Help with LG Optimus S! Hate the phone will rooting help?

vkettell

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello-I have had my LG Optimus S for about 2 months now, and I am very disappointed. My screen continues to lock up and I am unable to use the phone at times. I continue to have to "force close" different launchers and things, and when an alarm goes off, or I receive a call, or simply unlock it to try to use it, I can push the screen for up to 30 seconds and nothing registers. At times I can't even unlock the screen saver to get to the home screen. Last night my husband was calling (I knew this by the ringtone) and the screen had the picture and contact info for someone else, but no other options. I am wanting to root my phone, will this take care of the locking up issue? I want to use my phone as a hotspot, maybe it will be good for that since it really isn't good for anything else. How can I root using my mac or do I have to use a PC? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like your particular device has hardware issues. Rooting won't do a thing for those issues and in fact could make them worse if you happen to screw up.

My suggestion would be to simply take your device back to Sprint and get a replacement.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Either that or some OTA update came in and the caches are messed up. Try wipe cache from Recovery. If that doesn't work, try Menu->Settings->Privacy->Reset. It'll reset all your data so backup anything that would be difficult to re-enter.

Last edited:

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Either that or some OTA update came in and the caches are messed up. Try wipe cache from Recovery. If that doesn't work, try Menu->Settings->Privacy->Reset. It'll reset all your data so backup anything that would be difficult to re-enter.

Didn't think about that one. Nice catch!

vkettell

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your help. It is a replacement phone, I lost my HTC Evo in February, and it has been locking up since I got it (I thought this was an Android thing because the Evo did it at times, not like this though), now it is getting progressively worse. I took it into a Sprint store tonight, and was told that they could charge me $35 to look at it-if they could recreate the problem after doing a factory reset, then I would have to buy a new phone at full retail cost because I am not eligible for an upgrade. If they could not recreate the problem, then I would have wasted $35 because I would still be stuck with the phone. On my own, I have formatted (or reformatted) the SD card, done the factory reset and went a few days with it just as a phone-no apps, and the same thing happens. I hate to say it, but I came to Sprint from the fruit based company, and I think my old phone has ruined any future phones that I get. If it weren't for the non-existent coverage, I would still be with them-I thought it was more important to be able to make a phone call with 2 small children in case of an emergency than to have a cool phone to play with. Now I have SUPER coverage, but a phone that doesn't work. Sooo, any more help that you can provide would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Most of the users here will attest that what you are describing isn't normal for this phone. It is quite usable and stable. Now that's not to say we haven't encountered fragments of what you describe, but if we did usually it is because some cause and effect action, which we could reverse or reset once we identified.

If your phone is misbehaving with stock everything and just reset, then that is probably a problem with the phone.

There is one other type of reset you may want to try.

It is a ##786# (##RTN#) reset. You dial those #s from the phone dialer. It will ask you for your MSL which you can get by calling Sprint tech support and saying your phone data is not working and it won't update profile so you wanted to do a ##786# reset but it is asking you for MSL.

This will reset your whole phone as well as the NVRAM. Try running your phone for a day (or few hours) with nothing else installed and see if it behaves differently. If it is still misbehaving, then it is likely a hardware problem.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I've had an issue where it would ring, but the screen wouldn't come on for me to be able to answer it... A factory reset solved that issue for me... however, it only happened twice

If it locks up, try a battery pull, and then rebooting into recovery (hold VOL-DOWN, HOME, POWER at the splash screen) and wipe data/cache, and maybe try restoring phone...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci