two days ago, I was checking into my school on foursquare during a class break and the phone froze and went black. I tried to turn it on and off with the top button and hit the menu button and it just stayed black. I didn't have time to do a battery pull so I just left it and when I checked it again an hour later, it was fine. and I was able to open foursquare again without a problem.

then yesterday it froze right as I was unlocking the screen and went black and didn't respond to anything again. I checked it again in half an hour and, again, it was fine.

I haven't changed out my SD card from the one it came with, but nothing was weird with it until this week. tomorrow will be my 30th day with the phone but I can't seem to replicate the issue and if I did hope in my car with it frozen to the sprint store, it would probably be fine by the time I got there (I do have insurance on it but I'm reluctant to activate anything after tomorrow and get that fun $10 a month fee charge). I did update a few apps before this all started happening, so maybe it's one of the new updates screwing with it? I also don't turn my phone off at all (I let it charge at night on since it's my alarm clock), could that have something to do with it?

has anyone else had similar things happen with their phone?
    01-29-2011 10:31 AM
    The phone is a computer, so you'll need to power it down and restart it periodically. I usually do once a day after checking through application updates.
    01-29-2011 10:43 AM
    This is a issue that happens to all optimus s,you just have to wait maybe 10 seconds then try again or leave it and the screen should lite up.
    01-29-2011 10:49 AM
    This is a issue that happens to all optimus s,you just have to wait maybe 10 seconds then try again or leave it and the screen should lite up.
    this makes sense, though it took much longer than 10 seconds to do anything (I spent my entire 10 min break between classes trying to make it work the first time and the rest of my lunch break the second time).

and yesterday, I got a notification for a missed call but no voicemail in the morning. a few hours later, I turned my phone off and on for the first time in days and a few minutes after that, I got all my missed text messages and voicemail alerts (including from that call I'd missed!) from the last 24 hours all at once. I wasn't out of service area during that time so that was weird. but I did do some app updates, so maybe that had to do with it?
    01-30-2011 11:29 AM
    My wife and I both have the Optimus S. We have the same phone, but two different experiences. My phone works flawlessly, no lag, no screen problem, everything perfect. My wife's phone, on the other hand, sucks! Screen unresponsive, freezes exactly as described, the speaker for normal voice calls cracks all the time and doesn't work for days at a time. Simply ridiculous. We don't have insurance because we're really easy on our phones; that being said we will be without a phone for a week or two to send to lg for a warranty claim. I'm hesitant to do that because the problem does not occur all the time. So the whole reason for my post is that this is not how these phones are: my phone works perfect.
    01-30-2011 10:32 PM
    We don't have insurance because we're really easy on our phones.
    You should look into the $4 Repair and Replacement program.
    01-30-2011 11:00 PM
    My wife and I both have the Optimus S. We have the same phone, but two different experiences. My phone works flawlessly, no lag, no screen problem, everything perfect. My wife's phone, on the other hand, sucks! Screen unresponsive, freezes exactly as described, the speaker for normal voice calls cracks all the time and doesn't work for days at a time. Simply ridiculous. We don't have insurance because we're really easy on our phones; that being said we will be without a phone for a week or two to send to lg for a warranty claim. I'm hesitant to do that because the problem does not occur all the time. So the whole reason for my post is that this is not how these phones are: my phone works perfect.
    up until this, I had a perfect experience with my phone and it hasn't frozen since, so fingers crossed it's ok. my mom has the same phone and she's enjoying it. I mean, the insurance can cover things if I can replicate the issue at a sprint store, that $10 a month fee just makes everything more complicated.
    01-31-2011 06:55 AM
    Have you tried to factory reset the phone?
    01-31-2011 08:50 AM
    You should look into the $4 Repair and Replacement program.
    I wasn't aware we had an option to split the TEP, I know its $4 repair $3 insurance but I did not even know it was possible to opt out of one or the other. I might try that. (Right now I have TEP for $7 but only really want repair)
    01-31-2011 02:04 PM
    Yea, I would never need to pay $3 a month for insurance plus $50 for a claim. I keep my phone out of harm's way.
    01-31-2011 07:16 PM
    I should try a factory reset. I just wanted to get the complete rom file to flash a completely new rom and kernel, but I can't seem to find it.
    01-31-2011 07:40 PM
    Im also experiencein the same flaws as y'all.. except mine is doing it alot lately.. I have the TR 1.6 build deluxe and zeffies kernal.. I have done a wipe... reinstalled everything and still nothing.. hopefully lg or sprint will make an update soon... I want stability from this phone.. or else im gunna try to get an evo..
    01-31-2011 07:51 PM