Installing Flash 10.1 on the Optimus S?

hephaestus

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been able to get Flash running, but I thought I'd start a thread so that maybe the hivemind can collectively figure it out. A first approximation of the instructions follows. This will require that you have rooted your phone. See KSmithInNY's excellent post on rooting the Optimus S.

These instructions assume you're using Windows. If you're using Linux, you'll need the Linux Android SDK, and you'll need to have the LG drivers installed. I haven't tried to get the LG drivers working in Linux yet, but once I do, I'll post about it.

Step 1 is to download the Adobe Flash 10.1 APK.

Step 2 is to put the .apk file you downloaded in step 1 in your android-sdk/tools directory and run:
adb install name-of-the-apk-file.apk​
In this case, that's
adb install "Adobe Flash Player 10.1_10.1.61.68.apk"​

This is where things get off track.
Without this apk installed, going to the desktop version of youtube.com in the browser shows me (if I select to view the page in browser) the blue flash-is-missing lego block. With the apk installed, the browser crashes. So, clearly, the browser sees the flash apk and tries to use it, but can't.

That's all I have so far. To uninstall the flash APK, in theory,
adb uninstall name-of-the-apk-file.apk​
should do the trick, but this fails. Instead you can do the equivalent by running:
adb shell
cd /data/app/
rm com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk

Last edited:

Gee

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I believe that the android flash 10.1 releases are CPU/GPU specific. The CPU on this thing is pretty weak and while the GPU is the same as the one on the Snapdragon, it still doesn't have integrated flash acceleration like the newer mobile GPUs. Unless Adobe specifically supports this CPU (unlikely) we may never actually see flash 10.1 on the Optimus but maybe someone can try flash lite? I would but I just sent it to my dad as a gift.

hephaestus

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Presumably the CPU speed is why Sprint disabled Flash.

In principle, the Adobe .apk should work on any Android 2.2 device, so I don't think it's compiled specifically for any particular CPU/GPU combination. I think that the obstacle to getting Flash working on the Optimus S is some check that has been implemented at the Application level to ensure it isn't used. Or maybe tomorrow, when protected apps will be visible on the Market, we'll be able to download Flash from there?

skylacan

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
From what I found, it doesn't work because flash 10.1 only supports ARMv7 based processors and the Optimus' is ARMv6. I think it's possible for LG to add support for Flash Lite 4 though.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Flash is overrated IMHO. I never used it on the EVO. Skyfire for videos if you have to. Or just find it on youtube.

The idea of using browser modifications to watch Hulu never crossed your mind, apparently. Also, there are some light apps/games that require flash on the device (Tinyshark, etc).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It did cross my mind when I had my EVO. BUT, it wasn't straight forward and could stop working at any time. I would like to have adobe AIR, though, because of the app possibilities. I personally haven't come across any apps that I want that require flash. I guess it's a preference.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
It did cross my mind when I had my EVO. BUT, it wasn't straight forward and could stop working at any time. I would like to have adobe AIR, though, because of the app possibilities. I personally haven't come across any apps that I want that require flash. I guess it's a preference.

Tinyshark is cool way to listen to grooveshark until scilor finishes his free groovemobile port. Also there are a ton of simple little games based on flash that work on the evo out of the box as well.

evanmfox

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey friends -

i'm pretty slow when it comes to phone knowledge - but, any future possibility of there being a flash player for the opt-s in the near future? it's such a bummer it doesnt have it - i'd kill for some grooveshark apps

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

evanmfox

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Flash Player in the Future?

Hey guys - i just wanted to see what the future has in store for this phone.

Think we'll have a flash player anytime to stream some videos on a browser?

Also, KSmith mentioned something about the phone increasing from 600mhz - how is this possible without new hardware?

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys - i just wanted to see what the future has in store for this phone.

Think we'll have a flash player anytime to stream some videos on a browser?

Also, KSmith mentioned something about the phone increasing from 600mhz - how is this possible without new hardware?

Overclocking the process. As for flash, not likely?

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
No flash yet it hasn't been modified for are phones but it is on ksmithny's high priority list and I think if anything it will be a light version but dont hold me to it haha

SweetBearCub

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Flash 10/10.1 Possible?

Greetings.

I'm thinking of jumping to a phone that has Android natively (from a Touch Pro 2 with WM 6.1) and the LG Optimus S came up in my search. I was looking for a phone that got good reviews, that's cheap, and that does not have 4G. (No extra $10 fee)

I see that this phone has been rooted, and has custom ROMs, and also has overclocking and hardware acceleration enabled. (Not sure on the extent of HW accel)

Granted, it's no 1 Ghz monster - But can it still run the full Android version of Flash?

Also, if anyone has a moment, comments regarding battery life, how responsive it is or isn't, things like that, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
No, unless Adobe decides to stop being jerks and compile it with ArmV6 support, we cannot use it because Adobe has decided to require ArmV7.

Simply put, in the current state, our processor cannot understand the binary code.

Flash Lite is a possiblity, but has not been done yet.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey zefie would having the flash lite apk's from the intercept help? I have a copy of the flash lite from that phone and its odex.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey zefie would having the flash lite apk's from the intercept help? I have a copy of the flash lite from that phone and its odex.

No I already tried pineone flash lite. The problem is it is designed for Eclair, which uses a different way to hook into the browser than froyo. Or at least Pineone's Flash Lite does. :(

It installs fine but doesn't show up in the browser.

turnerjazz

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I just got an Optimus S a few days ago and I have to say it's a little disappointing to get a new phone that's only been available for about a month that can't support the flash update from almost 6 months ago. Maybe it's Adobe's fault and not LG's but it's just disappointing to get what is supposed to be the best non-4G Android phone Sprint currently offers and have immediate limitations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze