IPv6 - surprise

Time_Lord

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at some data exchanges phone over my home network with Wireshark this evening over WIFI and the DNS queries the phone was making caught my eye.

I noticed that every query the phone made was first for a AAAA record, if that query failed it would make a second query for a simple A record. For those that don't know, AAAA is for an IPv6 address and a A record returns an IPv4 address.

My home network does have a valid and routeable IPv6 address block (doesn't everybody?)

Ok, I thought maybe its only doing a DNS query for and IPv6 address and then really going with the IPv4 address, but nope, I connected to some IPv6 only addresses and they worked successfully. connected to http://ipv6.me and What is my IPv6 Address? and both returned my proper IPv6 address (my IPv6 prefix + most of the phones MAC address)

I'm guessing as soon as the carriers decide IPv6 is needed they only need to enable it in their networks.

Oh I did check Sprint's wireless network, I can't connect to the above websites when 3G dataservice is turned on.

-TL

Time_Lord

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Nope, just tried accessing an IPv6 site... I did notice that IPv6 took a little longer than IPv4 to come active but once it was active I had no problem with any v6 sites.

Again IPv6 IS NOT supported/active on Sprint's network, its active on my network and accessible via WIFI

v6guy

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Nope, just tried accessing an IPv6 site... I did notice that IPv6 took a little longer than IPv4 to come active but once it was active I had no problem with any v6 sites.

Again IPv6 IS NOT supported/active on Sprint's network, its active on my network and accessible via WIFI

IPv6 is enabled on the T-Mobile USA network T-Mobile IPv6 Friendly User Trial - T-Mobile Community

But, only nokia phones work for now. Android, today, only supports IPv6 on wifi because the wifi chips/drivers are easy. The 3G stuff is much more closed and hard to get working, but they are working on it. T-Mobile USA is pushing v6

T-Mobile is pushing IPv6. Hard. - Living with IPv6

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel