06-09-2011 11:22 AM
252 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Ha. I'm the one who has created mentioned "hotspot widget".
    (You don't probably know ... but I'm also one of the devs of "wireless tether". )

Anyway ... my "Hotspot Widget" uses method-calls which are marked as "hidden" in froyo. Even if they are hidden they are still callable :rolleyes: - so removing such a functionality like the hotspot-feature from "settings" is not enough to disable this feature

Just one question ... are you guys able to change the hotspot-settings (enabling encryption and such stuff) by clicking on the "ongoing tethering event/icon"?

btw ... linked this thread: Hotspot Widget Tethering Exploit | My Sandbox - my blog (german)
    thank you harry_m for making such a nifty little widget. i've tried your widget before/after rooting and it worked for me both times. the only thing that hasn't worked in either instance is the the hotspot settings (encryptions etc) function.
    12-09-2010 09:35 AM
    I was able to change my encryption and connect without an issue. This was a phone to phone connection but the phone that connected to me was able to connect through encrypted wifi and browse without a problem.

Encryption was was WPA2 PSK
    infid3lkastro likes this.
    12-09-2010 10:01 AM
    I was able to change my encryption and connect without an issue. This was a phone to phone connection but the phone that connected to me was able to connect through encrypted wifi and browse without a problem.
    Encryption was was WPA2 PSK
    thank you, KSmithNY!!!!!! you're a beast, sir! WPA2/PSK works!!! idk why but i couldn't even click on portable wi-fi hotspot settings when i tried this unrooted (and rooted too ). but yes, all kosher now. tnx to encryption, i don't have to look over my shoulders for bandwidth turr-rists @the coffee shop when i'm trying to get my (unlimited skip ) pandora on.

EDIT
    encryption has worked for my itouch + bberry8320.
    12-09-2010 10:41 AM
    Thank you Harry_m! I am able to change the Hotspot settings to WPA2 with a password
    12-09-2010 05:30 PM
    So you're saying my unlimited internet has a couple gigabyte cap or something?

I guess there's no real point in using the tethering anyways, unless I'm in a car and want to browse the internet. I mean really, there is internet everywhere you go for, for free.
    Yes, even though it says it's "Unlimited" it really isn't...unless you have a grandfathered plan. Most carriers have a 5GB limit on wireless and if you abuse it, you could end up getting a nice disconnection notice for going over.

It never used to be like this however people have been abusing the tether hack, and I'm assuming thats what lead to internet data caps.

Google it and you will find more info...
    12-11-2010 08:04 PM
    Using the method described in the top of this thread (wireless hotspot widget) I can enable and change wireless hotspot settings. I'm having a problem though: After enabling my hotspot, it only functions for a few minutes(~5). I checked my running applications using "Taskiller free" and saw that no new apps engaged from the time that I had enabled the hotspot to the time that the hotspot failed. A couple times, I initiated a download to see how far I could get before it shut off -- I got about 5 MB each time before it shut off but I'm not sure if that makes it shut off any faster. The only available device I have at the moment is an Acer laptop with an Intel B/G 3945 Wireless adapter. I know it wasn't a windows issue because I've tested it in both XP and Ubuntu 10.10. It could be an issue with the wireless card in this laptop but I doubt it -- my laptop has worked fine on every other wireless access point/router. I tried both available modes (wpa or open (no encryption)) and it craps out regardless.

Anyone have any ideas?
    12-11-2010 09:55 PM
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to android world! just got my optimus a week ago and can not complain cause i am a begginer but i have one quick question about tethering. HOT SPOT FEATURES

I have downloaded the hotspot widget from the droid market and tried it and it really works great, tried to connect my laptop and works terrific.

is this going to be free? using a hotspot widget from droid market? i know sprint charge 30 buck/month for hotspot if they enable that features. i have unlimited data plan so if use that 3rd party app will it be free of charge with no additional charge on my monthly plan? helop anybody!! i need to know cause i dont wanna pay extra 30/month for hotspot..

thanks
    O
    12-12-2010 12:19 AM
    Theoretically, any data across any network can have the packets captured and sniffed (yes, I work in IT ) but Sprint is not in the habit of doing this. I did this on my Q, my Q9c, my mogul, my curve, my treo pro, my pre, my hero, my evo, and now my optimus.

Anyone that has concerns should just pay the monthly fee. WT should only be used in small amounts anyway. People that use it grossly, some have posted pictures of their bill with 30 gigs in a single month, those people are begging for trouble. If you're using a minimal amount (read, under 5 gigs) your completely fine.
    how much is 5gb?? i mean i used my phone internet everyday for about 5-6 hrs a day and 5 days a week will that reach up to 5 gb? mostly you tube and video streaming.. thanks
    12-12-2010 12:42 AM
    Should be free as we are using our unlimited data plan.
    12-12-2010 12:50 AM
    will sprint find out about using the hotspot features using the 3rd party app? thanks
    12-12-2010 12:54 AM
    will sprint find out about using the hotspot features using the 3rd party app? thanks
    Well, they might become suspicious if you're using an inordinate amount of data on your plan with"un-phone-like" services...i.e. Torrents.

Eventually they'll probably patch the "hole" with LG anyway.
    12-12-2010 01:06 AM
    so with this you dont have to pay the 30 bucks a month to sprint for tethering? That was one of the reasons why I got the phone and then they were like o its 30 dollars amonth so I was like no thank you. Anyone try xbox live with it yet?
    12-12-2010 07:36 AM
    so free? sprint wont charge ya... at least not yet?
    12-12-2010 07:39 AM
    There are no guarantees, but my mantra is to not be stupid, use it wisely (ie not as my sole internet connection surfing all day long), and you should never have a problem.
    12-12-2010 06:24 PM
    hey guys can you help? i downloaded the widget (optimus s 2.2) shows up on my laptop but doesn't connect. any suggestions?
    12-13-2010 06:09 PM
    What error are u getting? what OS on the laptop? etc.
    goldaar likes this.
    12-13-2010 06:11 PM
    win 7 64bit LOL as u replied it worked. u must be magical
    12-13-2010 06:12 PM
    lol
    12-13-2010 09:36 PM
    or you could just disable the NAI in the hidden menu
    12-14-2010 08:55 PM
    thanx awesome exploit--just what I was looking for
    12-20-2010 12:09 AM
    Many thanks! Worked beautifully to connect iPod and laptop running Ubuntu. Awesome.
    12-25-2010 12:34 PM
    Works fine on my Rooted Stock Rom. But when I switch to an overclocked Kernel with Jit Enabled, I end up with a 500ms plus Ping with no download speed and an upload speed of about 700kbps on my Ipod Touch. Anyone else running into this problem?

I am just running a stock rom with the thunderom OC kernel.
    12-28-2010 03:12 AM
    Stock ROM, rooted. This widget works great! I still haven't tested it versus Barnacle, but I can't imagine there being a big difference.
    12-29-2010 10:08 AM
    Just got an Optimus S a couple days ago and this tip worked awesome for me! Many Thanks!!
    12-30-2010 03:25 PM
    Hi Ksmith I just signed up and the site contains so much useful information for android phones; anyhow, i just wanted to comment on this last past - I, like Infinity, just want to root my phone to use my phone as a wireless hotspot. Would you recommend i root the phone or just download the widget w/o root? And is there a risk (besides doing OTA) that Sprint would charge me for using wireless tethering, i mean could they find out that I 'activated' it? thanks for your help.
    01-01-2011 11:15 PM
252 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD