Anyone still on stock ROM?

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
so, anyone with a stock rom still out there?

I could really use your help testing something out... I'm having trouble streaming certain formats on Thunderom, and I'm fairly certain it has to do with stagefright. What I'm curious, however, is whether or not they worked on the stock one before we manipulated anything.

So, if you've got a stock rom, can you download WinAmp from the market and try to play a shoutcast stream (there is an option from the menus there to listen to shoutcast, winamps' streaming radio protocol- search and try to play anything from there)?

Also, can someone with a stock setup try to watch something using the standard browser and media player through ORB?
If you've got an ORB server set up already, you should be able to log in via the browser and click a streaming link to open in movie player. Well, its not doing that, even though it works on other android phones.

Thanks!

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll be hijacking my wife's phone tonight to check out the NPR app for ccrs8....if no one has done this for you then I'll try too....what the heck is ORB though?

AciDeX

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'll be hijacking my wife's phone tonight to check out the NPR app for ccrs8....if no one has done this for you then I'll try too....what the heck is ORB though?

Orb is a media serving app that once installed on your home PC you can log on from a phone our another computer and have access to your music, movies, and documents.

Reactions: shortyjacobs

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a stock rom, so I tested your issue and I get "failed to play requested stream"

Drat. This is on WinAmp, I assume? So it must be a stagefright issue. According to ksmithinNY, Stagefright is completely disabled in the stock 2.2 setup from LG, however froyo is supposed to have it which means apps looking for it will fail. Its not a thunderom issue, then. Its a stagefright/LG one.

Problem is, enabling stagefright breaks some other codecs apparently, and I still can't tell what is causing ORB to fail (tried it with Stagefright enabled and disabled on custom rom).

Cool!! I'll HAVE to check this out....hopefully I can make it work!

Yeah, ORB is super awesome- allows live sources like TV tuner cards and webcams, so its sort of like a free Slingbox.

I used to use it to remotely monitor my house via laptop, check on pets while at work, etc., using the webcam feature.

On my old winmo phones, we even used it to check in on the babysitter while the Mrs and I were out at a movie (before you get any ideas, my wife made me tell the babysitter first that we might check in from time to time. Besides, she could tell when the webcam light would turn on).

I honestly didn't try it on my Android setup until recently (wanted to monitor hanukka candles remotely), but it is SUPPOSED to work on a stock EVO, I've seen people do it. Not sure why our setup is different.

Reactions: albertjasa

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
My main TV runs off of a Win7 box with dual tuners, tons of saved movies and shows and stuff....it'd be incredible to stream that stuff....Definitely let me know if you find a fix, I'll do the same.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh. nevermind then :) I wanted to use it with my Windows Media Center. I'm using Ceton tuner in it so I get my tv via MCE

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to confirm on my wife's phone as well, shoutcast streams in winamp, (on a stock ROM), do not work.

*sigh*, yeah, figured. Thanks anyway.

Oh. nevermind then :) I wanted to use it with my Windows Media Center. I'm using Ceton tuner in it so I get my tv via MCE

I think ORB will detect the tuner hardware and work with that. Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do, but I don't see why MS media center matters here...

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Orb

I am able to use Orb to stream to my phone. You just have to use the app for android. I haven't bought the full version yet, but the free version is streaming video and music. Video quality isn't the best, but i don't have a great signal where I'm at. The free version only shows you a few of your files at a time. The web portal doesn't work on any of the browsers i tried.

kellsarah

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
got a few streams to work on my phone with ThundeROM 1.4 connected to 3G. I can't get any to stream with my wifes phone using stock rom over 3G

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084