LG Optimus S (LS670) Maintenance Release 2/7/11

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait for the ROM cookers to get on to it. Kinda interested to see if the SD card detection error fixes any of the issues some people have been having with their SD cards, and would also like to see what the driver is like :p (But I won't go back to stock because I <3 my LegoROM too much :p)

If someone with a stock phone would update and do a system dump it'd be helpful I suppose :p

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Already working on snagging it and adding the instructions to the V8 stock post. Also will provide /system dump if I manage to get it before anyone else here, which I doubt because my tower sucks.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
ok updated and crashed. i think my dc-c mod killed it. also seems to have taken out my root privlages as i get a ppremissions denied on su in adb.

when it restarted after the update everything got force closed. rebooted into recovery, wiped cache, now i have no FC's but i have no home screen either. just a blank black screen with the notification bar at the top lol.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Does the Mobile Hotspot Widget Exploit still work? (Install "Hotspot Widget" from Market and put widget on homescreen, turn on, and you get tethering for free).

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
ok updated and crashed. i think my dc-c mod killed it. also seems to have taken out my root privlages as i get a ppremissions denied on su in adb.

when it restarted after the update everything got force closed. rebooted into recovery, wiped cache, now i have no FC's but i have no home screen either. just a blank black screen with the notification bar at the top lol.

We should probably remind everyone with a rooted phone who doesn't want to be involved in attempting to root post-update NOT to accept these OTA. I'm assuming hamagc went into the update knowing it could break his root, which it did.

Reactions: grantheppes

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
ok looks like z4root isn't working on new update. about to test hotspot widget -- looks like hotspot widget is still working. edited this post via hotspot widget.

yes that is a good reminder. DO NOT UPDATE UNTIL ROOT IS CONFIRMED. i went into this knowing this well.

however it does not seem to have touched recovery. CWM recovery is still installed and working.

edit: ok tried to root the hard way, when i try to push anything to /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage i get premission denied.

Last edited:

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
ok looks like z4root isn't working on new update. about to test hotspot widget -- looks like hotspot widget is still working. edited this post via hotspot widget.

yes that is a good reminder. DO NOT UPDATE UNTIL ROOT IS CONFIRMED. i went into this knowing this well.

however it does not seem to have touched recovery. CWM recovery is still installed and working.

Appreciate you testing that. Still gonna avoid updating though!

Reactions: Kkthnxbye

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
well thats about as far as i can get right now. have to flash my old setup back so i can get back to work lol.

ahh but from recovery i can still mount /data and have root :)

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
well thats about as far as i can get right now. have to flash my old setup back so i can get back to work lol.

ahh but from recovery i can still mount /data and have root :)

lucky it didnt permabrick you, dony install stock OTA updates with custom recovery.

but.. you can help us by making it download it again and then giving us the zip from /cache

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
lucky it didnt permabrick you, dony install stock OTA updates with custom recovery.

but.. you can help us by making it download it again and then giving us the zip from /cache

luckly! someone has to be the labrat though lol. ota wasn't available for me. i had to use the lg update tool for windows. i do have a file "LS670ZVC_11.bin - about 364mb" in the lg folder. could this be useful?

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
luckly! someone has to be the labrat though lol. ota wasn't available for me. i had to use the lg update tool for windows. i do have a file "LS670ZVC_11.bin - about 364mb" in the lg folder. could this be useful?

didnt know that worked yet.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
lol i didn't either. figured it was worth a shot. on lg's site they had a link for it. it's uploading now. will take a minute.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
succesful update from stock. Wireless hotspot bug still works. About to temproot and dump kernel, recovery and stock.

z4root crashes, this cannot be good.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
ya i posted in the z4root thread to let them know z4 wasn't working with the update. temp or perm root both failed. didn't think of it but i should have ran a logcat after it failed.

also as i mentioned, trying it the hard way, i was unable to push anything to /data

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
rageagainstthecage does not work either.

They patched the root exploit, but not the Wireless Tether. Way to hate on freedom LG.

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
VC system dump for devs

LS670ZVC Files:
boot.img (kernel)
recovery.img (recovery kernel)
recovery.bin (actual LG recovery GUI. Used to escape recovery boot loop. Usage: unarchve, push to /rec on custom recovery, chmod 755 /rec, ./rec, choose "Reboot now")
system.img (dumped with dump_image .. untouched VC system.img)
system.tar (tar of untouched VC /system)

Escaping/Rooting LG670ZVC
1) Reboot into LG stock recovery
2) Trigger recovery to mount /system by attempting to flash V8_to_V9 update.
3) When update fails, /system is mounted, adb shell will now work
4) follow rageagainstthecage instructions, replacing /data/local/tmp with /sdcard
5) once root, push flash_image and custom recovery to /
6) flash them
7) reboot recovery
8) see recovery.bin

To devs: something strange with the new v11 radio, requires new lib/bin, which in turn require new app/framework. Thus to be VC radio compatible, need to use new framework for ROMs.. otherwise get strange HFA and auto shutdown.

There will be a divide between VC and V9 radio/rom. Simular to a New Android OS divide.
User can easily see radio version as "Baseband Version" under about phone.
LS670MVC_60401001 = VC aka V11 Radio

Last edited: