Why Root This?

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
i didn't want to hijack the great how-to root thread, so posting my question here: why root this phone?

it has pretty basic hardware of 600MHz processor (or less?) with no GPU help, hence no flash support. it comes with pretty vanilla home launcher, and works quite well out-of-box.

what are the benefit of rooting this phone and is it worth it? please educate.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i didn't want to hijack the great how-to root thread, so posting my question here: why root this phone?

it has pretty basic hardware of 600MHz processor (or less?) with no GPU help, hence no flash support. it comes with pretty vanilla home launcher, and works quite well out-of-box.

what are the benefit of rooting this phone and is it worth it? please educate.

The benefits will be the same as they are with any phone.

Some of these benefits include (but not limited to):
- Moving any app to SD, not just the ones the developer allows
- Custom kernels when source code comes out. Just because it's 600MHz now, doesnt mean it will be for long ... trust me ;)
- Running apps that require root such as setcpu to better control the frequencies of the CPU or the even create custom profiles. Or cachemate which requires root access and free's up TONS of space by clearing unnecessary cache that Android holds forever.
- Better memory management (see post #2 of rooting thread)
- Custom ROM's (yes, someone is already actively working on a custom recovery image). With a custom ROM we can do alllllllll kinds of things. Improve battery life, improve functionality, improve performance, improve aesthetics on and on and on
- Since I've already mentioned a custom recovery image, lets throw in the fact that you can make a backup at anytime. This comes in handy way too often. This is a backup of data AND system. Anyone can make an backup of data, but unless you're rooted, you won't be backing up the system directory.

Again this is just a tiny sampling of the benefits. I could literally post 100 things but i think you get the idea.

Cheers!

Reactions: werkx

Gr8hifi

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I used to hop up cars and motorcycles. My wife would ask, "why are you modifying your brand new bike?" To which i'd reply, "because I can..."

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the big benefit to rooting this phone? I know people typical root to get rid of bloatware (this phone really doesnt have any) and to get wifi hotspot (which is acheived without root via a widgit - thanks ksmith!)

Bone_Enterprise

Nov 12, 2010
www.digital-ops.net
That was already explained in post #2 was it not?

At least that covers the basics without posting a hoard of information that would basically get the same idea across.
I am going to be rooting my first ever owned droid phone once our buisness gets our new account opened with Sprint (it will be a Optimus S) just from the brief advantages mentioned above.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
That was already explained in post #2 was it not?

At least that covers the basics without posting a hoard of information that would basically get the same idea across.
I am going to be rooting my first ever owned droid phone once our buisness gets our new account opened with Sprint (it will be a Optimus S) just from the brief advantages mentioned above.

I moved infitys post from the root thread to this thread. By doing so it would bump this post back up to the top of the heap so he/she could see it. I'm sure it was just a mistake where infinity didn't know this thread already existed. No harm no foul. :p

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I'll be paying attention, this is probably the first time I got a phone as soon as it hit the shelves literally. I weaked my Windows Mobile Phone until I couldnt tweak it anymore (Diamond), didnt do anything to my Hero except love it. So yes, there will be many tweaking days to come on this one. :)

KMfiremedic111

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the big benefit to rooting this phone? I know people typical root to get rid of bloatware (this phone really doesnt have any) and to get wifi hotspot (which is acheived without root via a widgit - thanks ksmith!)

Which widget is it that will allow wifi hotspot? Does this phone not already allow connection to wifi??

simon1b

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
benefits of rooting and installing ROMS

im new to android phones and looking into what you all can do with them.

what are the benefits of rooting? installing roms?

i am getting my optimus S today and looking into doing this.

what does it allow you to do?

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Already stated. But the simple version:

Rooting - gives you "SuperUser" or "Root" access; same as you'd have with an admin account on your computer. Full access to everything, which means you can back up stuff which isn't normally user accessible, and change settings which are also not normally user accessible. Many apps exist to exploit this.

ROMs - Like installing another version of the phone's OS in most cases. Allows you more control over what's on your phone than simply rooting it, including changing the color of the notification bar and overriding some carrier lockouts. Unlike rooting, this is more likely to leave the device in a non-functional state.

Both rooting and installing a new ROM will void your warranty (so I suggest if you do this you pick up an "I void warranties" t-shirt (ThinkGeek :: I void warranties).

There is a one-button method to root your phone, however I don't know of any one-button methods for installing a ROM for the phone (feel free to correct me on this, I'd very much like to see one just so I don't have to worry about my fat fingers causing a typo and ruining my phone)

kcmookie

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Noob Question Rooted/recovery/ThundeROM

Can someone give me a basic explanation of the purpose of doing the Rooted/recovery/ThundeROMed stuff listed on the site? Sorry to be such a noob, I am fairly tech savvy but this is my first smart phone so I am fairly late to the game. I am curios about doing some of the stuff, but want to understand the purpose behind it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help! :confused:

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Reasons to root:

- AdFree/AdBlock
- ThundeROM
- Optimized Kernel
- Overclock
- More control
- To learn Linux and/or Android
- Possible support for upgrades after Sprint and/or LG discontinue upgrades
- Because You Can™

Reasons not to root:
- Voids warranty unless you know how to restore to stock
- Company policy and/or not your device (work provided phones)
- You don't want to take ANY risks of instability

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
For me it added a better look and feel replacing the original ROM. It removed the SprintID garbage as well. For rooting it allowed me to add SetCPU and overclock the phone (using zefie's tweaked kernel). It has improved the performance of the phone quite a bit.