move cursor within text...

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
One issue I've found mildly annoying about the layout of the Optimus, is that there is no easy way to move the cursor within text.

In other words, if you type a whole sentence and realize you spelled one word wrong, it is EXTREMELY difficult to put the cursor back in exactly the correct spot to delete/replace one letter.

On other devices you have options, such as using the keyboard (arrow keys) or even a trackball (Hero, Droid Incredible, etc) to move the cursor around.

We have neither. And unlike the EVO, we don't have the large display to make this easier or the HTC-customized keypad that includes on screen arrows.

I suppose the answer is to install an alternative soft-keyboard, but I've kind of gotten used to the simplicity of the stock Android one. Did Google not give us a way to do this stock?

s33ker

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
How about just tapping in the general area where you want to make the correction. Making a few extra taps on the backspace button is no big deal.

Gr8hifi

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I found that when typing an address in the browser, I can "swipe" the address right and left. I know that's not what you're looking for, but it def helps in fixing long web addresses.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
i think lg is who didn't give us one.

While technically true, Google designed the OS to be modular, able to adapt to different form factors and layouts. The keyboard that comes up on our phones is not from LG, but rather the stock keyboard by Google if I am not mistaken.
It shows up on just about any Froyo device that doesn't have a custom one pre-installed (such as HTC Sense).

Google is well aware that Tablets and other slate style devices devoid of any keys or scrollwheels are out there. I would think this is something they would have addressed and not required a custom solution for. After researching the matter more in various forums, I found many people noticing the same thing.

I'm sure they will address it eventually, I'm just surprised and figured there was something I was overlooking since it seems too obvious a feature to so many.

Even WebOS with its tiny Pre and Pixi displays have a way to scroll through a line of text (hold the orange key and slide your finger in either direction). Deleting and retyping should not be the solution IMO.

But you've all answered my question: No. Google doesn't offer us a solution. Perhaps they are still expecting either keys or a wheel from the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Also, because of the openness of Android Google knows that there will be other options out there if you don't like the built in keyboard. This is true of pretty much anything that comes built in to Android. That's the beauty of open source. :)

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Also, because of the openness of Android Google knows that there will be other options out there if you don't like the built in keyboard. This is true of pretty much anything that comes built in to Android. That's the beauty of open source. :)

You're right that we are given the ability to fix our own problem with third party add ons, but I'm not a fan of having to do that, mostly because of the "too many cooks" syndrome that plagued Windows Mobile (a common by-product of fragmentation). In a nutshell: when too many people put their own spin on something without some kind of supervisor ensuring that everyone is on the same page, you often end up with concepts colliding and UI inconsistencies.

For example, imagine someone took the Android keyboard, and simply added arrow keys to the bottom, pushing the entire thing upwards to take up more space. Now imagine a third party SMS app doesn't know how to arrange the display for the larger keyboard, and ends up blocking the input area entirely so you can't see what you're typing.

I used to have things like this happen all the time with WinMo, and was one of the reasons I was so eager to jump ship. Google seems to have thought Android through more thoroughly, thereby eliminating the need for third party meddling in basic functionality.

I think its more likely Google expected SOME form of key entry on the original design, much like a menu, home, and back button are required to use the OS as intended.

Sure, a hardware manufacturer could create a device without those buttons, but then they will need to come up with some way to replace those functions elsewhere. I suppose NOMster is actually correct in saying it was LG who missed the boat here, giving us a device without D-pad or scroll ball (ala EVO) but without replacing the missing function (ala HTC Sense keyboard).

Meanwhile- interesting little tidbit I found while experimenting with the stock keyboard: Swipe your finger upwards to reveal a temporary extension that includes numbers and punctuation. Life your finger and it goes away. Cool.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You're right that we are given the ability to fix our own problem with third party add ons, but I'm not a fan of having to do that, mostly because of the "too many cooks" syndrome that plagued Windows Mobile (a common by-product of fragmentation). In a nutshell: when too many people put their own spin on something without some kind of supervisor ensuring that everyone is on the same page, you often end up with concepts colliding and UI inconsistencies.

For example, imagine someone took the Android keyboard, and simply added arrow keys to the bottom, pushing the entire thing upwards to take up more space. Now imagine a third party SMS app doesn't know how to arrange the display for the larger keyboard, and ends up blocking the input area entirely so you can't see what you're typing.

I used to have things like this happen all the time with WinMo, and was one of the reasons I was so eager to jump ship. Google seems to have thought Android through more thoroughly, thereby eliminating the need for third party meddling in basic functionality.

I think its more likely Google expected SOME form of key entry on the original design, much like a menu, home, and back button are required to use the OS as intended.

Sure, a hardware manufacturer could create a device without those buttons, but then they will need to come up with some way to replace those functions elsewhere. I suppose NOMster is actually correct in saying it was LG who missed the boat here, giving us a device without D-pad or scroll ball (ala EVO) but without replacing the missing function (ala HTC Sense keyboard).

Meanwhile- interesting little tidbit I found while experimenting with the stock keyboard: Swipe your finger upwards to reveal a temporary extension that includes numbers and punctuation. Life your finger and it goes away. Cool.

I agree with what you're saying but if I wanted the manufacturer to have that much control I'd get an iphone.

Android has quirks that have to be dealt with. I'll deal with those for the benefits I get. :)

Sent from my Optimus T

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree with what you're saying but if I wanted the manufacturer to have that much control I'd get an iphone.

Android has quirks that have to be dealt with. I'll deal with those for the benefits I get. :)

Sent from my Optimus T

Its not a control thing. They can allow us to do whatever we want without REQUIRING us to do so. That's all I'm saying.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If they had put Swype on this version like they did on the VZW & TMo versions then we wouldn't have this issue. Ah well...

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
If they had put Swype on this version like they did on the VZW & TMo versions then we wouldn't have this issue. Ah well...

Did not realize the other versions came with swype... hmm. Wonder who's decision it was to leave that out, Sprint or LG?

Giancarloaf

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Got my optimus on Wednesday, got the OTA update right away but I don't see a way to move the cursor with swype... Did I miss something?

Love swype, love android (first time user), not a fan of tapping around randomly.

Anyone else?

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Got my optimus on Wednesday, got the OTA update right away but I don't see a way to move the cursor with swype... Did I miss something?

Love swype, love android (first time user), not a fan of tapping around randomly.

Anyone else?

Still an issue. But I've moved on, and just accepted this as another limitation the slate form factor. My next device will have a keypad.

Giancarloaf

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
SOLUTION FOUND

There is a secret menu in Swype. I found the info here:
Swype - Menu you didn't see - Android Forums

Slide your finger from the "Swype" key (bottom left) to the "SYM" key. A menu with various supplementary options will appear, including directional buttons!!

For more tutorials look here: http://swypeinc.com/tips-tricks.html

If the first poster wouldn't mind editing his post, I'm sure you could close this thread =P

Last edited:
Reactions: lobuzz311 and dishe

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Anyone else?

Still an issue. But I've moved on, and just accepted this as another limitation the slate form factor. My next device will have a keypad.

SOLUTION FOUND

There is a secret menu in Swype. I found the info here:
Swype - Menu you didn't see - Android Forums

Slide your finger from the "Swype" key (bottom left) to the "SYM" key. A menu with various supplementary options will appear, including directional buttons!!

For more tutorials look here: Swype | Text Input for Screens

If the first poster wouldn't mind editing his post, I'm sure you could close this thread =P
I was just about to post this as I was reading thru the thread.:cool:

memsman

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Also, moving the cursor has been made very easy in gingerbread version. Of course that requires rooting your phone. Just FYI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678