Not enough available memory???

MonsteRoid

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So I'm always seeming to run out of memory. I know I've got a few apps that take up space but is there anyway to use the sd card as a way of running more memory? btw I'm unroot.

pcubed

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If you're not rooted, I believe the only way to make space is to move as many applications as you can to your SD card. Also, clear out the cache for applications like Browser and Email/Gmail.

Ez Duzit

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
In addition to clearing the cache of various apps and moving any apps to SD card that allow it, I'm willing to bet there's several apps you've downloaded but don't really use. Maybe some games you don't play anymore or never did. Go into settings > Applications > Manage Applications, then click the downloaded button at top left corner. Look for the apps that take up more space, and also for the ones that don't let you move to the sd card. If you see one that fits this criteria and you don't use it much. Uninstall it. There's probably at least 5-10 apps you would never miss. But if you ever do need any of them in the future, it easy enough to just download em again at that time.
You could also back up all your apps to sd before you uninstall anything. So in the future if you want to use one of the apps you removed you don't even need to download it. You already have the apk file, backed up in your phone.

Ez

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
App management must be done on a regular basis with these phones even droids with a lot of space get clogged up. So uninstall apps u dont use. When I get an app i like I backup a copy of the apk on my sd. :)

MonsteRoid

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
When I use Task Killer most of the programs I've killed just end up poping back up. Is there any other way to make sure they're closed or at least stay closed.?

Captain Niko

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Memory constraints.

Ok so my new 4gb micro sd is serving me fine. Unfortunately I still have to deal with the phones limited storage capacity and I cant move every app over to my sd card. :'(
  • So what I wanna know is there a way I can free up more internal phone space?
  • Could I delete the stock apps that i DLed another app to replace?
  • If I delete stock apps is there a way to get them back aside from factory reset?

My phone is not rooted or anything special btw. Just a LG Optimus with too many apps i guess lol.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
App2SD program?

A large part which takes up internal memory is usually things like Facebook and Browser data/cache.... I see both of them creeping at over 10GB on a regular basis....

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
get a bigger SD card and move what apps you can to it?

clear cache files on apps?

I've had that problem on my Hero and my G1, but never on this phone....

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I know many people are averse to rooting and loading a custom rom but on this phone the limited amount of internal phone storage space has made it a necessity for me.

I have a secure work email client that chews up 26MB alone plus 3 other apps that chew up 10MB apiece.

I use a rom that uses a lot less space then stock and I use the aforementioned suggestions of moving apps to SD, clearing cache (I use cachecleaner and have it sort the apps by those that use the most cache) and removing apps I don't use.

The limited internal storage is quickly turning into my only real complaint with this phone.

Captain Niko

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
you're not low on memory, you're low on storage space.

Ok, my bad. None of these suggestions really helped(I have app2sd and i try and regularly clear my caches) I've deleted things like facebook and tumblr since they cant be moved to my sd and they chew up alot of space with their caches.

I've considered rooting my phone a lot but I'm really scared of bricking it lol. So I'm really trying to avoid that:-!

the_mastermind

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If you have time to read all the instructions and familar with a MSDOS type enviroment i say just root the phone.

I had the same problem before i rooted it but with my new ROM it seems better and it takes out all of the sprint bloatware. but then again i havent reinstalled all my apps :p

joshb2118

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Try install manager, lets you move any app to sd card if your rooted! Keep in mind that certain apps work best saved on the phone, particularly ones that have widgets or a system reliant...

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
honestly, rooting isnt hard, as long as you take the time to go through all the instructions in the rooting threads on this site...

devores

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
facebook app is the culprit

I used to have this problem a lot and found that the facebook app was creeping up in memory. i deleted that app and have had much fewer problems.

side note, i installed it again after the latest update and it doesn't seem to have the same problem. I don't allow it to sync all contacts though so that might have something to do with it.

i'm still unrooted (being really tempted lately though)

JMusic

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I'll ask here as my question is related. My girlfriend has an Optimus S. It seems like a great phone. Her main, and often made, complaint is that she can't install anything. She's always running at the edge of being out of install space on the phone. She doesn't really have that much installed.

I did a little trick back when I had my a lower capacity phone to get more space for apps, and I'm wondering if it applies to this phone. I moved the dalvik-cache to the /cache partition and then symlinked it back to where it's supposed to be. That gave a huge chunk of space back in the /data partition, and /cache doesn't usually get too filled up so it really had no downsides.

Without having rooted around (pun kinda intended), and knowing my girlfriend will only give up her phone for so long before complaining that my "hacking isn't worth the trouble", I'm hoping to have a plan in my head before I offer to fix her problems.

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I did a little trick back when I had my a lower capacity phone to get more space for apps, and I'm wondering if it applies to this phone. I moved the dalvik-cache to the /cache partition and then symlinked it back to where it's supposed to be. That gave a huge chunk of space back in the /data partition, and /cache doesn't usually get too filled up so it really had no downsides.

That's exactly what the custom roms do for the Optimus S to have more free cache

The phone has 3 main locations for storage

/system

/data

/cache

The problem is by default, dalvik-cache sits in /data - taking up space
/cache isn't used much

So the Rom cookers tweak the dalvik-cache into the /cache location, freeing up /data space

This has 2 bonuses, more app install space + more dalvik-cache space

Not sure if this can be done on an un-rooted phone though.

Reactions: JMusic

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar