Wifi calling

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
WiFi calling? Wouldn't that be considered VOIP? We can already do this with Google Voice. Am I missing something?

T-Mobile charges for each minute used through their service, even if the calls are made over WiFi. We can use WiFi or 3G data to make free VOIP calls already.

Heck, I make free calls from home using my home cordless phone. Google Voice with Sipgate. There is only one caveat; I have to dial out from a soft pad on the computer, but then I transfer the call to my cordless phone. In fact anyone with gmail can make a VOIP call from their desktop straight from their inbox through 2011.

LACAGuy

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Lets say that you are traveling outside the US where there is no CDMA coverage and you want to make calls and check email. The email will work over wifi, but is there a way when you have no coverage that you can still make calls?

If so, can you elaborate.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Voip

O.k., so after some testing of my own phone, I am unable to remove cell signal and make a call. It is available at home, but not on our phone yet I do not believe. In case you want to do it from home, here is the link.

You would need an adapter to make it work with a standard cord or cordless phone. There are several different ways this can be done.

Maybe you are to something. I assumed that google voice would by default attempt WiFi first, but I believe it just uses whatever the default on the phone is for handling calls, which is cell signal. Sorry.

Last edited:

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
SIPDroid

free wifi calling for all

i set this up last night. takes about 15-20 minutes. i already used google voice to make all calls so the caller id remains the same. of course i probably won't use it much since i never use minutes anyway, but i wanted to try it and it does work.

Just set it up, varying call quality, but free calls over wifi, when I am not at home. That rocks, now if there was only a hack to make the SIPDroid app work over 3G, then we could call for free through Data, when our minutes get low.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
i would think that if you have this and wifi at home, you probably won't ever get low on minutes. of course you could always add sprint to home for 5 bucks and put down the patch number that google voice uses and then all your outbound calls are free regardless.

chardog

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Lets say that you are traveling outside the US where there is no CDMA coverage and you want to make calls and check email. The email will work over wifi, but is there a way when you have no coverage that you can still make calls?

If so, can you elaborate.
skype paid service, roughly 2 cents a minute, I use it for work. Works great, but horrible customer support.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Minutes

i would think that if you have this and wifi at home, you probably won't ever get low on minutes. of course you could always add sprint to home for 5 bucks and put down the patch number that google voice uses and then all your outbound calls are free regardless.

Actually we have five phones sharing 1500 minutes and normally do not even break 1000, but hey, who needs to watch the clock when we are at home as to who we call. We have the Data Everything plan so we get cell phone to any cell phone included, but anything extra is always good.