Can I downgrade my Optimus S to 2.2?

scoty024

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way to downgrade the Optimus S to 2.2.0 rather than 2.2.2 or 2.2.1. I don't know what version the phone originally started with, if it came out with 2.2.0 and was built up from there or if it was 2.2.2 out of the box. Any help would be great, thanks.

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The optimus comes with 2.2 ( froyo)
The next one would be 2.3 (gingerbread) I run gingerbread.

2.2.2 etc are minor updates that would you have no reason to downgrade.

If you want to root you need to downgrade you SW version (LG softwere version)

There are very good how-to' s on the fourm. So its a matter of how much are you willing to learn

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CarrieK

scoty024

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Okay, now can someone answer my question rather than tell me "oh, you don't need to".
I'm a seasoned android user who knows the difference between 2.2.0 and 2.2.2. I also know that for what I'm trying to do I need 2.2.0 because none of the updates are supported. So, again, can the Optimus S be downgraded to 2.2.0?

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe so. I believe the v8 software which was a prerelease was 2.2.1. I don't think a 2.2.0 was ever released for us.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Og, I think you gave a very helpful answer to the OP's question based on the lack of information offered about what he was trying to accomplish and the fact that he has a Droid X listed as his device and only 30 posts. I was thinking along the same lines you were. :)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The phone came out with 2.2.1

There were some earlier test versions but I doubt many people would have experience with them.

You can try the v7 cab to see what version it comes up with.

Be aware if you recently received your Optimus, there's a good chance it has the new LCD hardware and any version before VC will give you a blank screen. The phone will boot and the touchscreen is functional, you just won't have visual feedback. If it is just temporary, you could use Android Screencast to get around that.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
<flame>

Your post is pointless and ignorant.

How do you quantify the experience of a user from the number of his/her posts?

Was your post helpful or informative in any way? If no, what does the number of your posts mean?

What does the fact that the OP has a Droid X have to do with the point and validity of the question?

</flame>

I just think when someone is trying to help a person could at least appreciate the gesture. Why flame me, I wasn't rude. There was no reason for OP to be so snarky. All we have to go by when we try to help someone is the information they give us. Og was just trying to help based on what little he knew.

EDIT: I apologize if I were out of line. I am not a mod so perhaps saying anything was not my place. Just makes you a little leery about trying to help someone if you think you might get your head bitten off.

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Okay, now can someone answer my question rather than tell me "oh, you don't need to".
I'm a seasoned android user who knows the difference between 2.2.0 and 2.2.2. I also know that for what I'm trying to do I need 2.2.0 because none of the updates are supported. So, again, can the Optimus S be downgraded to 2.2.0?

Pardon my curiosity, but when you say that "none of the updates are supported" what do you mean?

On a side note, there is no such thing as 2.2.0 for the Optimus S AFAIK.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
<flame>

Your post is pointless and ignorant.

How do you quantify the experience of a user from the number of his/her posts?

Was your post helpful or informative in any way? If no, what does the number of your posts mean?

What does the fact that the OP has a Droid X have to do with the point and validity of the question?

</flame>

Was your post helpful or informative in any way?

Why don't you ask the same question about your post, this is a warning replying like this will not be tolerated.

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Wow man... nice first post to read today. Someone needs a hug. Better yet if your so experienced why don't u do your own research mr wizzard. Thanks for gettin me pissed off at the world cuz of morons that try to talk down to you when offered help. THE ONLY THING YOUR EXPERIENCED AT IS BIENG A D.BAG. enjoy the forums!!! Lmao. Sorry all... got under my skin..

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I've never heard of anything being able to be done on 2.2 that couldnt be done on 2.2 update 2...

AFAIK, it can't be done. Thats not an impossibility, like somebody mentioned, try v7 perhaps... If you do, make sure you let us know if it works

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I think you can do this, it's just a question of how much work it's going to be.

You can get the source code from the LG download site (go here and search for LS670). Unzip and you will see there are separate tarballs for the system software and the kernel. You only care about the system sofware, so untar that.

Then, you can get stock Froyo of any minor version you want from the official Android git tree (hopefully you have the SDK and are familiar with git).

Then, it's just a matter of diffing and merging whatever code you need from the official branch.

The less you actually need to use from 2.2.0 to fix whatever problem you have with 2.2.2, the easier it's going to be -- if you just need to dummy the version number or change a few files, that's a lot easier since you won't have to rebuild and replace the entire OS.

I don't know how much the LG code is different from standard 2.2.2, and I don't know how much of the Android tree changed from 2.2.0 to 2.2.2, and I don't know how precisely you've pinpointed what you need to roll back, so I won't guess at how complicated this will be. I can see it taking an hour or two, and I can see it taking weeks if you try to port the whole phone to 2.2.0 and there are thousands of things to merge.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Apparently Larry didn't get his point across so I'm going to be a little more direct.

The next person that replies off topic, gets in a pissing match, or has a measuring contest in this thread is going to take a vacation from the forum. If this is in anyway not clear, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: mclarryjr

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I think you can do this, it's just a question of how much work it's going to be.

You can get the source code from the LG download site (go here and search for LS670). Unzip and you will see there are separate tarballs for the system software and the kernel. You only care about the system sofware, so untar that.

Then, you can get stock Froyo of any minor version you want from the official Android git tree (hopefully you have the SDK and are familiar with git).

Then, it's just a matter of diffing and merging whatever code you need from the official branch.

The less you actually need to use from 2.2.0 to fix whatever problem you have with 2.2.2, the easier it's going to be -- if you just need to dummy the version number or change a few files, that's a lot easier since you won't have to rebuild and replace the entire OS.

I don't know how much the LG code is different from standard 2.2.2, and I don't know how much of the Android tree changed from 2.2.0 to 2.2.2, and I don't know how precisely you've pinpointed what you need to roll back, so I won't guess at how complicated this will be. I can see it taking an hour or two, and I can see it taking weeks if you try to port the whole phone to 2.2.0 and there are thousands of things to merge.

The fact that doing that could be possible scares me mainly because even that's way to much for my brain to take in. Props be to the OP if he/she does that and it works.

OP (scoty024): Again I need to ask you. What exactly are you trying to do/run/install/etc that NEEDS 2.2.0 and not 2.2.2? I apologize if I seem ignorant of your issue, but I would really like to know! Maybe there is a workaround!

Last edited:

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
that was done in the VC and V9 versions... 2.2-0 had nothing to do with that... (post above beat me to it)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
that was done in the VC and V9 versions... 2.2-0 had nothing to do with that... (post above beat me to it)

Drew is quick like that! I am also curious to hear what the 2.2.0 specific request is about. Simply because if there is something 2.2.0 specific i want to make sure it happens on other builds if possible :D

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thing that puzzled me is when did the 2.2.2 release come out? My phone was (until a few days ago) on 2.2.1 and on VD...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox