Must Have Apps for this phone?

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
There's no such thing as the must have apps because they are the apps that you must have...what I need and must have is not necessarily what you may consider a must have. I suggest you go to appbrain.com on your computer and find the apps that you must have. This question gets asked a lot with every new comer, I say do a search for must have apps for android.

Frogger420

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Adownloader
Transdroid
QuickPic
Zedge
Ringdroid
AndroZip
Pandora
Appmonster
SetCPU - rooted only

I'm having problems with teamviewer. Looking for a remote desktop that will work. Search forum for Teamviewer If someone can help.

Last edited:

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
1 tap cache clearner (frees up memory)
Superbox 10 tools in one (10 different tools in one app)
Ringdroid (edit songs and create ringtones)
Mobile manager (block calls and texts)
Barnacle wifi tethering (free wifi if you're rooted
Go launcher pro (adds features like more screens and 3D app tray)
Where's my Droid (finds lost phone via txt even if power is off)

I recommend a file manager as well but it depends on your needs. I'm rooted using CM7 and set CPU didn't work for me. It just kept FCing. I don't use a radio like pandora on my phone as its pointless to me when you could just download any song you want. Where's my Droid, 1 tap cache clearner and superbox are must haves in my humble opinion

Last edited:

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
My Installed Android Apps, purged heavily for must-haveness:

AndRecorder ... quick voice memos
ASTRO ... file manager
Auto Memory Manager ... not sure if this helps
Battery Indicator ... shows battery level in %
Call Confirm ... prevents accidental calls
Clipper+ ... a must have for me
Dropbox ... a must have for everyone
GDocs ... sync and edit Google Docs
Groupy ... adds Google contact groups they forgot
History Eraser ... remove junk tidbits
Klink ... (shh) cheap but pokey ISP
LauncherPro ... this or some launcher is essential
MyAppsList ... created this list
No Lock ... kill password once you’re home
Office Calculator ... with tape memory
Pandora ... this, Slacker or Jango for free tunes
Pocket ... need w dropbox to organize your life
QuickPic ... much better than stock gallery
Screen Filter ... save battery when out of sunlight
SDMove ... moves all available to SD card
ShakeToAnswer ... must have for answering while driving
ShootMe ... this and MyAppsList to self-backup
Silent Boot ... hate that damn sprint song
Smart Task Switcher ... like alt-tab for android
SystemPanel Lite ... another not sure if this helps
Watchdog Lite ... three not sures are a charm

Last edited:

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
dolphin browser mini -- best browser I've tried. but if you want to view vids while surfing, you'll want skyfire. I prefer the UI of dolphin, though.
flash notify , cause our lcds don't light up when we miss texts/calls/voicemails/etc, but this will make the screen flash! very handy.
go sms pro - much prefer this to the stock messaging. and you can make it pretty with themes!
go launcher ex - just stopped using it as I installed reborn rom today and their launcher is wonderful and snappy, but when I was on stock I loved go. fantastic level of customization for free. I may switch back since I loved it so much!
quickpic is so much faster than the stock gallery. if you want to open pics for any reason whatsoever, you'll love it.
timerrific - I'm a student and sometimes forget to put my phone on silent. with this, you can schedule when it is on silent and isn't so it automatically is during school and work and makes life a whole lot easier.
vignette, cause taking pictures with a hipster, artsy app is more fun than the normal camera. it's not free, but I used camerafx and retro camera and this has a LOT of options and settings so you can change it up a whole lot more.
watchdog lite - appkillers are bad, but this tells you when something is eating a ton of cpu and you can choose to kill it (instead of killing a bunch of apps at once over and over or whatever).
I like to tweet, so plume. best twitter app I've tried.
both astrid tasks and taskos for task management. I can't decide between them, both have great UI's. just depends on what you need!

also, it comes with the phone but TELENAV. google nav is great too but the lady on it sounds scary compared to the one talking on telenav. but navigation apps are the best thing to happen for me. ever.

and if you root--titanium backup just saved all my data and a ton of time so I'm officially in love. and adfree seems to help keep free ads speedy.

Last edited:

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
DIGITALLOVE....

Can you please walk me through how to use titanium backup??

I started it and it asked me to go into my menu and do something with the usb menu and all that....

It looked very confusing so i closed it lol....I cam coming from a blackberry for the last 3 years and its my first smart phone. Everyone is raving about the titanium backup but i dont get it.

Thanks!

Also what is superuser???

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
DIGITALLOVE....

Can you please walk me through how to use titanium backup??

I started it and it asked me to go into my menu and do something with the usb menu and all that....

It looked very confusing so i closed it lol....I cam coming from a blackberry for the last 3 years and its my first smart phone. Everyone is raving about the titanium backup but i dont get it.

Thanks!

Also what is superuser???
ah, I prefaced that recommendation with 'if you root' for a reason, as that's the only way it works! if you're rooted, it kind of runs automatically. superuser is installed when you root--it gives permission to root-only apps and such. I'm pretty new to rooting myself (just did it today!) so I'm probably not the best person to ask :) but what it does is backup all of your apps and data so when you do install a custom ROM, you can easily reinstall your apps and data. otherwise, you'd lose them. not very fun.

for more info on rooting:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...de-rooting-custom-roms-optimus-s-edition.html
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...d-gingerbreak-no-reverting-ota-works-too.html
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...ot-utility-one-click-root-multi-platform.html

and definitely take some time to read through the rooting and roms forum before you attempt anything! it does void your warranty, too, and you may find the stock (optimus s android system, unrooted) is perfectly fine for you with some apps to customize it a bit. I got this phone new year's day or the day after and finally rooted it today. so I didn't feel the need to root for over 6 months. and I probably wouldn't at all if there wasn't a way to unroot to take it in to service as I am a klutz and have also had phones do crazy stuff on me in the past and I definitely pay for sprint's insurance.

also, to make titanium backup worth it, you gotta have a few apps and some data, otherwise there's nothing to back up ;)

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted with reborn 2.2 and i want to get 2.2.1 but I need to do this titanium thing first. I am going to uninstall it then reinstall it and see if it ask me to do all that unchecking boxes and stuff again like it did last time when i first opened it.

Did it do that to you?

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted with reborn 2.2 and i want to get 2.2.1 but I need to do this titanium thing first. I am going to uninstall it then reinstall it and see if it ask me to do all that unchecking boxes and stuff again like it did last time when i first opened it.

Did it do that to you?

I just know that I had to check something to let superuser let it have root access, then I just went to schedules and ran "backup all new apps and newer versions". I don't remember a lot of check boxes besides the first one though? and it took a bit of time or a restart or two to get the backups--when I put a new ROM on and reinstalled titanium backup, it didn't have any of my data at the time. but it did by the time I flashed sprint apps on and went to titanium backup uninstall all the sprint apps except navigation.

(also, for some reason I thought you were the OP with your first post, who definitely wasn't rooted. but you are! sorry about that)

Last edited:

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
ok its all backed up im guessing it automatically does it to my SD card. thanks so much man it was easier than i thought.

most everything I've done to edit my experience with this phone has been so much easier than I thought :) especially cause this community is fabulous and is very willing to help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692