HUGE memory waster!! Free up space on your phone!!

KMfiremedic111

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
My phone has been teetering on the low storage level around 16mb. I would occasionally get that symbol telling me it is low. I am not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I discovered a way to free up internal memory on our phones. A couple ways. When you delete an email it doesn't really get deleted. It goes into that accounts trash folder and builds up forever until you manually one by one check mark it then delete it. If you click on the folder icon of that account you will see trash with the number of emails in it. Well I have a total of about 700 emails in trash folders amoungst 3 accounts. I deleted them all manualy and freed up 20mb of internal storage on my phone. I went from 16mb to 36mb just in deleting these emails.

Hopefully in future android updates there will be a way to COMPLETELY delete these emails and keep them from eating up our memory.

Another way to free up memory is to delete all your text message threads. I didn't delete my threads for a long time then my phone started blocking incomming texts due to low memory. I deleted my threads and cleared up another 8mb of memory!

Try doing these things and free up space on your phone for faster performance or more app space!

Reactions: Droid Warrior

RoberMR

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The email app needs to have a "select all" option so the user can delete the emails in the Trash folder easily. Two other things would be very helpful:

1) Option to store all emails (inbox, sent, trash ...) on the SD card.
2) Option to automatically purge the Trash folder based on number of items or folder size or age of items.

I hope the geniuses at Google are reading.

Rob

thegov

May 6, 2010
Visit site
with the evo you can select them all...hit menu trash then hit menu again and select all. might just be a sense thing though. i'd kill myself if i had to delete them one at a time.

RoberMR

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Gov, it ain't worth killing yourself over it - LoL.

I believe the ability to select all and delete is an EVO thing.

I have tried other mail apps like K-9 which does have select all delete functionality, but it seems it slowed down my phone too much.

As I said in my earlier post, I hope the geniuses at Google are reading this forum.

Rob

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
there are alot of email apps out there. touchdown is another one that deletes the mail off of the phone and server (exchange) and you can select one or all emails.

if you goto settings > applications > manage application
you can sort the list of all apps on the phone by size. from here you can see whats really eating your space. things like browser, maps, etc. all download to your device and cache the information. this builds up easily. i've had my browser up to 80mb before realizing what was taking up all my room. open the app up in the manage application menu and you can clear the cache from there which will free up alot of space.

also there are apps out there that will clear the cache on multiple apps so you don't need to do it one by one.

there are a few threads in this section regarding space. there are some mods to free up some space (all of the custom roms include dalvik-cache to cache mods) and then there are the apps2sd apps that make moving apps to the sd easy.

i personally find it hard to believe anyone will easily run out of room on this device. i have about 100 apps installed (most if not all moved to sd, per titanium backup i have 174 app/data elements) and i have about 40mb free still.

Last edited: