Home button to lock the phone?

ws1088

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I came from a phone with the "pick up the call" (green) and "hang up the call" (red) buttons. I got used to (when the phone is sleeping) pressing the red button to show the unlock screen, and then pressing the red button again to lock it back (to sleep mode). This allow me to quickly check for the current time, whether there are emails, etc.

With the Optimus S, from the sleep mode, I can press any button to show the unlock screen (which is fine), but I have to always press the power button to lock the screen back to sleep mode.

I played around with this phone and thinks that it will be great if I can lock the phone when I short press the home button when I am on the home launcher screen.

Is it possible? Probably a small app in the Market?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Im sorry im not catching what exactly your trying to do or what kind of apps your wanting cuz I dont know are you saying can you initiate a call then you can press the home button to get to the main screen also you can press the sleep button to put the phone to sleep while in call to save battery but that if I got what your saying you wanted to do but if your talking about using other apps like gmail while in a call you need wifi on before trying to use it if im complete wrong let me know and I can try and help you alright

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
In your menu, if im understading u right that is, is an option under security where you can set ur phone to lock as soon as the screen goes off.....and u should be able to set the screen time out as well.....I know we have two different phones but I can turn my screen off (sleep)with a short press of the power button,,,,and with my screen set to lock immediately, its locked when I wake it back up....not sure if that helped or not :)

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like the OP wants to simply be able to lock the phone by hitting the home button on the phone when on the launcher screen rather than by hitting the power button on top. I don't think the phone comes with the provision to do this out of the box, but I don't see why an app couldn't. Dunno if anyone has written an app to remap the buttons like this, but maybe it'd be something easy to do in App Inventor? I think it'd be more likely to find an already-written app that provides an on-screen widget for locking the phone rather than mapping the home key to it.

ws1088

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Let me try to clarify. Please try the following.

- unlock your optimus
- keep short-pressing the home button

you will notice that nothing will happen after the 2nd press

What I am trying to see if there is any app which allow me to turn off the screen on the 2nd or 3rd short press of the home button.

Thanks!

Radicalnm

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Locking Screen.

If I am understanding you correctly. There is an app called "Lock Screen Widget" that might do what you want it to. Press the widget and screen locks. Not from the menu button but it works. I don't like to press the power button so I put one lock screen widget on each page of my desktop. That way I don't have to go to main page to lock phone.

Hope this helps.

rodcpierce

Android FTW. Apple FTL
Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
he is trying to get the home button to act as the lock screen button. So basically when its sleeping, he can press the home button, and it will wake the phone up to the lock screen (showing the unlock, sound, time and date), then by pressing it again it will turn the screen back off. Im assuming he came from something like the Hero.

I personally would like one of the dev's to be able to rewrite what each hard button does. Like the google search button for instance. Thats completely useless to me, and im used to having my end call/power/lock screen button there. So i am always hitting it to lock the phone, and it opens up google search. Thats a PITA. I would like the google search hard button (bottom right corner of phone) to act as the end call/lock button.

Make sense now?

sirjoebob

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If youre rooted you can use "button remapper". It's a buck in the market and is really easy to set custom hardware button configs and even prompts you to revert on boot in case you screwed up. I used it to make voice dial a media next button. Works great with this phone.

Sent from Optimus S with OC kernel and THUNDERom.

Reactions: kalex

devgrp

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can already use the home button to wake the phone up, but I think he wants it like CM6 where you could set the menu button to unlock the phone

rodcpierce

Android FTW. Apple FTL
Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
If youre rooted you can use "button remapper". It's a buck in the market and is really easy to set custom hardware button configs and even prompts you to revert on boot in case you screwed up. I used it to make voice dial a media next button. Works great with this phone.

Sent from Optimus S with OC kernel and THUNDERom.

thanks!!!! that helps a TON. i didnt know about this app. Now, my search button is power, so I can hit that and lock the screen! Awesome. it also is the end call button.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan