Palm Desktop in Optimus?

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Pardon for asking what may be obvious to all but me:

I?ve been using a Samsung i500 for years. Its big deal was syncing to my PC?s Palm desktop software. In the phone book, the calendar, the memos, changes made in the in either device would be updated in the other.

Finally straying away from the Palm life, I don?t hear any mention of an equivalent PC software for syncing and editing data back and forth. Is there an Android version, or has syncing, have I, become passe?

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Nearly everything android syncs wirelessly to google. You can sync in your desktop software to google to have the three sync'ed.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Pardon for asking what may be obvious to all but me:

I?ve been using a Samsung i500 for years. Its big deal was syncing to my PC?s Palm desktop software. In the phone book, the calendar, the memos, changes made in the in either device would be updated in the other.

Finally straying away from the Palm life, I don?t hear any mention of an equivalent PC software for syncing and editing data back and forth. Is there an Android version, or has syncing, have I, become passe?

I wouldn't say passe, but now Google envisions everything done "in the cloud" via your google account as opposed to syncing software. For me this was very convenient, because even before I had an Android phone I used gmail, gmail contacts, and google calendar exclusively. So when turned on my Android phone for the first time and entered my google account login info, my phone took a few moments to sync via the 3g network and then everything worked perfectly. Now changes I make via my computer's web browser automatically show up on my phone and everything done on my phone shows up on my computer's web browser.

I've read plenty of threads about folks trying to sync up Outlook data, but it seems incomplete and probably goes through the google account in some way anyway. Perhaps someone with more experience with that will chime in.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Just ordered the phone, get it next week, the cloud and/or mobisynapse will be the first project.

Last edited:

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I?m trying to get cloudy before my Optimus arrives, so when I fire it up it?ll sync automatically. But, still living in the Palm age...

You can sync in your desktop software to google to have the three sync'ed.
What ?desktop software?? Will the phone come with a CD packed with that kind of stuff?

Or do I just transfer everything from my Palm Desktop now, to Google Calendar and such? Further, I see Google Calendar, but don?t see Google Contacts or Google Memos, to speak in Palm-ese.

Rip Van Winkle appreciates your help...

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I?m trying to get cloudy before my Optimus arrives, so when I fire it up it?ll sync automatically. But, still living in the Palm age...

What ?desktop software?? Will the phone come with a CD packed with that kind of stuff?

Or do I just transfer everything from my Palm Desktop now, to Google Calendar and such? Further, I see Google Calendar, but don?t see Google Contacts or Google Memos, to speak in Palm-ese.

Rip Van Winkle appreciates your help...

No, no software will come with the phone. I'm not familiar with the Palm software, but while you are waiting for your phone you should transfer your data to the respective Google services. Not sure what a "memos" equivalent would be, but contacts are part of gmail.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
By golly, I got the Palm contacts and calendar into the corresponding Google sites.

Contacts was a simple vcf export/import, but the calendar was a true PITA. I had install Yahoo Sync, let it sync to the Palm living on my pc, export that to a csv, uninstall yahoo sync, find the secret path to import in google mail, wonder what the hell was going, and suddenly -- bingo!

I found this page which told me just what do, sort of. Yahoo threw me into its sync app which ended up fulfilling that step just as well. Anyway, Odurih’s post told me here:

Can I import my Palm Desktop Calendar to Google - Calendar Help

As for the memos, being text, I reckon I can just slap it into google docs.

But that leaves a problem: I really don’t want to put some of the memos in a cloud. What kind of privacy can I expect?

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
good question. and answer is it should be secure but you have to be responsible for security. Always treat is as not being secure so don't store your text files without encrypting them if they contain private info that you need to keep private.
There are many notes apps that will allow you to sync between your desktop and android phone. One of them is Evernote. I use evernote heavily and it synced up between my windows/mac/android clients. I use Evernote to sync all of my non secured notes.

If you need a totally encrypted solution then I sugest you look at something like Lastpass. It has browser plugins on desktop and then you can move all of your notes into secured notes. They are heavily encrypted and lastpass has android client that will let you sync them. This is just one example of what you can do and I'm sure there are more apps.