Optimus vs Hero question

outdors21

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
So, about 15 days ago, my phone met a watery grave on vacation. The only place that sold Sprint phones in the immediate area was the Wal-Mart. I eventually chose the Hero (best option available), and wasted my two year upgrade on it.

Wal-Mart has a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy, and I am wondering if I should return the Hero and get an Optimus.

I am not too thrilled with the Sprint ID stuff (is it easy to remove/disable?) and plan on using a June upgrade on a 3rd line for whatever newer phone is out, anyway.

But in the mean time...is the Optimus a worthwhile upgrade over the Hero in your minds?

Thanks for any advice!

sankaty

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Never used the Hero, so I can't comment on that, but it is definitely *much* faster than the Intercept. As for Sprint ID, I selected the "Clean" ID on first boot, which downloaded, but I ignored the prompt to install it and rebooted the phone. As far as I can tell, there is no trace of any ID packs. I'm running Launcher Pro, and am very impressed with the phone so far.

Should add: I have an Evo. The Optimus is for my wife. I've gotten spoiled by the speed of the Evo compared to most phones, but the Optimus keeps up perfectly fine for most tasks. Really seems to be a great value.

Reactions: outdors21
Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a hero with CM6 and I have it overclocked to 710mhz and so far this Optimus is much faster. Live wallpapers work great and it is alot less laggy. For the price I cant see going wrong with the optimus. PS if you go to radio shack on facebook and like them they will give you a coupon to get the optimus for free. I returned my Zio to Best buy and had them price match the free coupon from radioshack.

outdors21

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Also - how would you guys compare the screen quality? I think the Hero looks pretty good and want to know if the Optimus is a lateral move? Backwards move?

Thanks.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I would say the screen looks just as good. I havent been able to find out if the screen is glass or plastic. I think it is plastic and if it is a screen protector is going to be a must.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I would say the screen looks just as good. I havent been able to find out if the screen is glass or plastic. I think it is plastic and if it is a screen protector is going to be a must.

It's plastic. Press down on it. If that was glass flexing like that it would shatter. Screen protector is a 100% must with this phone. I haven't come across 1 yet but i'm hoping boxwave comes to the rescue. They are by far my favorite screen protector.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have it on good word the Optimus one has a glass screen.

::sniff sniff:: anyone else smell that? Smells like a project to me :D

EDIT - I was just checking online looking for replacement digitizers for the Optimus one (p500) and unfortunately, the bottom of the screen is slightly different due to the button arrangement. It's a bummer but who knows what will come in our future.

Last edited:

ehiggins

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a hero and just received the optimus for my wife (radio shack deal). It's nicer than the hero. I have the hero OC'd to 698 and Angry Birds plays 100% better and all the backgrounds render.

I've been waiting to upgrade my Hero, but I can't decide if I want a high end or just the optimus, it seems great except for my root won't take and the no led notification but it's great for free.

kekil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the Hero for a year. For the last few months I had it rooted and was switching between FRESH ROM and CM6.0 RC1 and CM6.1 RC1. I did some benchmarking tests between these Hero ROMS and the new mid-range Sprint Android phones. Optimus kills them all in benchmarking and actual use. In my boredom today, I put together my testing results in Google Docs.

The Transform and Zio were disappointing, and I found a deal at Radio Shack for the Optimus, so I got it. Then I ran the benchmarks on my new Optimus and it blew the others out of the water. Good upgrade from the Hero. A few features missing (trackball, light sensor, led), but in every other way, the Optimus rules. Better build quality, better camera, better processor and graphics handling, much faster speed, proximity sensor, and Android 2.2 of course! I've only had it for about 12 hours, and I'm very happy with it.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I wonder since the button lights dont stay on all the time can we use those for notifications?

Yea I got this as an upgrade for my house phone that was a pre. This phone kicks my hero's a$$ as far as performance. Im thinking of calling sprint and swapping the two phones so I can use it more.lol

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I wonder since the button lights dont stay on all the time can we use those for notifications?
Have you noticed how bright (or should i say dim) those buttons are? Unless you are in a completely blacked out room those buttons won't serve a purpose for notifications.

There is an app in the market called flashnotify that uses your screens LEDs but it only does missed calls and text messages. In the unboxing thread i suggested someone contact the developer and inquire to the possibility of adding email, gmail, gtalk notifications as well to the paid version.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I heard that it was glass too but who knows...

Also - I have had the Hero for a little under a year, and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It didn't matter what it was OCd at or what ROM...it was so laggy and buggy that it made me want to smash it daily. I didn't want to use my upgrade because I'm waiting for dual core phones, so I bought the Optimus from a private party. This phone is 100X better than the Hero...hands down. Don't get the Hero unless you want a turd for a phone!! :p

allen369

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I myself have owned the hero and love it. I had a custom CM6 and clockwork recovery. It was a nice phone. I missed it. Losed it:( So then I got the optimus and it is a kick ass phone. One thing I don't like with the optumas is there is no roll ball and now eazy back to edit spelling. I have owned G1, hero, zio, and now the optumas.G1was the best, optumas, hero, and werst zio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis