[How-To] Wireless Tether for VD

808rides

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little confused.

On a stock V9 Optimus S, there is a settings menu option

Menu->Settings->Wireless&Networks->Portable Hotspot

If I enable this, the blue hotspot icon shows up in the status bar and the hotspot seems to be working with a PC.

Is there something that this widget is doing beyond what is built in?

I'm on rooted stock VC and this works for me as well. Even allows WPA2 PSK excryption. And it's fast, I'll try speedtest it, but it feels a lot faster than using the wireless tether for root.

Thanks for pointing this out!

lotsopets

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have an Evo Shift and installed the hotspot widget but when I try to connect to it, it requires a password. I put in the default password and it connected but for local use only, no internet. My husband has the Optimus S and he has the same widget and his works wonderfully. How can I get my phone to where it can be used as a wireless hotspot as well? I tried to root it through unrevoked, but my device is not supported because it is the original Speedy version. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to pay $30 more to Sprint for wireless tethering.

debh945

May 15, 2010
www.scrappincop.com
I have an Evo Shift and installed the hotspot widget but when I try to connect to it, it requires a password. I put in the default password and it connected but for local use only, no internet. My husband has the Optimus S and he has the same widget and his works wonderfully. How can I get my phone to where it can be used as a wireless hotspot as well? I tried to root it through unrevoked, but my device is not supported because it is the original Speedy version. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to pay $30 more to Sprint for wireless tethering.

They have been able to root the Shift (my husband has one but won't let me touch it, lol). It's not a one-click method though. Check over at XDA, they can help you out.

Sent from my Veganized Gtab using Tapatalk

mikey412

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
must be a difference on VC? when i try on V9 i get a message that the network is unavailable and my data dies until i hit ok. widget works great for me.

im getting the same message..how did u get urs to work? i tried the "Quick Settings" moved the wifi hotspot to the top of the visible settings went to turn on the hotspot and still getting the same results.

mikey412

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
must be a difference on VC? when i try on V9 i get a message that the network is unavailable and my data dies until i hit ok. widget works great for me.

yea i was getting the same message..then i try PDAnet and was driving me crazy because it couldnt find drivers..i ran into this thread and the widget works awesome!!! alot easier than PDAnet and its wireless! ...thank you so much OP!!!:cool:

how many devices can go on this?

zman519

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Has any one tried this on the new software version LS670ZVD update?

Or found any wifi and or wired tether app that works on ZVD?

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The thread has been unstuck as VD breaks it. I warned of this in November when i posted the thread. Those with unrooted phones should just be happy they had 5 months of this service free :)

Your options now are:
1) Call Sprint and pay for the tethering service.
2) Root your phone.

vaelyan

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I am driving, riding actually, and using my optimus as a hotspot, we basically having a mobile LAN party. Anyways I've been using it for a hotspot since late Dec and haven't been charged for it. Still using the v9 software.

Funny part is I'm sending this from my evo.

Last edited:

mikey412

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
is this a force update pushed by sprint or do u have to agree to install it? i have update thats been ready but i havent updated cuz there was nothing wrong with my phone

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
is this a force update pushed by sprint or do u have to agree to install it? i have update thats been ready but i havent updated cuz there was nothing wrong with my phone
You have to agree to the updates Sprint pushes to you also.

So far Sprint has not made VD and OTA update yet. It is only for LG Software Updater side-loading right now. Eventually that will change. You should always choose the LG Software Updater method. Do NOT take the OTA updates.

zman519

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The thread has been unstuck as VD breaks it. I warned of this in November when i posted the thread. Those with unrooted phones should just be happy they had 5 months of this service free :)

Your options now are:
1) Call Sprint and pay for the tethering service.
2) Root your phone.

And what do you do with 2 ? what about C) leave VC on don't update.
what app will tether in AP mode on VD ad-hoc is point less in my book.