new to optimus.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I have been a member of this forum for a while (coming from an HTC hero), and learned a lot about kernel compiling and making Roms from you're awesome member Gbhil. Even made a couple Kernels to incorporate an OC into android 1.5 for the Hero back when 2.1 was too buggy to run daily. Anyways I've retired the hero and moved on to a new phone that Sprint will be (as long as you believe what LG says) supporting through android 2.3.
So far my experience with this phone is that it is much snappier and more polished then the HTC Hero. I don't like the new Sprint ID features but now that I am rooted it is easy enough to pick and choose what I want on my phone. All I can say is I hope that one of your Devs gets flash lite working on this phone and it would be perfect! that is the one thing I miss about the Hero, flash lite and even flash 10.1 if you had the right rom.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I’m about to get one, now that the purchase price is zero. But coming from an ancient Samsung i500, I’ll be pretty lost for a while. Before I make the leap, I have three questions:

I’m hoping to ditch my cable ISP and use the Optimus as my modem. I guess that’s called tethering? And it appears to be something people just get away with. Is there a legal version? And if there is, does it cost too much to be worthwhile?

Pardon for what I’m sure are dopey questions...

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
In other words, no wonder so many folks tether under the rug. Thanks y’all... if I get the thing, you’ll hear no end of me on countless other subjects. I apparently have until Jan 8 to decide.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
well i think everyone will agree that you won't be disappointed with this phone. you can read the countless threads building up with everyone expressing their love for this phone lol.

Robchaos_: can we look forward to seeing some kernel action from you? :)

one of these days i'll download all the git crap i need to build some stuff. i have a ubuntu build on my laptop from when i was helping with xdandroid on the tp1. once i'm done being amazed with this phone as is, i'll take a shot at compiling some stuff to play with.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
One of these days I'll dust off my old linux machine and work on some kernel modding or rom cooking, but most of what needs to be done has already been done surprisingly quick for how long this phone has been out. It took many months to even get the overclock figured out on the HTC hero. LG seems good about releasing source code

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Went to the local Sprint store to see an Optimus in action, but -- bad sign -- they had let the battery die in their demo. To get the zero price, I?ll have to do it online anyway, probably this Friday.

I may get protrecto screens at the local store, unless you know something that works better or costs less. But I don?t like those screens -- is it treacherous to try and live without one?

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
The screen is plastic so a protector is def recommended. Zagg is my personal favorite. I swear by it lol. Also bestbuy was where I got mine for free.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
New Q About FM

Now I’ll have tunes coming out of the Optimus but don’t want to wear head plugs while driving. So the other toy I’ll need is an FM transmitter that sends audio out to a selected station. No car stereo surgery required... true? Best Buy again?

Last edited:

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
That's the one. I only got the screen. Mighty t go back for the rest ($15) but not sure yet. I kinda like the outside of this phones feel.

Fm transmitter is no surgery needed. Plug and play. I have a bt headunit myself that I love.

And I apologize for the thread hijack.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Using the screen protector myself, got it on there before I even touched the phone (the guy at best buy was an old Palm fanboy like me so he "accidentally" didn't charge me to put it on). So far after about a month of abuse it's got one minor scratch on it from an incident involving a box cutter that I didn't close all the way before I put in my pocket (I work at a grocery store and it was the holidays so I was in a rush) - so definitely glad I got it. If the "anti-scratch" screen protector got a scratch (albeit hard to notice while the phone is on), what would have happened to my screen?

My last phone (a Palm Centro) and my last PDA (a Palm T|X) both went without screen protectors and paid for it. My Centro got a nice little dent in it that left the bottom 10% of the screen unresponsive; and my T|X ended up getting a scratch in it and had to have it's screen replaced. Both had plastic screens, so I'll assume that they'd take about the same amount of damage.

I may spring for the rest of the set if I can get it without the screen protector for a reasonable price. Currently I'm using a plastic hard case to protect the rest of the phone, but it makes it feel bulky. I'd rather not go without some sort of protection on the phone, however, as I do plan to sell it once I upgrade again and I don't want to run in to an issue like I have with my Centro, where the device is so beat up that it's pretty much impossible to unload for anything (I might as well give it away).

As for the FM transmitter, they're fairly common (and most work on AM as well). Usually it's got it's own battery, and you just plug it in to the headphone jack on your phone. Set your car radio to the station that's set on the transmitter, and you'll hear all the sounds your phone would normally put out through the headphone jack from your car stereo.

Alternatively if you have a newer radio you can also just buy a cable to connect your headphone jack to the Aux-in on the radio (and then you won't have to worry about signal noise at all). Or if you have an older radio with a tape deck, you can buy a stereo cassette adapter which lets you plug your phone's headphone jack in to your car's tape deck and play the audio that way. And if you want to impress your friends, you can try getting a bluetooth cassette tape and route the audio through bluetooth (though this is probably the most expensive option).

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the education(s). The car is an 08, new enough to have no cassette but not enough to have input jack. Hence the transmitter.

kronosx1

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Will be getting mine this friday and rooting as soon as i get home. (or sooner with Z4Root lol). I used to have a G1 and a MT3G. And both were rooted. heck, my last version of Android was 1.6 lol. Im stoked though!

will be going to nRom as well! I have a question, does the ole rename to update.zip rom flashing still work> and can i update the recovery that way as well!

Last edited:

Droid Warrior

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the group. I too am a brand new owner. Picked up my Optimus S this afternoon.

Good Luck. I had 2 in a week. Piece of trash IMHO. Horrible sound / call quality. No better on speakerphone. Both of mine freeze, or re boot in middle of calls, or just whenever.
SD card prbs, havent been able to text in a week. Says memory is full even when empty.....and on, and on I could go.
Hope you have better luck.
This site has been a godsend. Im here, looking for fixes for all its problems. Would be a great lil phone if it worked.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Good Luck. I had 2 in a week. Piece of trash IMHO. Horrible sound / call quality. No better on speakerphone. Both of mine freeze, or re boot in middle of calls, or just whenever.
SD card prbs, havent been able to text in a week. Says memory is full even when empty.....and on, and on I could go.
Hope you have better luck.
This site has been a godsend. Im here, looking for fixes for all its problems. Would be a great lil phone if it worked.

i would suggest starting a thread about your issues. i for one have had 0. my buddy got his the same time i got mine (bestbuy then xmas presents) and his was having all kinds of issues until i wiped it (settings, privacy, wipe - only do this if you have a stock recovery). after that it ran as good as mine. hasn't had a problem since.