Now that Sprint is raising their prices for companies to use their text service, ESPN has cut off free text alerts for us.

Does anyone know another service or an app that gives text alerts for sports news/teams? I prefer text alerts as opposed to opening an app, but that is just me.

Thanks.

Mav.
    04-05-2011 09:51 AM
    Sports Tap might be what you are looking for.

I haven't used it, but it states to deliver alert notifications of favorite teams.
    04-05-2011 11:14 AM
    I haven't looked at Sports Tap, but any app that offers alerts will assuredly be on the "must have" list of apps for Sprint sports fans.

I'm hoping ESPN gets to providing push notifications for ScoreCenter, especially considering the iOS version of that app has 'em.
    04-05-2011 11:19 AM
    Hopefully I can find a way to have it come through my gtalk account. If not what will I do on saturdays and sundays durring football season guess I'll actually have to watch all those games.
    04-05-2011 12:35 PM
    Yahoo has alerts that you can customize. I've never used them though.
    Yahoo! Alerts - Create an Alert
    04-05-2011 02:35 PM
    Both good suggestions.

I liked ESPN as it gave news, trades, rumors, firings, hirings, etc along with scores in their texts.

Thanks.

Mav.
    04-05-2011 03:06 PM
    Once again, leave it to sprint to mess up a good thing.
    04-05-2011 04:27 PM
    I use Yahoo Live Scores. It has been reliable at giving me game starts and scores. The widget was a battery killer though.
    04-07-2011 09:03 PM
    Google Scoreboard Widget is another app to get basic updates. Pretty configurable (teams, frequency of notifications, how often to updated). Doesn't seem too bad on my battery either.
    04-08-2011 08:00 AM
    4INFO joins in; I just received a message from them saying "due to fees" they will stop sending to sprint
    04-18-2011 07:04 PM
    weather.com has also said they will no longer text Sprint customers.

http://www.androidcentral.com/weathe...texting-sprint
    04-18-2011 09:03 PM
    The only way to get it changed is to call Sprint and whomever you can to put pressure on Sprint. Even then it might not make a difference, but certainly if people don't express their displeasure to Sprint, they won't make any changes.

They recently gave in on the Gold/Silver Premiere upgrades that they took away from people on 4/1/11.
    04-18-2011 10:07 PM
    How is Sprint going to implement this? Any chance of my Alltel/Verizon number working when I port it in at the end of May?
    04-26-2011 11:27 PM
    Does anyone know of or has (successfully) tried one of the free texting apps that give you your own phone number to see if you can continue to get text alerts from ESPN?

I see apps like "textPlus Free" "Textfree" and "HeyWire" that offer this.
    They give you a seperate phone number to use for texting.

If one works, this would be a nice little workaround to still be able to get info from ESPN.

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks.

Mav.
    04-29-2011 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD