07-25-2011 10:19 PM
56 123
tools
    can you please list the steps to take to stop your phone from receiving the OTA updates?
    And is this already set in ThunderROM 1.6.2?
    02-02-2011 12:01 PM
    Its early feb I want my gingerbread
    02-05-2011 07:45 AM
    can you please list the steps to take to stop your phone from receiving the OTA updates?
    And is this already set in ThunderROM 1.6.2?
    My question also, I am running stock, but want to keep the "root" option available for future considerations. When OTA updates come, do we have a choice on the phone, to accept them, or not? Or is it automatic?
    thanks,
    Jim
    02-05-2011 08:41 AM
    My question also, I am running stock, but want to keep the "root" option available for future considerations. When OTA updates come, do we have a choice on the phone, to accept them, or not? Or is it automatic?
    thanks,
    Jim
    You should have the option to accept or not, just as you did the v9 upgrade that came out. Remember?
    02-05-2011 11:05 AM
    You should have the option to accept or not, just as you did the v9 upgrade that came out. Remember?
    Nope, don't remember, only had my phone for about a week.
    02-05-2011 04:03 PM
    The automatic updates don't automatically install. They download to your cache partition and prompt you to install when complete. You can say "no."
    02-05-2011 04:35 PM
    Its early feb I want my gingerbread
    I popped into my local Sprint store on Monday and asked about Gingerbread update for the Optimus S, and she gave me a deer in the headlights look. She looked in the playbook that they use for supposedly insider information not released to the public, and said that there wasn't anything in the works. Then she said that she doubted a "low end" phone like the optimus would get Gingerbread before the "high end flagship phones" like the EVO.

So then I asked about the fact that LG supposedly wants to stay ahead of the game to remain an up-and-coming player in the android market so their goal was to provide better support, and she blows me off like that's a novel idea that will never see the real world.

I think she just didn't like not know all of the answers. She didn't even mention the update their pushing now, so I doubt her playbook is useful at all.
    02-08-2011 10:52 PM
    I popped into my local Sprint store on Monday and asked about Gingerbread update for the Optimus S, and she gave me a deer in the headlights look. She looked in the playbook that they use for supposedly insider information not released to the public, and said that there wasn't anything in the works. Then she said that she doubted a "low end" phone like the optimus would get Gingerbread before the "high end flagship phones" like the EVO.

So then I asked about the fact that LG supposedly wants to stay ahead of the game to remain an up-and-coming player in the android market so their goal was to provide better support, and she blows me off like that's a novel idea that will never see the real world.

I think she just didn't like not know all of the answers. She didn't even mention the update their pushing now, so I doubt her playbook is useful at all.
    Since when are sales persons ever helpful with high level technical questions. That goes for any store on just about any product. Thats why forums exist.
    02-09-2011 04:16 PM
    where oh where is our gingerbread? have there been any updates on the timeframe or anything?
    02-15-2011 09:11 AM
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...ad-teaser.html <- Some of our rom cookers got bored and made us a Gingerbread house if you don't want to wait :P
    02-15-2011 09:28 AM
    yes Optimus V is out now but for now only at radio shack for $150 awsome deal since the specs are the same as optimus S and V even uses the same cell towers Sprint!
    02-16-2011 11:51 AM
    "Then she said that she doubted a "low end" phone like the optimus would get Gingerbread before the "high end flagship phones" like the EVO. "

High end flagship phones? They haven't even got 2.2 yet!!! Someone dropped the ball big time by not giving those phones an update to 2.2 asap. I strongly believe we will get 2.3 on the Optimus S soon enough. It is such a popular phone that we will at least get a couple or a few more android and firmware updates before the Optimus S gets "old" in terms of cell phones and they simply stop updating their "older model" phones. They can't update them for ever, but we will get taken care of for a little while longer.
    02-16-2011 08:54 PM
    "Then she said that she doubted a "low end" phone like the optimus would get Gingerbread before the "high end flagship phones" like the EVO. "

High end flagship phones? They haven't even got 2.2 yet!!! Someone dropped the ball big time by not giving those phones an update to 2.2 asap. I strongly believe we will get 2.3 on the Optimus S soon enough. It is such a popular phone that we will at least get a couple or a few more android and firmware updates before the Optimus S gets "old" in terms of cell phones and they simply stop updating their "older model" phones. They can't update them for ever, but we will get taken care of for a little while longer.
    The EVO is selling with 2.2 now.
    02-17-2011 09:08 AM
    The Samsung Epic still has 2.1.
    02-17-2011 09:18 AM
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...ad-teaser.html <- Some of our rom cookers got bored and made us a Gingerbread house if you don't want to wait :P
    I'm still not brave enough to root my phone :/ but I remember someone saying early feb and... it's mid feb. oh well.
    02-17-2011 03:19 PM
    I'm still not brave enough to root my phone :/ but I remember someone saying early feb and... it's mid feb. oh well.
    No one that mattered actually said early February. A magazine posted part of a conversation with a support rep who just made that up. Anytime you see information and it involves "A support rep said..." or "The salesperson in the store told me..." you can safely assume all of that information is 100% BS. Once somewhat solid information becomes available, you will see it spammed all over this forum and various websites.
    02-17-2011 03:29 PM
    The Samsung Epic still has 2.1.
    She said high end phones. lol

People, that want Gingerbread, just root your phone and go get it. I rooted my wife's phone in about 15 minutes last night and then loaded up Gingerbread. Seems to be running great.

I already have experience in rooting phones as I also own an EVO, but for those that do not, all I can say is do not be intimidated by it. As long as you can follow directions, it is quit simple.

I think a lot of people are afraid of the term root and think it is some crazy wacked out thing. The rooting part is simple and then once you flash a Rom through recovery 1x you will be an expert on flashing roms going forward.

If anyone needs help or has any questions about rooting and the effects, just post away. There are a ton of people willing to help.

An Androuid device that isn't rooted is like buying a Ferrari that can only go 60mph. You must root to really enjoy Android and your device!
    02-19-2011 08:30 AM
    News is end of may. Thought I would update.

http://androidcommunity.com/lg-optim...ring-20110319/

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    03-19-2011 10:16 PM
    Wtf? Available through the android market? Would that be a first?
    03-21-2011 11:38 AM
    Since the LG update tool allows maintaining root because it does not touch the recovery partition (thus leaving a custom recovery intact) this may be a diabolical scheme to trick us into something like an OTA update and foil rooting yet again. Do not rush in and apply this if this is indeed what happens. Wait for the cooler and wiser heads that lead this forum to investigate. Remember that Zefie and others are working on CM7 (Gingerbread-based CyanogenMod ROM) even now.
    03-21-2011 12:42 PM
    My hope is when its released, zefie can pretty much fix everything in cm7 for us.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    03-21-2011 10:26 PM
    Yes, that would be the safest use for it plus he could then add Swype.
    03-21-2011 10:55 PM
    Since the LG update tool allows maintaining root because it does not touch the recovery partition (thus leaving a custom recovery intact) this may be a diabolical scheme to trick us into something like an OTA update and foil rooting yet again. Do not rush in and apply this if this is indeed what happens. Wait for the cooler and wiser heads that lead this forum to investigate. Remember that Zefie and others are working on CM7 (Gingerbread-based CyanogenMod ROM) even now.
    I believe you're absolutely right.
    03-22-2011 05:59 AM
    Yes, that would be the safest use for it plus he could then add Swype.

you can still sign up for the swype beta....been using that on both my hero and the optimus

and yes, i'm on CM7
    03-22-2011 09:51 AM
    I might be an old stick in the mud, but I don't like Swipe. I tried it for about an hour (probably not enough time) and just didn't enjoy it. It seemed like I had to wait a few seconds between each swiped word to be populated, which ultimately didn't seem faster than hunting/pecking for each letter and then selecting the suggested word. Maybe I'm just too fast with regular QWERTY texting to appreciate the difference?

I dunno, I think I'll wait for infrared pupil-detection or a direct neural interface.

Aside from that, Gingerbread will be tasty...
    03-23-2011 10:25 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD