[How-To] Wireless Tether for VD

leroyjones

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick not but theres also an app that lets you adjust setting for hotspot and let you put a password. Works on the s and the v I have both..It's listed as wifi hotspot settings, i found this with the widget the day I got my phone. Enjoy.

nolanm

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Is this the update?

My Optimus S wants to install an update this morning...does anyone know if this is the update that will disable the free wireless tethering?

N0mad47

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Updated mine this afternoon and my wireless tethering is still working. Great buch of folks here... My favorite place to hang out...

In2pro

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
We have 3 Optimus S's I use the "free" tether on my phone but don't let the kids have it on theirs for fear of them letting all their friends jack a connection for GB's and the like. So I am waiting to let the update push to there phones, oddly enough thou mine was the first to receive it , theirs have not..hummm ;/

dwb993

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
LG Vortex on Verizon.
I had updated my software to the latest version (2.2.1) and the Hotspot Widget would not work. I followed the instructions to downgrade the software and it came right up, no problems. Now to go back to Verizon and drop my $30/month Mobile Hotspot feature from my account.
Thanks for saving me the money!
Now I have to read the rest of the forum to see what else I can do!! :)

db09

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
does not work on my stock optimus s.

thanks!!

edit: upon actually trying to connect to the network with my laptop, it was unable to secure a connection, regardless of whether the network was open or had wpa turned on. stinks. :(

Last edited:

db09

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am, however, able to get it to work using another app/method.

I downloaded 'Quick Settings' from the Market.

After installing the app, I opened it, pressed Menu>Customize and scrolled down until I found 'Wi-Fi Hotspot'. Dragged that up towards the top of the list (as long as its visible) and exited out of the app. From there I just attempted to turn on the Wi-Fi Hotspot through the normal Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks>Portable Hotspot>Check 'On'.

Works perfectly. Sad thing, it's actually just as fast as the low-end DSL I'm on right now.

Reactions: CubanoRafter

rmay

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
A) you must be rooted. This exploit works on rooted and non rooted phone's.
B) that's an additional app taking up RAM to do a function the phone can already do.

Cheers

Edit. - I will say though that wireless tether has more customization options though. The native one really doesn't offer any choice regarding encryption protocols.

I've been using Wireless Tether but just tried both Hotspot Widget & HotSpot Toggle after reading your post (thanks!). Both widgets work great and connect much faster to my Macbook Pro than Wireless Tether. I agree, Wireless Tether gives you more settings options. In particular, it allows the wireless transmit power to be adjusted from 30mW down to 3mW. Since I only use it to connect with my laptop when my phone is right next to it, selecting 3mW seems to drain the battery less than when it's set at 30mW (makes sense) without affecting downloads speeds. When either widget is used, transmit power is at its peak with no way to reduce it. They both work great though, and I believe I read on another post that they work with the VC update. :cool:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little confused.

On a stock V9 Optimus S, there is a settings menu option

Menu->Settings->Wireless&Networks->Portable Hotspot

If I enable this, the blue hotspot icon shows up in the status bar and the hotspot seems to be working with a PC.

Is there something that this widget is doing beyond what is built in?

Reactions: 808rides

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
must be a difference on VC? when i try on V9 i get a message that the network is unavailable and my data dies until i hit ok. widget works great for me.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
must be a difference on VC? when i try on V9 i get a message that the network is unavailable and my data dies until i hit ok. widget works great for me.
Ok, thanks, when I get some time, I'll try some different versions to see how they behave.

CubanoRafter

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I am, however, able to get it to work using another app/method.

I downloaded 'Quick Settings' from the Market.

After installing the app, I opened it, pressed Menu>Customize and scrolled down until I found 'Wi-Fi Hotspot'. Dragged that up towards the top of the list (as long as its visible) and exited out of the app. From there I just attempted to turn on the Wi-Fi Hotspot through the normal Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks>Portable Hotspot>Check 'On'.

Works perfectly. Sad thing, it's actually just as fast as the low-end DSL I'm on right now.

Thanks DB09, I have a stock Optimus S and have all the latest updates (I believe there was a firmware update 2 days ago I installed)... I tried the "Quick Settings" app just now and that worked for me. I connected right away but it took a full minute or 2 to have internet access on my Win7 laptop (maybe to acquire a new IP... dunno). I also connected with an "open" network, but will try later with security enabled.

Now I know to stop updating my phone!

Malachi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair