Voicemail Too Quiet

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Call volume is just fine, as are other audio things. But listening to voicemail playback is almost inudible, I have to jam the phone into my ear and still don?t hear it. I don?t see a pref setting for this in Sounds or Voicemail settings. What up?

ddroid94

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue. If you are wanting to hear it through the speakerphone make sure the button with a speaker on it has the speaker with an x next to it. Then push the play button, while the message is playing use the volume up button on the side of the phone. Hope this helps

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I?m not doing speakerphone, but I guess I might as well, if that?ll make it a bit louder. Sheesh, wasn?t expecting something like this minor annoyance...

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
But I’ve concluded that it’s still a problem, still too quiet, being that even set to speakerphone I have to stick the phone in my ear to hear it. Cannot find a real solution...

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay, splain this: if it tells me I have voicemail or I click the voicemail icon, those come up too quiet. But if I call myself, a different-looking voicemail comes up, and it’s plenty loud. Not only that but the former tells me I have no voicemail but the latter says I have some.

(If you’re wondering why I’m calling myself, I was attempting to leave myself a voicemail to futz with volume settings.)

Then I realized that the calling myself window was from the phone guts, not the app. In fact, although it doesn’t say it, pressing 7 deletes the current, 9 saves it... just like my ancient i500 did.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Okay, splain this: if it tells me I have voicemail or I click the voicemail icon, those come up too quiet. But if I call myself, a different-looking voicemail comes up, and it?s plenty loud. Not only that but the former tells me I have no voicemail but the latter says I have some.

(If you?re wondering why I?m calling myself, I was attempting to leave myself a voicemail to futz with volume settings.)

The difference would be this ...

1) The one you access through the app is the original voicemail, likely compressed to some terrible 8bit audio, and sent from the server to your phone.

2) The one where you call yourself is still on the voicemail server so it's not compressed which equates to better sound.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
That’s what I was thinking when I said “phone guts.” Pretty odd that I have to find these solutions by accident -- the Sprint lady, no surprise, had no clue, and suggested that I check the volume settings that I had just told her I already did.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
That?s what I was thinking when I said ?phone guts.? Pretty odd that I have to find these solutions by accident -- the Sprint lady, no surprise, had no clue, and suggested that I check the volume settings that I had just told her I already did.

Yeah, unfortunately they are expected to know a lot about a lot of phones and a lot of different phone OSs so i hold no blame on her for not knowing. What this does mean though is until theres a way to amplify the ear piece audio, there will be no way to at all improve the loudness of those VM's. An easy solution would be for Sprint to provide better quality files when they send them to your phone but that would take more space and bandwidth so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Maybe they can take that $10 a month for premium data and use that to give us premium VM quality! lol :D

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I don’t expect her to know anything about stuff like this, just to transfer me to Brainiac down the hall that keeps track of all these complaints, as I bet I’m not the first one to b*tch about this.

Sprint, Verizon, etc, should pay forums like yours to keep users like me from throwing our phones through their windows.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10