Is there a way to make the screen turn off without locking the phone?

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I am new to android and I'm wondering if there is app or setting or any way to make my screen turn off without actually locking the phone up (regardless of if you're using a pin/pattern/password or not).

For instance say I'm just sitting on the couch casually texting with someone, getting a text every few minutes or something like that. I'd like the screen to black out after X amount of time (say 30 seconds or so) in order to conserve battery, but it is supremely annoying to have to enter my password or even do the default unlock left to right swipe in order to read each dang text I get. Or if I'm driving in the car and need to make a phone call, having to either force my screen to be on by changing the screen timeout setting (draining battery and annoying me if it's night time because there's lit up phone screen in my peripheral vision) or forcing me to perform some arbitrary action like "unlocking" the phone. I'm thinking there's got to be a way around that. Please tell me there is.

Last edited:

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Seems to. Tested it up to 5 minutes (had screen timeout set to 15 seconds, then waited 5 minutes to press a button and the phone was still unlocked, home screen came right up when i pressed the home menu button).

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
By the way, thank you.

Assuming this continues to work (a few reviews have stated that it worked for X amount of time and then stopped working) it will greatly lower my annoyance level lol.

LOL a conditional thanks huh lol... well i hope it continues to work for you

i thank you for the thank you though lol

Reactions: nealoc187

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I hope you don't make any pocket dials. Without the lock, if the phone wakes, and the right static touches the screen, it can do whatever. To each his own.

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I hope you don't make any pocket dials. Without the lock, if the phone wakes, and the right static touches the screen, it can do whatever. To each his own.

You turn the lock on when the phone is going in your pocket via the widget.

BTW for anyone wondering it's still working great.