new here got some questions.

mikey412

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
hey eveybody just got my lg optimas yesterday and i love it..but i really dont know how to play videos/music from the SD card.ive made a folder called "media" and inside that i made 2 other folders called "music" and "videos"..now when im on the phone i cant anywhere to play them? do i need a app for that and if so whats the best one out there for free?

i got the taskiller app but after i kill all the task it will read 318m then after a min the apps come up in the background again like pandora, sprint ID (which i dont use) voicemail, settings and android market.then itll read 300m..i got a red android guy with a x on him on the main screen..should i try a diff task killer?

is it easy to tether? using a usb cable vs the wi fi?

i would like to get a good un-installer as well

any other app i might need please post!!

thanks in advance:D

EDIT: i forgot ..does anybody else have a lag time going into landscape mode then going back? mine seems to be a lil outta wack.

EDIT: sorry again forgot to ask..do i need a anti virus protection for my phone??? whats the best?

Last edited:

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I like vplayer for videos. Go into your gallery and your stuff should be in there and able to play without the need for an app. I just like vplayer because it plays alot off formats.

Ditch the task killer. Not needed with android 2.2. It will actually hurt performance and battery (always restarting apps.)

See the wifi hotspots thread for tethering info.

Look around this side of the forums. Tons of info. Enjoy your phone :)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

RoberMR

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard. I am fairly new here too, but I can help you with some of your questions.

For Music, you should create a folder on the SD card (there may be one in there already) and add your music files in subfolders. For example, you can have a folder for Garth Brooks, another one for Rolling Stones, Beattles, etc. Then place the albums for the artists in subfolders. I assume same idea applies to videos. When you bring up the screen full of programs from the middle icon at the bottom of the page, you'll see the music app. It knows where to find the music folder.

Task Killer: Don't bother. I installed one right away and ended up uninstalling it. Apparently, Froyo (Android 2.2) does a good job of controlling memory already.

I don't think you need a "good uninstaller" either.

One useful app to install is "App 2 SD" from the marketplace. It identifies apps that can be moved to the SD card to save internal memory. Caution: Some apps may not work properly after they are moved to the SD card even if App2SD thinks it can. You'll have to re-install them into main memory.

I haven't tried "tethering" so I don't have any info for you.

I don't have the Sprint ID thing turned on. In order to get rid of the button on the home screen, I installed (from the Market) ADW Launcher. It replaces the built in home screen and lets you use that button space for whatever you like.

I installed Antivirus (free) program from the Market. It works well and doesn't get in the way of anything. It's up to you how you feel about viruses.

I would suggest that you don't load too many apps in your system until you get comfortable and then as you need stuff, you can check the Market to find things.

I hope these few tips help you get going.

Good Luck,
Rob

mikey412

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the info guys...going mess around with it when its done charging..how do i un-install apps that ive downloaded? i was using a un-installed program but can i do it threw the phone it self?

mikey412

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks!.....i think i want a "cleaning" program that will clean up...whats a good app for that? sorry theres just sooooooo many apps out there it makes my head hurt!

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
About the only cleaning app I use is an app called cache cleaner... which cleans up work files created by apps. But I wouldn't bother downloading it until you have a reason to use it.

If you have a specific need go search for an app for that (i.e. I needed a navigation app w on device maps... so I searched for apps in the market and then searched for feedback on the apps in various android forums).

In addition there are uses for your phone that you probably weren't even aware of so for that stuff check out the recommended apps (there are threads all over the place that will give you some good ideas).

If you go to the market and try to figure out what to download/try from there you'll drive yourself bonkers.

acromack

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The music app should be able to find your music wherever you put it, and will adhere to any subfolder hierarchy you create and the tags on the music files themselves (artist/song/album info)..

Task killers. Many will bash you for even mentioning them, some will still defend them. My opinion is that Android does a fine job by itself of managing memory usage, but this doesn't apply for battery hogs. Sometimes you have an app polling info in the background chewing up battery. It can be helpful to have something that lets you see what's running so you can kill said battery hog. With that said, you still don't need a task killer since you can just go into settings > applications > manage applications > running, and do it all from there..

For Sprint ID, you shouldn't try to kill it from ATK. Instead, the easiest way to get rid of it is to use a replacement home app. Search Go Launcher EX, Launcher Pro, ADW EX, just to name a few..

Tether is easy. If you aren't root, there's an exploit that works, and has it's own sticky thread for your reading pleasure. If you are root, you can grab Wireless Tether (creates a wifi hotspot) or PDAnet (allows you to tether over usb), both available from the market. You won't get charged extra from sprint for doing this, either. So tether your little heart out.

Have fun!

mikey412

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
not really sure what root means but i think ill try PDAnet (a friend has it but paid for) and it hooks up with the usb..so i dont need a cleaner then? i guess im just looking at it to much like a computer

mikey412

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
and is there anyway to get the "old" sprint voice mail like i had when i had my sanyo pro?..sprint is making me say my name and use it for the greeting and if i dont say sumthing it will say " is not available please leave a detail message" when some one gets my VM..before it just it say "you have reach the sprint phone of xxxxxxx please leave a message" how to i get this message back? i know this is off topic but i figured u guys would know?..and thanks so much for helping me understand this OS cuz it gets sum getting used to!

mikey412

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
ive also downloaded a keyboard and sum other stuff which i cant seem to find and it took out my swype ...sorry i keep posting all my questions im just so lost with this OS!!

BKMSTR

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
not really sure what root means but i think ill try PDAnet (a friend has it but paid for) and it hooks up with the usb..so i dont need a cleaner then? i guess im just looking at it to much like a computer

Check in the rooting subforum for rooting. Rooting basically gives you full control over your phone. You can also look through the rooting tab up on the top of the site for more info on rooting in general.

ive also downloaded a keyboard and sum other stuff which i cant seem to find and it took out my swype ...sorry i keep posting all my questions im just so lost with this OS!!

Settings > Language & keyboard > Put a check in the boxes to the right of the keyboards you want to try, then in any text input field long press > Input method > choose which keyboard you would like to use.

Have fun with the phone. It's a great one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol