Crash that prevents voice actions from searching my contacts

Chum

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Last week on my Optimus S I experienced a force-close when going to my contacts. Later that day I noticed whenever trying a voice actions search for 'call FIRSTNAME LASTNAME mobile', it would NO LONGER SEARCH MY CONTACTS and instead do a google search.

I also noticed that when trying the 'email to FIRSTNAME LASTNAME', and 'text message to FIRSTNAME LASTNAME', commands it would create an email or text message addressed to nobody but instead make the body of the message contain the FIRSTNAME LASTNAME text or something close to it.

I tried everything - rebooting the phone, clearing data for contacts and redownloading from my Google contacts, clearing data for the voice actions, that didn't fix the error. I tried to uninstall the voice actions but the OS prevents that. I turned syncing off, back on again. I went to my Google search settings and toggled contact searching off and on again. I even hard reset my device, re-setup my Google account, downloaded all my Google contacts but still no luck.

I called Sprint and tech support walked me through another hard reset that also cleared the radio (so I had to re-activate the phone). Still no luck being able to use the voice actions and have my contacts be searchable.

I ended up exchanging the phone for a completely different Optimus S. This NEW PHONE IS CORRECTLY SEARCHING through my contacts list when attempting the 'call', 'email to', and 'text message to' voice action commands.

It is pretty clear to me that something (possibly that force close I experienced within my contacts?) screwed up the firmware that even a hard reset couldn't clear out. I truly hope this issue is figured out before it happens again!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR