Any benefit to deleting factory installed apps/other tweaking for new user?

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
OK, this is my first smartphone, so I'm a total noob to phones/apps/phone performance but not to computers. It seems to me that phones are becoming more and more like our PCs these days, so that has me wondering if I should delete some of the preinstalled crap that comes on this phone. Just like with a name brand PC that you buy at a store which comes with a ton of bloatware/crapware that I uninstall the second I get it up and running (or do a fresh OS install to overwrite and get rid of all the factory installed crap applications).

So, is there any point to doing that with my Optimus S that I just bought? I have not installed a single new app/widget/anything yet. I plan on doing so, and probably will root the phone in the next couple weeks so that I can install some other cool stuff and possibly overclock the phone, etc. I overclock my computers, modify my cars, etc, so I figure I'll get in to doing the same thing with my phone.

Any other tweaks I should perform to get the most performance out of my phone and ensure that it stays performing well as I start to install applications/widgets/etc. Should I be putting everything on the supplied 2GB SD card, or on the phone itself, or does it not matter?

Any other advice you guys can give me before I get started is appreciated.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, this is the first smartphone that I've owned that didn't have a lot of carrier bloatware. That being said, when you install one of the IDs (except Clean), it will put a lot of crap on your phone that, unless you actually have a use for it, you can easily uninstall. As for installing to SD card, not every application is going to allow it (without root, of course) and some apps you really don't want on your card (e.g. home screen widgets, launchers, etc..). As for tweaks and such, well all I can say is scour these forums and you'll learn much more than the average bear.

ColdRush

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I personally disliked the sprint ID garbage they were pushing for this phone when I got it so I immediately rooted and flashed thunderom to it. I really don't see many other benefits to it besides having a cleaner phone in general, and being able to use superuser utilities. Thunderom does add more functionality depending on the user, just check the changelogs for it. I personally don't use it, but it's nice to know I have the option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21