My Optimus is giving a very slow internet connection when i use the hotspot function.

Dark_Majesty_06

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Ive searched around and to no avail, i haven't found a solution to my problem. When i use the hotspot widget or quick settings, my hot spot connection is for pure and utter pooh... lol.. when i use it to stream movies or to download stuff.. i cant ever get over 30kbs a second.. is that normal? I remember with my old optimus, sometimes i could get speeds of up to 200k while downloading a file or streaming a video.. what gives? I just have a stock optimus, that's rooted and has a custom recovery.. nothing else.. I also have full 3g signal while downloading and streaming. I also use the security function of my hotspot to set up a password for my internet.. i believe its called wsp settings? Either way.. any suggestions on how to increase my speeds or to get this lazy phone up and running like my old one did?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ive searched around and to no avail, i haven't found a solution to my problem. When i use the hotspot widget or quick settings, my hot spot connection is for pure and utter pooh... lol.. when i use it to stream movies or to download stuff.. i cant ever get over 30kbs a second.. is that normal? I remember with my old optimus, sometimes i could get speeds of up to 200k while downloading a file or streaming a video.. what gives? I just have a stock optimus, that's rooted and has a custom recovery.. nothing else.. I also have full 3g signal while downloading and streaming. I also use the security function of my hotspot to set up a password for my internet.. i believe its called wsp settings? Either way.. any suggestions on how to increase my speeds or to get this lazy phone up and running like my old one did?
There is an incompatability between the wireless driver on the Optimus and some wireless cards. This results in lots of packet loss. I found this out after investigating the same behavior you are reporting. I had a Dell 1390 wireless connected and it was extremely slow. Checked the packets and was losing about 30-40% of the packets just pinging the phone, not even going over Sprint's wireless.

Then I connected to an Intel 3945 followed by an Intel 2210 and both had zero packet loss. The connection was very smooth over the Internet.

Not saying this is definitely what you are seeing, but that was my experience.

Reactions: Dark_Majesty_06

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Sprint has been being slow all day, unsure why...

however, if this issue has been persistent, i'm not sure why.

Dark_Majesty_06

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the issues persistent with me.. just on my hotspot tho.. when I'm on the internet on my phone, its really fast. Youtube is definitly light speed... lol. Okay ill check another pc out and see how that goes. I'm about to buy an asus gaming rig, so maybe it'll have thatright card in it.

farfromuman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The native tethering is often unreliable for me (can't keep an open RDP session for more than 5 minutes on my laptop), WIFI Tether works much better I just wish it was infrastructure and not adhoc.

simon1419

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
It also depends on the time of day that you are using it. If more people are on at the same time speeds will be slower. If you are using it at 5 AM in the morning, speeds will be faster.

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The native tethering is often unreliable for me (can't keep an open RDP session for more than 5 minutes on my laptop), WIFI Tether works much better I just wish it was infrastructure and not adhoc.

There actually is a beta verse that supports it, ill post it up later

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I tether to my ps3 and I lag sometimes. But noticed the network is at it's fastest before lunch time and slows down around 2-11pm

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S

Last edited:

kapone86

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: My Optimus is giving a very slow internet connection when i u

yes, i am having the same problem, want it fixed, now from what i'm seeing, ppl are saying welcome to sprint and that doesn't seem to be the problem, cuz my sister has the evo from sprint, when i use her phone to download something, i'm gettin 170-200 kbps download, it's goin pretty damn fast, i can even play call of duty black ops online on my xbox360, but if i try using my phone, the optimus s, with the same network, i lag so bad, i'm only getting 15-30 kbps download, so whats the problem, we're both using sprints network, same 3g, and we're both using the same app, wireless tethering for root users, but the only difference is, her network shows as infrastructure, mine shows as ad hoc? how is it that hers is different? the developers really need to work more on the optimus cuz alot of ppl have it and want custom roms and such too

kapone86

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

if there is a beta version of some app that will change my ad hoc network to infrastructure, i would really like to know what it is, plz post it

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Hotspot widget (ie builtin wireless hotspot) is using infrastructure mode.

Wireless tether app is the one that is ad-hoc.

If you want infrastructure, use the hotspot widget with a ROM that has that feature enabled. Stock ROMs prior to ZVD had it enabled and some custom ROMs have it enabled.

burkett1974

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site

Even with the infrastructure hotspot, the speeds are still dismally slow with this phone. My wife still has the original Palm Pre with wifi hotspot and I can get 200k speeds on her phone and only 30k with mine. Definitely agree that it has something to do with the net chip in the phone.