I Miss Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
On my PCs, I use copy and paste all the time. But on the Optimus, and presumably for all Androids, I only see that option when I poke around and typically find a choice for just one, not both.

Is there secret handshake to copy/paste whenever I want?

sherri

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
What are you trying to copy from? Web pages? Email? Documents?

In email, the menu key brings up a "select text" option. Drag finger to copy. When finger is lifted, you should get "text copied to clipboard ". Go to place you want to "paste" text. Long pressing should open "paste" choice....

Web pages are a bit different....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
What are you trying to copy from? Web pages? Email? Documents?

Yes, yes and yes, as well as stuff like copying phone numbers from the call log and pasting them into google (to try and see who the hell just called).

I?ve tried the menu button a lot, but I suppose I?ll have to try more longpressing. Just wish there was a uniform method, like ctrl-C and -V.

RoberMR

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Jeff, as far as I can determine, there is no "universal copy/paste" in Android - yet. Those examples cited on this forum and elsewhere are unique implementations by the different apps. I am with you. I want to be able to copy any text in any app and paste it somewhere else. To me, this should be a basic funtion of any operating system large or small. Even in my much criticized Windows Mobile phone, I could highlight any text anywhere and paste it into any field that accepted text input.

I hope the developers of Android implement this basic function ASAP instead of wasting their time on making games play better and stuff like that.

Rob

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Yep, glad to have you with me. I get a feeling they’ve concentrated harder on the bells and whistles than the basic functions they’re supposed to be replacing. Google is missing some of that too.

RoberMR

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I just found some encouraging signs that Gingerbread will have enhanced copy/paste. It looks like they implemented some easier text selection tools, like little handles to mark the beginning and end of the text you want to manipulate. That sounds pretty good. It looks like if you tap your finger on the text, a cursor is placed at that spot. You can move it around to position it more precisely than you can currently. There is also the ability to select a whole word. If you do that, it places two markers around the word (start and end). Then you can move the markers to expand the selection before you copy to clipboard. This is all good. But, in the examples, they only show it used in text input fields. I'm not sure how it will (or if it will) work on other text that you want to select/copy/paste. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Rob

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yup, I agree native cut/paste and reliable email sync are basic features that still need work in android.

I use swype for select/cut/copy/paste. Swipe from the swype symbol to the character key and it will bring up the select/cut/copy/paste keyboard.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Yup, I agree native cut/paste and reliable email sync are basic features that still need work in android.

I use swype for select/cut/copy/paste. Swipe from the swype symbol to the character key and it will bring up the select/cut/copy/paste keyboard.

I agree with the copy and paste part, it needs an overhaul ..... but reliable sync?!?!?!

I sync multiple gmail accounts (3) through Google, sync a calendar for 2 of them, an address book for one, a picasa web album for 1, a corporate calendar, email, and address book through an exchange server and never had any issues at all. Is it possible your sync issues are related to your environment and not an issue with the OS?

My sync has been 100% reliable except for when my exchange server is down which is not the OS's fault but the server was down.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
gmail sync is rock solid. I've never had a problem with that, which is to be expected on an android phone.

imap sync (i.e. yahoo mail) is problematic as is exchange activesync settings used by various companies. I'm not alone in this either... Email help. No getting all mail. - Android Forums

I had similar problems on my droid X. Motorola was originally giving away free licenses of touchdown due to the poor reliability of email sync. HTC devices don't seem to have much issues since I believe HTC has their own client.

For basic consumer focused sync it works great, it's just the more esoteric stuff that needs work.

RoberMR

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Mail sync:

In my experience, Yahoo Mail (I have Yahoo SBC Global) is not the best when it comes to syncing with not only Android mail but also Outlook. Many times it doesn't sync from my PC with Outlook reliably. It tries to connect/sync but I get all sorts of timeout errors on the PC. Then if I try some time later, it works fine. Now this is not unique with Android. My prior smartphone running Windows Mobile Professional 6.1 also had issues with it.

On the other hand, I have a personal email account through GoDaddy, and neither Outlook on my PC, WinMo, nor Android mail on the Optimus have a problem with it.

Rob

Update: I forgot to mention that apparently Windows Phone 7 is also having issues with Yahoo mail as well.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
“There's an app called "Copy Paste It" that gives your universal copy and paste.”

It says I have to root the phone first, something I’m avoiding cuz I’m scairt.

Last edited:

Maxwellg15

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
thinking

Mail sync:

In my experience, Yahoo Mail (I have Yahoo SBC Global) is not the best when it comes to syncing with not only Android mail but also Outlook. Many times it doesn't sync from my PC with Outlook reliably. It tries to connect/sync but I get all sorts of timeout errors on the PC. Then if I try some time later, it works fine. Now this is not unique with Android. My prior smartphone running Windows Mobile Professional 6.1 also had issues with it.

On the other hand, I have a personal email account through GoDaddy, and neither Outlook on my PC, WinMo, nor Android mail on the Optimus have a problem with it.

Rob

Update: I forgot to mention that apparently Windows Phone 7 is also having issues with Yahoo mail as well.

i started to think that maybe this isn't really a computer (as stated "outlook" in pior post) or phone issue that maybe it's the yahoo server?!?

just a thought but who knows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463