Strange behavior - memory issues

ravibhau

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I run stock Android (2.2.1) with the ZVC SW version. I am always running into apps storage space issues. In the last few weeks I noticed a few strange issues

1. Some of my DL apps just disappeared. Some I could see in the Market, but the ones I got from Amazon are just gone

2. I haven't used the Stock browser for over a month now. But yesterday, the Browser had over 10MB of Data.

Here are my questions in this respect:

1. Is the Data portion of all Apps (including those loaded on the SD card) stored in the main App storage area?

2. How about the Cache? Is it ever on the SD card for apps loaded on the SD Card?

3. If I add up the total MB used by Apps not loaded on the SD card, the number is far less than the 160MB allocated to App memory - not sure what's the tech term for this. What is taking up nearly 145 MB of that?

I am trying to figure out a way to load more apps without rooting but looks like I am at the end of the rope here. Would appreciate any help.

paradox116

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
For the first question, I check it on my phone and it is yes. And second I am not really know about it. Because every time I will clear the Cache when I exist from an app.

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I run stock Android (2.2.1) with the ZVC SW version. I am always running into apps storage space issues. In the last few weeks I noticed a few strange issues

Here are my questions in this respect:

1. Is the Data portion of all Apps (including those loaded on the SD card) stored in the main App storage area?

2. How about the Cache? Is it ever on the SD card for apps loaded on the SD Card?

If you are not rooted and not running a custom Rom - your cache is located in the /data partition.

Your 2 biggest locations are /data and /system (usually read-only unless rooted and using 3rd party apps)

There is also a /cache location used for temporary storage - market downloads - etc

With a custom Rom - like Reborn - the devs make a script to move the dalvik-cache
which is usually located in /data - into the /cache location.

What this does is free up anywhere from 20-40+ MB of space for new apps

Also - it allows MORE apps to be installed because if you run out of dalvik-cache space, you
cannot install more apps - they just won't run.

Want / need more space? Have to root and flash a custom Rom

Or - delete apps you no longer need/use

Even if you install Apps to SD - you STILL need dalvik-cache space to run those apps.

By the way - you do NOT have to wipe /data when flashing Reborn over the stock rom.

YOU do have to wipe data if swapping from Thunder ROM -> Reborn ROM

turp415

May 10, 2011
Visit site
i had memory problems and found out i had over 1100 emails in the trash from the stock email app. i emptied that folder and it freed you a huge amount of space. i found it out myself. hope it helps you some.

Ez Duzit

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
To easily see what apps are taking up precious memory.
Go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications. Select All. Then press the menu key and choose sort by size.
It will sort the apps from largest to smallest.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX