So much for that Gingerbread update, eh?

Blake1288

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
May now? IIRC its what two months to the time they said it would be out? Why don't they update our phones for the better user experience? All I've gotten so far is the loss of Z4 and my hotspot. Thanks a lot, LG.

athanos

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The only positive I can see now with an official update would be a more purified GB rom without any of the CM modifications. I personally use aospCMod because I like aosp's work. He used CM as a base and has since been removing some of the CM stuff, working toward a vanilla build. Once an official update happens he will be all over it making it very slim, stable, and fast.

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
The one big benefit I can see in an official update would be the ability to regain access to sub-menus tailored specifically for our phone.

For example, I use the "Force Roam" trick included with nROM on a semi-frequent basis (poor Sprint reception in my apartment), and there is no hidden LG menu with Scott Pilgrim or AOSP since those aren't official builds. Basing a ROM off of the official release would allow us to get back that access that's limited to ROM's and builds of 2.2 only right now.

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
There is probably one guy stuck in a small cubicle somewhere over at LG hammering out the update (over-exaggerated) but the update will come. It seems like nothing is released on time these days.

Maybe that wasn't over exaggerated. The only person I ever see making edits to the build.prop, init.rc, etc. is a Shino Lee or something like that :O

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The only positive I can see now with an official update would be a more purified GB rom without any of the CM modifications. I personally use aospCMod because I like aosp's work. He used CM as a base and has since been removing some of the CM stuff, working toward a vanilla build. Once an official update happens he will be all over it making it very slim, stable, and fast.

That and everything would hopefully work, (like bluetooth).

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The only person I ever see making edits to the build.prop, init.rc, etc. is a Shino Lee or something like that :O

I know who you're talking about. I emailed that guy just for S's & G's and he never wrote me back!!! Damn yous Shino (or whatever his name is)

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth doesnt matter to me, I never use it... so there really isnt a point in me worry about the bluetooth...

However, I was trying to wait for the stock GB to come OTA but... I gave up and flashed it with CM7 GB... either way, if it comes up stock, i may go back to a stock rom, but i'm unsure as of this moment

lichan

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If you are rooted, do not flash anything OTA even Gingerbread. It will remove remove your root and there's nothing worse than walking around rootless!

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
May now? IIRC its what two months to the time they said it would be out? Why don't they update our phones for the better user experience? All I've gotten so far is the loss of Z4 and my hotspot. Thanks a lot, LG.
Can you provide a source link for the original ETA and the May ETA?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I know back on Dec 11, 2010, a lot of forums, android sites, and the works were guessing the optimus would have gingerbread by march.... but i've seen speculation that its coming in may, i dont remember where...

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The last i read, can not remember where, but GB was to be released towards the end of may. Me personally do not care, because i am just waiting for someone to make a simple one click (like Z4) root. but with all these updates I am going to be waiting awhile. I am not techy enough to do the adb shell thingy.

phreak311

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I don't really care about the update to Gingerbread, because Custom ROMS are so much better. Also CM7 will always be better than stock Gingerbread anyway.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
hence why I said I have two Optimii and not two Optimus' or Optimuses...

its like Prius, whose plural is Prii....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000