Anyway to remove the "superuser" app?

moonwoo

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I bought my Optimus S on ebay and apparently it was a rooted phone. I didn't think much of it but did note the superuser icon on the home screen. A few days ago I received the OTA update to LS670ZVC and now I lost SU abilities. I would like to remove the superuser app from the home screen but from what I am reading on the net it doesn't look like it is going to be the easiest thing.

Is the only way I can get rid of it re-rooting? If so any good suggestions on how I can do so? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks so much

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you SuperUser.apk is installed in /system/app/SuperUser.apk then you'll need to be root to remove it the standard way. Unfortunately if you took the OTA VC update, we don't currently have a way to root your phone.

You could force flash V9 and it will also remove it (and allow you to root)

Instructions are in my signature.

Reactions: moonwoo

moonwoo

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks for the quick reply. I did just try that method but it failed. I was able to get through step o) ok but after the computer connected to the phone, it crashed (Windows 7 said program is not responding) and it shut down the KP500 program. Thankfully my phone was fine. Any ideas on what happened? Thanks again

moonwoo

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
sorry how can I check to see if there were any log files? Also another thing I noticed is that it initially said it was missing two different gif files. Then I had to click the "restart" button to have it reconnect to the phone. Before I try again I just wanted to see what you thought about these. Thanks again.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like the LG Software Updater tool didn't install completely, but I can't be sure about that.

There might be a log file in C:\LGMobileUpgrade if the process got far enough.

Reactions: moonwoo

moonwoo

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I am starting to think it did not install properly either. Every time I open and try to close it it says "LGUserCSTool MFC *** has stopped working" which I believe is the same message I got when the program failed earlier during the reversion. I am also not able to find the C:\\LGMobileUpgrade folder anywhere

Perhaps its a Windows 7 issue.? which version are you using? BTW thanks so much for your help. I wont bug you anymore. Perhaps I need to wait for the 2.3 update to do this properly :(

moonwoo

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey sfhub, I tried it again under XP compatible mode on my windows 7 machine and it worked like a charm. Plus the superuser app is gone with the new Froyo version is the ZV9! One last question is, it loaded back all my programs even on the ZV9 instead of flashing everything and starting from scratch. Is that a common thing? Thanks again. you are awesome

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey sfhub, I tried it again under XP compatible mode on my windows 7 machine and it worked like a charm. Plus the superuser app is gone with the new Froyo version is the ZV9! One last question is, it loaded back all my programs even on the ZV9 instead of flashing everything and starting from scratch. Is that a common thing? Thanks again. you are awesome
I don't remember if LG Software Updater clears data/cache as part of its procedure. If you are seeing all your apps, then it keeps your data and maybe cache.

If everything is working great, then don't worry about it. If things start working funny, wipe cache, then reboot.

If they are still working funny, backup, wipe data/cache, restore backup. Once you wipe data, you'll lose your settings, hence the backup/restore.

Also, you can root v9 easily using z4root. However if you ever want to move to the vC OS/radio, make sure you did the step where you manually restored the v9 recovery image. Otherwise, once you upgrade to vC, you won't be able to root anymore.

Last edited: