[How-To] Wireless Tether for VD

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
STOP
and read whats below

The ZVD update broke the ability to wirelessly tether for free. Please do not make a thread to discuss why this disappoints you and why you really need it. We get it lol we love free tethering too!!!!! You do have some options.
1) Force flash back to a previous version. Thread can be found HERE. Please do not discuss this method here. Read the force flash thread and ask any questions in that thread.
2) Root your phone, which also requires fore flashing an old version, but then allows you to flash custom ROMs after you flash a custom recovery. That thread can be found HERE. Please do not discuss this method here. Read the root thread and ask any questions in that thread.
-Wired Tethering-
3) If you don't want to force flash, and don't want to root then you do have the option of using an app like easy tether from the android market. The app is free to try, one time fee of $10 if you want to buy. Again, this is wired tethering, not wireless.

STOP
and read whats above

I apologize in advance for the misleading title but something has to be done to try and reign in all the threads about wireless tether not working anymore :) . The fact of the matter is wireless tether works just fine ... if you pay for it. for those who'd rather not pay for it, your options are above.

Please note, the options above are the only options if you want wireless tethering for free. We're (the development community) not holding back some super secret way that with 1 click gets you back up and running. This is it. You either follow the instructions, or pay for it monthly through sprint, or use wired tethering.

-------------------------
-------------------------​

Once you are opn VC or V9 software, the instructions to tether are below. Again THIS WILL NOT WORK ON SOFTWARE VERSION VD

Open Menu > Settings > about phone > if SW Version = LS670ZVD then this process will not work for you. WARNING WARNING!!!

This does not require root and works on rooted and non-rooted phones alike.

go the market and get the free application "Hotspot Widget" by Harald Muller. Any hotspot widget should work but we'll use Haralds in this example. After it downloads do the following:

1) long press a blank spot on your screen and select add a widget.
2) press Hotspot Widget
5) Now click your new widget

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Speaking of free wireless tethering, I was under the impression that you can use the native froyo app instead of the Sprint app and get free tethering ??

There is no sprint tethering app on this phone. They locked down the native tethering which this exploit bypasses the verification.

After hearing I was the only person that could tether it was process of elimination which led to the widget being the answer.

Reactions: Kkthnxbye

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I went for the Wireless Tether For Root Users found at android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code
I had to use the wireless tether 2.0.5-pre12.apk and it works fine.
A) you must be rooted. This exploit works on rooted and non rooted phone's.
B) that's an additional app taking up RAM to do a function the phone can already do.

Cheers

Edit. - I will say though that wireless tether has more customization options though. The native one really doesn't offer any choice regarding encryption protocols.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Any non-rooted users doing this? On the optimus T the same exploit turns on hotspot but the user can't get assigned an IP. Just want to make sure someone besides me and cmcloud have actually connected. Not just turned it on but actually used it.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Worked great for me, thanks! I also verified this works with the "HotSpot Toggle" widget by Mehdy Bohlool (I liked the smaller icon on this widget better).

One quick question, if I do root my phone will I be able to use the stock 2.2 wireless tethering app (without the widget)?

Last edited:

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Damn. Well I guess I can put off rooting for awhile, as the whole reason I wanted to root was to get the wifi hotspot app. Thanks again for the tip. I just have to remember to avoid any updates ;)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Damn. Well I guess I can put off rooting for awhile, as the whole reason I wanted to root was to get the wifi hotspot app. Thanks again for the tip. I just have to remember to avoid any updates ;)

Yes sir, as long as you don't do any OTA's then you'll always have the option to root later and WiFi tether SHOULD keep working no problem. Next update could potentially patch both exploits then you'll get the joy of paying $30 a month to Sprint or waiting for the next guy to figure out how to root it ;)

Reactions: kekil

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Brilliant. I miss the free tethering on my Windows Phone, so thanks for finding this.

Out of curiosity (still new to Android), is there a simple way to tether via USB so I don't run down the battery as quickly as WiFi does?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
those methods would require root. there are apps in the market for that. i honestly can't think of the one that everyone recommends for that.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
those methods would require root. there are apps in the market for that. i honestly can't think of the one that everyone recommends for that.

PDAnet comes to mind... just noticed it in the market, and there is a free version.

Personally not afraid to root (planning on doing that later tonight anyway), but this was just so simple I had to ask.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
the free version of PDAnet only supports HTTP sites. Any secure site HTTPS, you need to buy the $30 license.

Oh ... and you need to install an application on a computer and drivers before you can use it. That might not be possible for some that have mac, linux, or maybe its a work PC.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
i found the way to do it using quick settings. just joined here to share it with everyone, but you beat me to it. thanks for sharing. my method has a few more steps. you have to install quick settings and turn it on from there.

kanuckles86

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
ok so wait....

is this REALLY FREE? when i went to configure settings i noticed it just took me to the hotspot settings already on the phone...AKA the paid settings? can someone or the poster PLEASE confirm that this is free?

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
it takes you there for configuration but if you try to activate it from that screen you'll notice it doesn't work. thats where it's disabled. using either the hotspot widget mentioned here or quick settings bypasses the lock from the settings page. but you still need to configure it if you want it to be locked out from anyone jumping on.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
is this REALLY FREE? when i went to configure settings i noticed it just took me to the hotspot settings already on the phone...AKA the paid settings? can someone or the poster PLEASE confirm that this is free?

Let me help clarify .....

Android comes with a free wireless hotspot feature. If you were to buy an unsubsidized phones such as the N1 this feature would work right out of the box. The carriers though do not like this feature as this is something they can charge you for. For example, sprint charges $30 for this, T-MO charges $15, and the other carriers charge amounts as well.

If you were to go into the settings and activate hotspot without paying Sprint their $30 monthly fee, you'd get an error telling you the network is unavailable. This is because you are not paying for the feature. You can try this for yourself right now by going to Menu > Settings > Wireless and network > Portable hotspot - check mark portable wi-fi hotspot. The reason you get this error is because your data profile does not have WT (DUN) activated. If you were to pay Sprint $30, you could then update your data profile Menu > Settings > about phone > update profile and it would work.

What the widget does is activate wireless tethering and bypasses the built in authentication. This is not a feature of the widget but rather a loophole left open on some phones like the Optimus S for example. Sprint will not be able to differentiate between this data and data you'd use on the browser on the phone. To them it all looks the same, data is data. You can be assured Sprint/LG will certainly be patching this in the near future via an OTA update. As long as you don't accept the update, this should continue to work.

Also please keep in mind, because we are not paying the $10 premium data fee like the EVO or epic users, we do still have a 5 gig softcap on our data. Even though the data is called "unlimited" the agreement you signed actually says there is a 5 gig softcap which, if you continually surpass, Sprint reserves the right to cancel your contract.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech