06-09-2011 11:22 AM
252 ... 45678 ...
tools
    He never said what OTA
    Correct, they will certainly patch the hole but we will have the answer to that prior to them patching it
    02-10-2011 12:14 PM
    Updated mine this afternoon and my wireless tethering is still working. Great buch of folks here... My favorite place to hang out...
    02-10-2011 02:13 PM
    We have 3 Optimus S's I use the "free" tether on my phone but don't let the kids have it on theirs for fear of them letting all their friends jack a connection for GB's and the like. So I am waiting to let the update push to there phones, oddly enough thou mine was the first to receive it , theirs have not..hummm ;/
    02-10-2011 09:52 PM
    LG Vortex on Verizon.
    I had updated my software to the latest version (2.2.1) and the Hotspot Widget would not work. I followed the instructions to downgrade the software and it came right up, no problems. Now to go back to Verizon and drop my $30/month Mobile Hotspot feature from my account.
    Thanks for saving me the money!
    Now I have to read the rest of the forum to see what else I can do!!
    02-10-2011 10:31 PM
    Just want everyone to know I did the maintenance release and the hotspot still works perfect.
    02-11-2011 12:56 PM
    I just updated and can confirm as well that the hotspot is still working after the update.
    02-11-2011 03:31 PM
    does not work on my stock optimus s.

thanks!!

edit: upon actually trying to connect to the network with my laptop, it was unable to secure a connection, regardless of whether the network was open or had wpa turned on. stinks.
    02-12-2011 12:02 AM
    I am, however, able to get it to work using another app/method.

I downloaded 'Quick Settings' from the Market.

After installing the app, I opened it, pressed Menu>Customize and scrolled down until I found 'Wi-Fi Hotspot'. Dragged that up towards the top of the list (as long as its visible) and exited out of the app. From there I just attempted to turn on the Wi-Fi Hotspot through the normal Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks>Portable Hotspot>Check 'On'.

Works perfectly. Sad thing, it's actually just as fast as the low-end DSL I'm on right now.
    CubanoRafter likes this.
    02-12-2011 12:30 AM
    A) you must be rooted. This exploit works on rooted and non rooted phone's.
    B) that's an additional app taking up RAM to do a function the phone can already do.

Cheers

Edit. - I will say though that wireless tether has more customization options though. The native one really doesn't offer any choice regarding encryption protocols.
    I've been using Wireless Tether but just tried both Hotspot Widget & HotSpot Toggle after reading your post (thanks!). Both widgets work great and connect much faster to my Macbook Pro than Wireless Tether. I agree, Wireless Tether gives you more settings options. In particular, it allows the wireless transmit power to be adjusted from 30mW down to 3mW. Since I only use it to connect with my laptop when my phone is right next to it, selecting 3mW seems to drain the battery less than when it's set at 30mW (makes sense) without affecting downloads speeds. When either widget is used, transmit power is at its peak with no way to reduce it. They both work great though, and I believe I read on another post that they work with the VC update.
    02-13-2011 07:45 AM
    I just updated and can confirm as well that the hotspot is still working after the update.
    very helpful!
    02-14-2011 09:56 AM
    I'm a little confused.

On a stock V9 Optimus S, there is a settings menu option

Menu->Settings->Wireless&Networks->Portable Hotspot

If I enable this, the blue hotspot icon shows up in the status bar and the hotspot seems to be working with a PC.

Is there something that this widget is doing beyond what is built in?
    808rides likes this.
    02-14-2011 01:22 PM
    must be a difference on VC? when i try on V9 i get a message that the network is unavailable and my data dies until i hit ok. widget works great for me.
    02-14-2011 03:10 PM

Anyone know how to disable all updates to begin with? This last one I kept trying to close it out and it would keep coming back. Must have tried like 50 times.
    02-14-2011 04:42 PM
    must be a difference on VC? when i try on V9 i get a message that the network is unavailable and my data dies until i hit ok. widget works great for me.
    Ok, thanks, when I get some time, I'll try some different versions to see how they behave.
    02-14-2011 07:21 PM
    I am, however, able to get it to work using another app/method.

I downloaded 'Quick Settings' from the Market.

After installing the app, I opened it, pressed Menu>Customize and scrolled down until I found 'Wi-Fi Hotspot'. Dragged that up towards the top of the list (as long as its visible) and exited out of the app. From there I just attempted to turn on the Wi-Fi Hotspot through the normal Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks>Portable Hotspot>Check 'On'.

Works perfectly. Sad thing, it's actually just as fast as the low-end DSL I'm on right now.
    Thanks DB09, I have a stock Optimus S and have all the latest updates (I believe there was a firmware update 2 days ago I installed)... I tried the "Quick Settings" app just now and that worked for me. I connected right away but it took a full minute or 2 to have internet access on my Win7 laptop (maybe to acquire a new IP... dunno). I also connected with an "open" network, but will try later with security enabled.

Now I know to stop updating my phone!

Malachi
    02-15-2011 02:02 PM
    I'm a little confused.

On a stock V9 Optimus S, there is a settings menu option

Menu->Settings->Wireless&Networks->Portable Hotspot

If I enable this, the blue hotspot icon shows up in the status bar and the hotspot seems to be working with a PC.

Is there something that this widget is doing beyond what is built in?
    I'm on rooted stock VC and this works for me as well. Even allows WPA2 PSK excryption. And it's fast, I'll try speedtest it, but it feels a lot faster than using the wireless tether for root.

Thanks for pointing this out!
    02-24-2011 08:52 PM
    thank you for your work this appps work great
    02-25-2011 07:46 PM
    I have an Evo Shift and installed the hotspot widget but when I try to connect to it, it requires a password. I put in the default password and it connected but for local use only, no internet. My husband has the Optimus S and he has the same widget and his works wonderfully. How can I get my phone to where it can be used as a wireless hotspot as well? I tried to root it through unrevoked, but my device is not supported because it is the original Speedy version. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to pay $30 more to Sprint for wireless tethering.
    02-27-2011 12:25 PM
    I have an Evo Shift and installed the hotspot widget but when I try to connect to it, it requires a password. I put in the default password and it connected but for local use only, no internet. My husband has the Optimus S and he has the same widget and his works wonderfully. How can I get my phone to where it can be used as a wireless hotspot as well? I tried to root it through unrevoked, but my device is not supported because it is the original Speedy version. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to pay $30 more to Sprint for wireless tethering.
    They have been able to root the Shift (my husband has one but won't let me touch it, lol). It's not a one-click method though. Check over at XDA, they can help you out.

Sent from my Veganized Gtab using Tapatalk
    02-27-2011 07:34 PM
    im getting the same message..how did u get urs to work? i tried the "Quick Settings" moved the wifi hotspot to the top of the visible settings went to turn on the hotspot and still getting the same results.
    02-28-2011 10:12 PM
    yea i was getting the same message..then i try PDAnet and was driving me crazy because it couldnt find drivers..i ran into this thread and the widget works awesome!!! alot easier than PDAnet and its wireless! ...thank you so much OP!!!

how many devices can go on this?
    03-02-2011 10:16 AM
    Can anyone verify that they have been using the app for a period of time and have not been charged by sprint?
    03-09-2011 11:37 AM
    Can anyone verify that they have been using the app for a period of time and have not been charged by sprint?
    I only ask because I don't want any surprises on my bill.
    03-09-2011 11:46 AM
    No Hotspot widget avail on my new optimus.
    03-09-2011 03:48 PM
    No Hotspot widget avail on my new optimus.
    Market dude.
    03-09-2011 06:02 PM
252 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD