03-24-2011 03:10 PM
47 12
tools
    I Started receiving non-stop Update notifications from sprint yesterday and since my Optimus S has not had any memory card issues and such,and for the fact im rooted i do not want to update at all.

So is there a way to turn these notifications off so i don't have to clear it every 10 minutes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    02-11-2011 10:49 AM
    Are you rooted?
    Are you running any paticular ROM yet?
    Do you have the custom recovery installed so you can flash roms?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...tml#post600074

Flash to that attached .zip and it will remove these prompts.
    02-11-2011 11:07 AM
    Im currently Rooted with Z4root but have no custom roms installed.I tried the custom rom thing and bricked my first Optimus S which Sprint replaced free of charge.

My phone has no issues so im not wanting to update and lose my root.My wife updated hers last night and the performance of a stock LG doesn't impress to much.

So pretty much what im looking for is a way to disable this update notification as i will not be using it.Its very annoying.
    02-11-2011 11:13 AM
    unless you are rooted, and have a custom recovery, your choices are to deal with it or apply the update unfortunately.

People who are rooted and have a text editor that can gain r/w permissions on the system directory could change it as well but if your going to do that it's easier to just put on a custom recovery and flash the buildprop.
    Monkeytrix29 likes this.
    02-11-2011 11:35 AM
    I am currently rooted.Have no custom rom installed because I get error messages when i try to use abd shell from command prompt on pc.I do have rom manager premium but it makes no sense to me, and it bricked my phone last time i tried to add a custom recovery.I guess i should say "I" bricked it.

Alright, ill just clear it when it pops up and call it good.Thanx for the replies.
    02-11-2011 11:47 AM
    Same issue ... im am getting the update notices to goto ver VC i have custom recovery and Nrom base with alot of my own graphic changes ... how do i stop the update notice or what happens if i update? do i loos my root access? or brick my phone?
    02-11-2011 01:46 PM
    according to this post: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...tml#post600732

just rename or delete the file system/etc/security/otacerts.zip (for stock rooted phones)

any idea on how to do that? just tried astro and cant rename it. Dont even know how to set its permissions either.
    02-11-2011 04:53 PM
    Root Explorer is what you want to use. Mount R/W change, mount R/O when done.

according to this post: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...tml#post600732

just rename or delete the file system/etc/security/otacerts.zip (for stock rooted phones)

any idea on how to do that? just tried astro and cant rename it. Dont even know how to set its permissions either.
    02-11-2011 05:41 PM
    Deleting the update zip and renaming the otacerts.zip weren't enough for me to stop getting the prompt. I had to actually accept the prompt afterwards, let it fail, and reboot. Then it finally stopped.

There's a new buildprop that seemingly spoofs the system into thinking it has the updated radio, but actually doesn't. Maybe this is what would prevent it from prompting?
    02-11-2011 07:25 PM
    Is there any free apps other than "root explorer"?

I dont plan to do much to my phone, and dont feel like paying for an app I will use once.
    02-11-2011 09:30 PM
    Is there any free apps other than "root explorer"?

I dont plan to do much to my phone, and dont feel like paying for an app I will use once.
    ES File Explorer should do what you are looking for.
    Download ES File Explorer for your Android phone on AppBrain
    02-11-2011 09:32 PM
    I tried es file explorer but it did not work. The root access failed. Z4root says I am rooted.
    02-11-2011 11:22 PM
    I tried es file explorer but it did not work. The root access failed. Z4root says I am rooted.
    Hmm, check Super User to see if it shows up as "denied" If it shows denied, then allow it. If it shows that it is allowed, then press on it and "forget" the app. Restart ES File Explorer and when the SU window pops up, "allow" it.
    02-11-2011 11:28 PM
    Tried that without any luck.
    02-12-2011 12:55 AM
    So root explorer worked... still scared to make the update fail.. leaving that for another day.
    02-12-2011 01:28 AM
    unless you are rooted, and have a custom recovery, your choices are to deal with it or apply the update unfortunately.

People who are rooted and have a text editor that can gain r/w permissions on the system directory could change it as well but if your going to do that it's easier to just put on a custom recovery and flash the buildprop.
    Ok so my wife's phone is rooted with z4 but stock otherwise. I deleted the update from the cache, renamed the otacert file and edited the param in the build prop to say 2.2_r9 instead of r7. I rebooted but still got the update prompt. Should I run it and see if it fails or us there another build prop edit I need to make?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    02-12-2011 10:18 AM
    So heres an Update:

Called sprint this morning to ask them to remove my phone from the update list as i do not want or need this update.They in turn told me it was an LG issue and gave me their number.Soooo i called LG.And they told me it was an issue on sprints end and informed me that they would be contacting sprint to let them know that they need to stop telling people its their fault.

So as usual it one company placing the blame on another and vise versa.Go figure.

They said at LG that the update will push itself thru to your phone eventually with or without your permission if you do not except it after a certain number of days.
    02-12-2011 10:52 AM
    Sorry forgot to ask if anyone has step by step instructions for the otacerts.zip renaming?

I found the file in my root using File Manager (free!) and kinda need someone to let me know where exactly the whole deleteing the cache takes place.

And id like to thank everyone who helped out on this thread, you guys are the best in my book!
    02-12-2011 11:04 AM
    Im currently Rooted with Z4root but have no custom roms installed.I tried the custom rom thing and bricked my first Optimus S which Sprint replaced free of charge.

My phone has no issues so im not wanting to update and lose my root.My wife updated hers last night and the performance of a stock LG doesn't impress to much.

So pretty much what im looking for is a way to disable this update notification as i will not be using it.Its very annoying.
    If you are only rooted without any custom recovery or custom rom then you are basically running at the stock performance anyway. Just rooting your phone alone does nothing for performance. You might as well just unroot and let it update.
    02-12-2011 11:41 AM
    If you are only rooted without any custom recovery or custom rom then you are basically running at the stock performance anyway. Just rooting your phone alone does nothing for performance. You might as well just unroot and let it update.

Id have to disagree.Ive noticed a substantial boost in performance after installing root and running Minfreemanager and CPU overclocking as well as many other root required apps that boost performance.

Not to mention that you do not need a rom to uninstall numerous preloaded Sprint apps.
    02-12-2011 11:56 AM
    Ok, so i downloaded Rootexplorer and it force closes on me everytime so i guess that apps out of the question.

I then downloaded ESmanager and that tells me "Sorry operation failed" when i try to rename the otscert.zip to .bak....

Tryed Filemanager as well and recieve the same message.

I checked in my Superuser and there arent any of the above apps listed in there.Should they be?
    02-12-2011 12:16 PM
    Ok, so i downloaded Rootexplorer and it force closes on me everytime so i guess that apps out of the question.

I then downloaded ESmanager and that tells me "Sorry operation failed" when i try to rename the otscert.zip to .bak....

Tryed Filemanager as well and recieve the same message.

I checked in my Superuser and there arent any of the above apps listed in there.Should they be?
    To Monkeytrix,

Yes, any of these apps would need su permissions to change system protected files and/or folders from a read/only state to rewrite. Otherwise, you can only look at the files and shake an angry fist when the rename attempt fails.

Open su and check your settings if root explorer is not listed. Make sure superuser is allowing apps to request su permissions. I think that should solve your su issues. Maybe?

S.O.S. - Optimus S rooted, oc'd, ThundeRom (Thanks A.C. and all the hardworking devs)
    Monkeytrix29 and sabauman like this.
    02-12-2011 12:32 PM
    Thanks samsonsite.

I actually opted to install Rootexplorer via torrent download and skipped the market all together and version 2.10.1 installed like a breeze.

Used R/W and renamed file to .bak and it succeeded without a hitch!!!

Now where might i go about clearing the update cache? Is this something i can do with cachemate or is it somewhere else?
    Still getting the Update pop-up every minute or so....
    02-12-2011 12:36 PM
    Try rebooting. Haven't had a nag all day.
    Monkeytrix29 likes this.
    02-12-2011 02:14 PM
    Thanks for the heads up chardog!!!

So I took your suggestion and went ahead and rebooted my phone, and I initially got an update request on the first boot up but none since and its been two hours now.So ill keep my fingers crossed for now!
    02-12-2011 04:34 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD