Apps to help replace missing LED's on Optimus phones

Young_Bon

Banned
Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello; here's a question:

Does anyone know if it would be possible to write a program that would flash the Optimus S's lighted buttons as a notification without also flashing the screen? Or, in other words, can the lighting of the screen and the buttons on the Optimus S be separately controlled?

I know that by running "Missed Message Flasher," one can sort of manage this, by setting the screen and buttons to flash so briefly that the screen doesn't have time to turn on.

But I wonder if there is a way that a developer with enough knowledge could create a program that could really have the lighted buttons turn on and off, without making the screen turn on, however long the buttons are set to flash?

It would be nice to have a dedicated app to control the flashing buttons independently from the screen backlight, but I don't know if the hardware on the Optimus allows this, even in theory (For all I know, it's the very same wire that powers both the button lights and the LCD backlight, which would be unfortunate).

Any thoughts?

yes I wish there was an app like that. Maybe Beezy or Nick7 might make one

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Notification of calls and messages??? How?

I'm not quite sure what to call this, so was stymied in my searches. On the Optimus, as far as I can tell you have no idea if a call or message has come in while you weren't looking or listening. My "dumb phone" spoilt me....

is there a way? I've had to resort to trying to remember to pick it up, get the screen on, and look to see if any notice is sitting there.

is there an app that will beep or something periodically to let you know that yo Momma called???

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what to call this, so was stymied in my searches. On the Optimus, as far as I can tell you have no idea if a call or message has come in while you weren't looking or listening. My "dumb phone" spoilt me....

is there a way? I've had to resort to trying to remember to pick it up, get the screen on, and look to see if any notice is sitting there.

is there an app that will beep or something periodically to let you know that yo Momma called???

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...help-replace-missing-leds-optimus-phones.html

Reactions: Ihorn and cognus

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
for the record I tried FlashNotify. nice settings nice interface but it was buggy on my Froyo 'T' model. It worked in flash mode, but when I turned the audible alert on, it killed the flash permanently. could never get it to work after that. Also seems to get frozen by other apps but that's just an observation... not sure what was going on under the hood. Also it will not shutoff until everything is cleared up, and then it has a delay before it gets the message.

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
none stable

I've yet to find one of the flasher's or audios that works consistently.
it seems that anything else loaded on the system that deals with the powersave screenoff function interferes with all others.
if anyone knows of a notification 'flasher' that is robust enough to ignore other intrusions, please post.

the handcent popup does work, but its buggy in how it displays... in fact as best I can tell, the default messaging program gets invoked by the handcent popup. in other words, when one opens/accesses the handcent "popup" that pops up, its not the handcent conversation window.

speaking of handcent - does anyone have a good forum for that one? it has one major issue that has me looking for a better alternative

jadenj5

May 31, 2011
Visit site
ive tried all three of the options listed, and i still think handcent is the best. my phone is usually in my pocket anyway, and is always on vibrate. even when i dont feel it, i check it every 10 minutes lol. force of habit ;p

dolla_bill

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
i know this phone has no led but, what are the 2 circles up in the area near the sprint logo, if you havent seen them check it out next time you are in the sun

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Notifications, and
Messaging, [the simply horrid embedded monster they call messaging]
are the two worst liabilities of this phone/handset/thing. I actually got LG to open a "case" for me to refer these to the product team as "flaws" or whatever. just a simply abysmal fail on the part of product managers [not the engineers... who actually did pretty well with the confines they were assigned].
other than these two dreadful and potentially fatal flaws, this is a great product at its pricepoint.

I've found no good way around either of these intractable nuisances... the embedded corruption defeats every attempt, so far, to remedy these and make the phone useful.

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, I prefer Tasker profiles for missed notifications. The apps listed in the first post are all lacking in one way or another. With Tasker I'm able to set notifications for calendar, google voice, etc. Downside is battery drain due to wakelocks.

LED... I'll never buy another smartphone without it.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the premise. What with one reason and another, I look at my phone often enough that I will see any incoming calls/voicemails/emails soon enough, regardless. I certainly don't need to have my battery drained by a bright blinking light.

When I deliberately pick up the phone to look at it, that's when I can address your message. :)

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the premise. What with one reason and another, I look at my phone often enough that I will see any incoming calls/voicemails/emails soon enough, regardless. I certainly don't need to have my battery drained by a bright blinking light.

When I deliberately pick up the phone to look at it, that's when I can address your message. :)
Necro on a sticky? LOL

I get what you're saying; elminating some nag factor is a positive thing. However, some of us like to know subtly but immediately when we have a new notification. If I step away from my desk for a few seconds without the phone, it's nice to know if I have a new message or an appointment reminder upon returning. I was 4 minutes late to a conference call today and it probably could have been avoided by a blinking LED or a supplementary app.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar