[APP] Roam Control Optimus (NO ROOT REQUIRED)

gooberlx

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It's great for me at work where Verizon's network signal (roaming for Sprint) is plentiful, but Sprint's network is weak...but just strong enough to cause the phone to switch between them all day. As mentioned, that causes inconsistent call connections, and it also absolutely kills the battery.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll be waiting for this to hit the market. I can use it at work.

Wondering why you are waiting for it to hit the market. It is possible to install it right now. Download a file manager like Astro from the market first, then download this app to your phone. Navigate to the "download" folder on your SD card in Astro, click on the app, hit "Install", and there you go.

Reactions: mike9670

dcshobby

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No 3G when forced roam

Hello. I downloaded the apk and when I force the roam to roam, it does not connect to EVDO but only 1X. When I have the phone on automatic and it roams automatically when there is no Sprint native signal, it roams and connects to 3G but it will NOT do this when I force it to roam. Do you know why this would do this only when I force to roam and not when it roams automatically?

I did not mess with the other settings in there either.

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Sprint's contract with most carriers only allows for 1xrtt data roaming. It depends on what tower you are roaming on.

dcshobby

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Sprint's contract with most carriers only allows for 1xrtt data roaming. It depends on what tower you are roaming on.

I know a lot of their roaming agreements only allow 1X. What I am saying is that when I force roam, my phone connects to an Alltel network SID 1372, which is not Verizon's SID 26 for Minnesota. When I force roam, it connects only to 1X but when I have my phone on automatic, when I roam because of no sprint signal, still on the same 1372 SID, I connect to EVDO Rev. A through the same alltel network. I have tested this in the same area on my college campus and it is exactly what I'm describing. PRL 60672 allows EVDO roaming on SID 1372 as did 60671. I have tested this many times and when I had the EVO just a week ago and had the Roam Control app, when I forced roam, it connected to 3G EVDO as well but with your method, I am forced to 1X only?

fifedogg

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Hello. I downloaded the apk and when I force the roam to roam, it does not connect to EVDO but only 1X. When I have the phone on automatic and it roams automatically when there is no Sprint native signal, it roams and connects to 3G but it will NOT do this when I force it to roam. Do you know why this would do this only when I force to roam and not when it roams automatically?

I did not mess with the other settings in there either.

I was curious about this aswell...I love being able to have full bars when i force roam in a location with poor Sprint service. But I hate always being stuck on 1x. Either way its a good comprimise to atleat be able to make/recieve calls.

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Personally for me I would do exactly what the developer did for SetCPU...He kept it free for members of XDA and charges in the market place.

When refined with exact controls I would have no problem paying like .99 for it.

Just a suggestion...

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
It costs $25 dollars to be a registered developer on the Android market. This project is on hold for the time being since it is stable and works, but when I get the time to add on to it (and I have the money..) I'll put it on the market for a small fee.

Reactions: postman25

postman25

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Nick7,

Thank you for making this app available, it works like a charm. It was easy to install using the Astro app, and I'm not very savvy with cellphone technical stuff.

At my job, I have always had to go outside to avoid dropping calls. Now I don't have to freeze my butt off. Thanks again!

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Nick7,

Thank you for making this app available, it works like a charm. It was easy to install using the Astro app, and I'm not very savvy with cellphone technical stuff.

At my job, I have always had to go outside to avoid dropping calls. Now I don't have to freeze my butt off. Thanks again!

Glad I could help. I'll let you guys know when the new version is ready to be released on the market.

dougdeep

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I know "Roam Control" doesn't work on the Optimus, but there's another app on the market called "Roam Override" which claims to work on the Optimus without root. Has a widget.

I haven't tried it yet, but plan to when I travel for the holidays and actually setup my google checkout.

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes! I just got a PRL hack up and running. Connected to Verizon towers with great service and EVDO. I'll post up a how to guide later tonight.

Reactions: kalex