hope you don't mind me asking all of these questions in your post instead of starting a new thread about the same phones you're asking about :)
Please let us know which phone your choose when you upgrade & how you like it!

Sent from my pretty xparent purple tapatalk

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
i have an upgrade in 45 minutes lol....right now amazon has the galaxy nexus for .01 with an upgrade. i'm cheap so I think i will go with that lol

U can reserve it online and go to a sprint store today and get it for free minus the wait.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
kcerica, what do you mean by "true external storage" for the optimus G? like app2sd capabilities with the sd card? do both optimus g and galaxy s3 have the same internal memory? from what I was reading off sprint's site, it looked like it? I don't know what I would've done without app2sd on this phone, and I'm still hitting the wall with memory. eek. and honestly, I really want a phone that will open the camera when I hit the button/app instead of making me wait and then taking a terrible picture. I was at a concert for new year's eve and this guy in front of me had an iphone and was taking pictures and it was so fast and they actually weren't blurred pictures. I was so jealous. is there anything out there on par with iphone's camera??

I bought my phone new year's day 2010 so I thought I was eligible today, but according to sprint's site, I have been since september 2012. oops. we've been looking into verizon, too, but it sounded like we were staying with sprint since it's still a little cheaper, even with the $10/month smartphone charge we'll all get when we upgrade.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
did some research: evidently there is no sprint 4g network in denver nor are there any plans to be anytime soon. however, verizon has one. if I'm paying for a 4g phone, it'd be nice to actually use the 4g aspect of it. hmm.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Sprint plans on finishing network vision by 14 so it your city will be upgraded

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

kcerica

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
did some research: evidently there is no sprint 4g network in denver nor are there any plans to be anytime soon. however, verizon has one. if I'm paying for a 4g phone, it'd be nice to actually use the 4g aspect of it. hmm.

And from what I hear if we do get 4G in the near future it will probably be along the lower 4G standards &I think is the same with TMobile and AT&T. I think maybe with Verizon you really might get what you pay for but their plans are kind of confusing to me & are expensive. I'm hoping if I sign another 2 yr contract with sprint they'll get their mess together well within the next 2 yrs.

kcerica

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
kcerica, what do you mean by "true external storage" for the optimus G? like app2sd capabilities with the sd card? do both optimus g and galaxy s3 have the same internal memory? from what I was reading off sprint's site, it looked like it? I don't know what I would've done without app2sd on this phone, and I'm still hitting the wall with memory.
The optimus g has no sd card slot like all of the Google nexus devices. The S3 has the sd card but I haven't been able to figure out if it supports apps2sd for sure cuz galaxy tablets don't but the phones might. It looks like they both have 32 GB internal memory but I think there's a 16 GB version of the S3 and don't forget the galaxy S4 was announced a while ago.
If you want to compare the phones here's a side by side comparison that'll probably help you more than sprint's website. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/LG-Optimus-G,Samsung-Galaxy-S-III/phones/7458,6330

Sent from my pretty xparent purple tapatalk

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have been hacking about with the Note lately. Some sick ROMs available for those. Plan on getting a bluetoof if you go that route, those things are honking big as phones, but much more portable than a full tablet.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I did some research and evidently 4g and 4g LTE are totally different and all these phones are 4g LTE now and won't work with 4g (non-LTE) connections? I'm so confused. Especially with the 4g timetables--do they mean regular 4g that doesn't even matter for these phones, or LTE? Ack. So I haven't upgraded yet and probably won't until the whole fam decides if they want 4g too or not. And we all got our last upgrades back when the $10/mo extra charge was for 4g only phones, not smartphones, so it's gonna be another $120 for each of us, so, again, it would be worth it if we actually got something out of it for the money, but it sounds like at this point, we really wouldn't. Except a new phone. So I'll wait. I'm still very curious about what you guys are choosing, though, and what the rom communities are like for them!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss