11-16-2010 09:48 PM
26 12
tools
    Well-I am just about to take the dive and order this phone on Sprint's web site and switch off Verizon to Sprint. Anybody have any reason why I shouldn't? Is everybody pretty happy with this phone?
    I'm in NYC. I understand that the Sprint service is now as good as Verizon.
    Speak now or forever hold your phone!
    11-11-2010 05:20 PM
    I just bought this phone last week for my GF.

For reference, I am a HTC EVO owner.

Well, my GF just switched over from Verizon.

This phone is like a tiny version of the EVO. Obviously it is only a 3G phone.

The phone is solid, camera is only 3.2MP but takes decent pictures (much better than my G1 ever did).

It runs 2.2 Froyo already so that is a bonus.

My only negative is that it currently does not run flash and due to processor, it may never officially get flash, however... I believe if you root it, you will probably be able to run flash.

I have waited to root my GF's phone until she decides whether she wants to keep it or if she will want a EVO or Galaxy S.

Either way this is a very solid phone with very solid features especially for only $49.99.

Good luck with your decision.
    droidfool likes this.
    11-11-2010 05:28 PM
    I picked it up for the wife and while setting it up fell in love with it. Its just simple and works.
    11-11-2010 06:07 PM
    I traded up from the Palm Pre. It has its few little niggles, but, I'm pretty freaking happy with it.
    11-11-2010 06:23 PM
    Heard phil says the optimus is faster at loading menus and is just more optimized over the evo, X and inc...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    11-11-2010 06:25 PM
    Here's a reason not to get the Optimus S: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...rd-issues.html
    11-11-2010 07:09 PM
    No issues here. Replaced the stock 2gb SD card with a 16gb and everything is smooth sailing.

Zero lag for me and I've installed at least 25 apps. I really, really like this phone.
    11-11-2010 07:37 PM
    Did you have issues with the original SD card that came with the phone?
    11-11-2010 07:39 PM
    love this phone other then not having swype on it and still have yet to be able to find a way to install a working version of swype i am happy with it
    11-11-2010 08:14 PM
    Honestly? No idea. I switched it out immediately. I could run some tests on it tomorrow to see.
    11-11-2010 08:14 PM
    love this phone other then not having swype on it and still have yet to be able to find a way to install a working version of swype i am happy with it
    Just don't ask how to get it here.

Sent from my Optimus T
    11-11-2010 09:43 PM
    The 2GB microSD card it came with had some problems for me, but the 8GB card I swapped it with has been in my Optimus S for a little over a day with no issues. I also haven't had any issues with the phone locking up... I'm very, very happy with this phone (especially having come from a Palm Centro!).
    11-11-2010 10:21 PM
    I had an EVO since the first day it came out but I sold it and got the Optimus S. Even though the EVO is a higher end phone I prefer the Optimus S. Here are the reasons why. I was running CM on my evo and didnt have 4g. I never missed it. For what I use my phone for the 3g speed is perfect. The evo is very fragile, meaning I had to be very careful how I hold it for fear of dropping it. Thats not the case with the Optimus S. The Optimus has physical buttons with a bigger bezel. It was hard to hold the evo with one hand when pressing the touch buttons. I was always pressing the search button by mistake and that drove me crazy.

The optimus is fast. The only cons I have with this phone is the internal memory is too little, and even though its running stock froyo I cant get the wii controller to work. Before the evo I had a BB 8900 on T-mobile and I loved that phone so the screen size is not a problem for me. Angry birds work and thats the only game I play on my phone even when I had the evo apart from the snes emu. If I can get the wii controller to work, then I'll be set for a while.
    11-12-2010 12:08 AM
    No issues here. Replaced the stock 2gb SD card with a 16gb and everything is smooth sailing.

Zero lag for me and I've installed at least 25 apps. I really, really like this phone.
    this.
    11-12-2010 12:23 AM
    Seriously, its the first and only budget handset I can actually say is GOOD. Like, surprisingly good for the price point. This really took everyone by surprise, i think...

I wrote up my own little mini review here:
    mopocket Blog Archive LG Optimus – A budget sleeper hit?
    11-12-2010 12:49 AM
    i think a HUGE part of the appeal so far is the way sprint left out all the usual preinstalls. its almost completely untainted. if you don't intall any id's other than the one that comes on it (and i don't know if everyone is aware but you can uninstall alot of the apps that come in that one), it's just almost a blank slate of pure google apps. leaving it up to us to decide what we want is definitely a step in the right direction.

basically the only non google apps i have are sprint zone (widget uninstalled) and sprint id. but no apps installed from the stock id. awesomesauce.
    11-12-2010 01:23 AM
    So far, I love it. I cracked the screen on my beloved Pre, but it was time to upgrade anyway. After being lost in the world of Palm for the last 5 years, the Optimus is pretty cool, so far. Haven't rooted it yet though, so I"m sure it will only get better. Go for it, if you don't like it you always have the 30 day trial period with Sprint.
    11-12-2010 01:51 AM
    11-12-2010 08:45 AM
    I wonder why the Optimus T got swype and the S didnt
    11-12-2010 10:25 AM
    I wonder why the Optimus T got swype and the S didnt
    Swype licences their software to both carriers and manufacturers. For example T-Mobile purchased the software so all the android handsets they choose to put it on will get it while all Samsung Galaxy S phones will have Swype regardless of carrier because Samsung purchased the software for that specific line of handsets.
    11-12-2010 11:40 AM
    my phone kept removing it and such. I just backed up the information on it to my computer, formatted my card, re-added the data, and thus far, have had zero problems in the last few hours
    11-14-2010 07:35 PM
    Had a samsung phone that i just wanted to trow in the trash. I had an LG years ago and was a very good phone so decided to go LG again.
    Love this phone. Solid feel, very fast UI, and in my opinion faster internet than At&t.

Complains.
    Cant increase vibration intensity. Seems like its also an android limitation.
    Speaker is in the back. Its still loud enough, but it be best if it blasted sound to my face.
    Enabling vibration feedback while using the keyboard makes the input lag. I just disabled that and I dont think I need it.
    Ringtone volume might be not loud enough. It might be the ringtone itself. I have not received many calls since i got it.
    11-15-2010 08:11 AM
    Just don't ask how to get it here.

Sent from my Optimus T
    its simple to get swype, just apply for their beta
    11-15-2010 08:57 AM
    And.......swype will be on your OTA update your phone will receive within the next day or so.....

For the price, simplicity, sturdiness, lack bloatware, and full functionality of virtually all other handsets (except screen size, memory, and processor) it is an unbelievable phone. LG announced yesterday that they have sold over 1 million Optimus handsets already with verizon just now launching. That is one successful phone launch!
    11-16-2010 09:36 PM
    Where did you find out that Swype will be in the as of yet unannounced OTA?

Sent from my LG Optimus S using Tapatalk Pro
    11-16-2010 09:38 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD