LG Optimus S unboxing

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
2: If you are within range of a known wireless, the 3G services will no longer work. Ie, if you are at home, you can't get any of the SprintID stuff to work unless you kill the wifi. This only bothers me because I'm playing around with the ID stuff (not very impressed so far... too much trial-ware junk)

All of sprint's service require you to be on their network as part of the verification process. This is a pain in the butt more so on phones with the football app or sprint TV or NASCAR app (all of which this phone doesn't have) but it's for a good reason I suppose. I'd probably do the same if I were them. ::shrugs::

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Found an app in the market called "FlashNotify" (free). What this app does is turns on your screen LEDs when you have a missed call or missed text. You can control the frequency (5 seconds, 10, 30, 60) at which the screen briefly lights up and the duration (1 minute, 5, 15, 30, never) for how long this will continue until the phone stops flashing.

My thoughts are this is a cool application although common sense would dictate it uses more battery than a standard LED notification because it's powering up x amount of LEDs rather than 1 LED. Also it only supports text and missed calls. Might be worth it for someone to reach out to the developer and see if he could add email, gmail, and gtalk notifications to the paid version.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Just read in several places that the hotspots only work with a $30 add on..is that true?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

I don't believe this to be true. It's working fine for me. You know the post where i said it was working? That was typed wirelessly tethered to my Optimus S using the native tethering. There is a $30 free associated with phone such as the EVO but that's because A) it can use 4g and B) it's using a Sprint proprietary application.

This on the other hand is using the true Android hotspot functionality that Google (not sprint or LG) includes in Froyo. Because it uses the default google hotspot functionality, I don't think that it's possible for them have verification through the services.jar file. I believe in order to restrict it they would need to remove the stock functionality and then add their own proprietary apk I mentioned above which would then use the service.jar file for authentication.

I'm not 100% sure on this but i am 100% sure it's working for me right now. Again this could simply be a 30 day trial thing BUT even if it is, just root using my guide and I'll open up my wireless tether guide again (it's not deleted, it's just hidden so only mod's can see it). Hope i didn't get too technical and cause any confusion.

EDIT - Just to confirm my suspicions, I called a friend at Sprint and was told this "I am under the impression this phone comes with wireless hotspot at no additional charge. There has been no mention of a current charge, and no mention of a future charge for this service."

EDIT #2 - Friend at Sprint was wrong but don't worry. [Exploit] Free wireless tethering for all

Last edited:

dachiefmizzy

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I am currently having the same issue with the mobile hotspot as well. Tried rebooting which didn't help much and I am still getting the error. I wonder if this will get resolved by an update or such.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I haven't been able to get the built in tethering working, any suggestions? Won't have Internet at home until tomorrow night so it would be nice to have this tonight.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I am currently having the same issue with the mobile hotspot as well. Tried rebooting which didn't help much and I am still getting the error. I wonder if this will get resolved by an update or such.

I haven't been able to get the built in tethering working, any suggestions? Won't have Internet at home until tomorrow night so it would be nice to have this tonight.

Ask and you shall receive. Wireless Tethering app for root users thread restored.

Although I have a working theory on something. smccloud if you'd like to test give me a bit to do some preliminary work then I'll PM you.

It occurred to me that my native tethering started working after i forced some new binary files. smccloud is testing the theory now.

Last edited:

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Umm, thought I had it working. First Portable Hotspot checkbox is checked, but I can't change its settings. I get the same screen as the main portable hotspot page....

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
go the market and get the free application "Hotspot Widget" by Harald Muller. After it downloads do the following

1) long press a blank spot on your screen and select add a widget.
2) press Hotspot Widget
5) Now click your new widget

Does the top of your screen look like this?
snap20101108_124220.png

Last edited:

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I think i just figured it out. If this is true ... what a cheap easy exploit this is :p

Somebody anybody go the market and get the free application "Hotspot Widget" by Harald Muller. After it downloads do the following

1) long press a blank spot on your screen and select add a widget.
2) press Hotspot Widget
5) Now click your new widget

Does the top of your screen look like this?
snap20101108_124220.png

What I don't know:
Does this have to do with me being rooted so i was able to push a different binary file (unlikely but possible) or will this work with every optimus (probable)?

That did it on my phone. I'm going to uninstall the Wireless Tether for Root users now and see if it still works.

dachiefmizzy

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Works for me now, I actually downloaded a wifi tether on/off widget called Share Switcher and it basically turned it on and I was then finally able to set up the mobile hotspot. My Optimus S is not rooted yet I am new to Android as of yesterday so getting the hang of it coming from webOS

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Works for me now, I actually downloaded a wifi tether on/off widget called Share Switcher and it basically turned it on and I was then finally able to set up the mobile hotspot. My Optimus S is not rooted yet I am new to Android as of yesterday so getting the hang of it coming from webOS

Man-o-man ..... I smell an OTA "maintenance" release coming soon. I haven't even mentioned a security flaw i found :confused:

MNTwinsFan

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Another thing i found with this phone which is kind of an annoyance is the speakerphone is insanely loud. Even at it's lowest level it is still louder than what I'd like.

Hopefully someone else can confirm that It's not my old age (I'm only 28!) and that this thing is really loud.

Yep. It's loud. :D

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Another thing i found with this phone which is kind of an annoyance is the speakerphone is insanely loud. Even at it's lowest level it is still louder than what I'd like.

Hopefully someone else can confirm that It's not my old age (I'm only 28!) and that this thing is really loud.

Its way to loud at full volume, but turned down its just about perfect for me. Maybe its due to the stupid stuff I've done like run a die-grinder & air hammer while sitting in the wheel well of a car :(

PantsOnFire

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Good to know, thanks for confirming its not just me.

Found another thing that was driving me a little batty but has an easy fix. I noticed then when on WiFi my GTalk session kept connecting and disconnecting. After some further inspection i realized it's because if you connect to WiFi, by default when you put the phone to sleep (shut off the screen), WiFi disconnects. Then when you wake up the phone it reconnects. Both of these cause GTalk, or any live service, to disconnect then reconnect each time.

To prevent WiFi from disconnecting when the screen is off:
Menu > Settings > Wireless networks > Wifi Settings > Menu > Advanced > WiFi sleep policy - check mark "never"

Wifi uses less resources (read, battery) than the cellular network so keeping it connected while you're in range is a good idea anyway. Then when you leave make sure you have a toggle on one of your screens to shut off WiFi. Leaving WiFi on while you're not in range can lead to a battery drain.

Cheers!

There is a great free app in the market called Y5 battery saver which remembers your location when you are signed into a WiFi network and will turn your Wifi off when you leave that location and turn it back on automatically when you return to the location. It uses the cellular based location info so it doesn't use GPS to determine location which would use more battery power. I've been using it on my Incredible for a long time since it has awful battery life and I installed it on my wife's Optimus S that I picked up for her (for free at the shack, score) this weekend and it seems to function as expected. I just have to pry it out of her hands now and disable the Wifi sleep function which I forgot to do :).