I have an LG OPTIMUS S with SW Version LS670ZVD. I thought rooting would be easy, but I'm having a hard time. I've checked the forums and even downloaded the files to revert but I guess I'm opening the CMP in the wrong spot. If someone could direct me where to open the CMP or knows of an easier way to root my phone, I would greatly appreciate it. As stated in the title, I am a NOOBIE to the site and the Android world as well. This is my first droid and I just wanna make the most of it. Thanks in advance.
    kmoody42 likes this.
    04-15-2011 06:41 PM
    You have downloaded the sdk tool, correct?

(check your private messages)
    04-15-2011 06:58 PM
    Do you want a "slide to root" lol

There is pleanty of tutorials on here so. I learned on here with this phone although I already had the sdk becuase I wad a dreamer that thought he could develop *** with out knowing anything if java.

Anyways just read, rwad, and uh read some more and youll be fine. It also helps

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S
    04-16-2011 12:42 AM
    I have an LG OPTIMUS S with SW Version LS670ZVD. I thought rooting would be easy, but I'm having a hard time. I've checked the forums and even downloaded the files to revert but I guess I'm opening the CMP in the wrong spot. If someone could direct me where to open the CMP or knows of an easier way to root my phone, I would greatly appreciate it. As stated in the title, I am a NOOBIE to the site and the Android world as well. This is my first droid and I just wanna make the most of it. Thanks in advance.
    I feel your pain I been reading for 3 days and this is still really a nightmare, there so many guides that i have two or three open at once :-( this seems t be the only real web site doing anything with phone though. i have the LS670VC and best i can tell we both have to flash down and then back up very confusing because you have to use like three guides minimum.
    really sad part I own the htc evo and the Samsung epic and they were both rooted and rom in 3 hours. as we speak the evo my only internet at home :-(
    04-17-2011 12:05 AM
    If you have the sdk set up to your system path, this is what you must do...
    Open command prompt: start>all programs>command prompt
    Type: cd where you saved kp500. Ex. Cd desktop or cd downloads then push enter.

from there u should be able to follow the guide...if you still don't get it...just ask
    04-17-2011 12:21 AM
    As stated, its really not as hard as it looks, I've been walking people through this...

Rooting my hero was a breeze, but I had to revert from VD to V9 on this phone before I rooted it, I thought it was going to be a nightmare, but it really wasn't too bad...

We're all here to help, so feel free to ask questions, or PM some of the more knowledgeable persons here, We are all here to help (well, most of us)
    04-17-2011 02:34 AM
    Alright first of all, I have to say. I'm really not as stupid as the questions I have make me out to be. For some reason though despite my many efforts to comprehend I'm still missing some things.

I'll start from the beginning and try to sum up everything I need to do, hopefully this will help
    for some of the others that are still trying to sort this out aswell.

I bought an optimus s to replace my old pos instinct that broke. I've always been a big fan of the android platform and really anything linux related in the first place. Though this is my first android built device I have fiddled around with a few ports to other devices; netbooks, htc windows phones, etc.

As expected I really do love the phone but everytime I see the Sprint ID button or hit it by accident I feel like chunking the phone at the wall, so far I've been able to resist doing so.

As my earlier statements would imply I like to fiddle with my electronics and so it was always known to me that I would be flashing a different rom eventually.

Heres what I've been able to ascertain:
    1) The phone shipped with VC on it and instantly updated to VD before I really knew the difference.
    a) Whether it is VC or VD to root and flash a different rom I must first revert to V9
    *Because the phone shipped with VC the V9 radio will not run the display but
    I've read about the work arounds and am fairly convinced that will not be a
    problem.

2) Before I can consider flashing anything I obviously have to configure whatever PC I intend on using for this process.
    a) For convenience I have decided to use my Win 7 machine, there are several
    reasons.
    b) I have downloaded the sdk and configured a path variable for the platform tools
    dir.
    *Unless I am blind I havn't actually seen where anyone has used this variable,
    despite recommending that it be defined, no biggie just confusing.

c) This is a primary issue for me.
    *I know I have to get the drivers for the phone onto my computer before I can
    really consider trying to push anything to it using ABD. Despite knowing this I
    can't for the life of me find said drivers.

3) Once I have the above steps completed download KP500, the LG Support tool and custom recovery/root files needed for my rom of choice.
    a) Once I have actually completed the process of installing custom recovery I do
    intend on testing multiple roms so I will not be asking which are the best.
    *I am however a little curious regarding the custom recoveries.
    *From my research it appears more roms have been tested with xionia so I'm
    inclined to jump straight to it. But not really knowing the differences in the first
    place I'd like to make sure I don't have to repeat any unneccessary steps, like
    having to reflash the custom recovery itself.
    *Having said that this question is probably best for the custom recovery thread
    but since most newbies are going to click this thread first I thought I'd go ahead
    and ask flat out.
    **Which custom recovery is the most universal for testing purposes. Notice I did
    not ask which is the best.

I'd like to go ahead an apologize now for asking relatively silly questions but I feel asking
    now will save me more time in the long run. I did consider PMing some of the other
    members instead of posting a question here, but again I felt some of this may be helpful to sum up a course of action for our other newbies.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Sadly none of my indents worked, this is why I rarely post on forums and instead read for days on end.
    04-17-2011 02:56 PM
    sblood86, here is my attempt at your questions (note, I am very new at this, but a few weeks ago I was in your same shoes and have spent a lot of time reading and asking questions. Now that I am getting the hang of things, it is very enjoyable. The fact that you have read so much will go a long way):

These numbers will correspond to the numbers that you wrote in the post above.

1) You are absolutely correct. You need to get to V9. I did not have the display problems, but it sounds like you know how to get around that.

***After you get to V9, you will need to jailbreak. The easiest way I found was running the z4root app.

2) You've got a) and b) taken care of.

c) I believe that what I did to get the drivers was the following:

- Open LG Mobile Support Tool (without connecting your phone)
    - Click on "install USB driver (middle right of your screen)
    - Choose "Sprint" as carrier
    - DOUBLE CLICK LGLS670

3) I am no expert, but I would go with Xionia. I tried both, and it seemed that all the guides I was using for different roms and things gave instructions for Xionia.

****You know that once you get a rooted V9 and a custom recovery of choice, that you have to update to VD using the LG Mobile Support Tool correct? If you need help doing this let me know.

Also:
    - Nandroid Backups can really save you (ask questions if you need help).
    - When you start flashing ROMs, Titanium Backup is going to save you a TON of time (ask questions if you need help).
    sblood86 likes this.
    04-17-2011 04:19 PM
    Awesome, that pretty much answered everything though I'm still a little skittish of course.

I did the following:
    c) I believe that what I did to get the drivers was the following:

- Open LG Mobile Support Tool (without connecting your phone)
    - Click on "install USB driver (middle right of your screen)
    - Choose "Sprint" as carrier
    - DOUBLE CLICK LGLS670
    And that worked fine to get the drivers for the support tool but I wonder if maybe I misunderstood something, are there not separate drivers needed to allow ADB to run?

-Seems I just answered my own question, turning on usb debugging mode in the phone will cause windows to install the drivers needed to run ADB

As for your concerns regarding my data I do appreciate that, however as of yet I havn't put anything important on my phone (assuming there is no chance of the phone mysteriously deleting all my contacts in gmail).
    Otherwise I have definitely read about nand backups and was planning on seeing if I could backup the current image for reverting if needed. I havn't really read about restoring yet so perhaps I misunderstand that as well.

Originally I was going to play with the phone for at least a month before I considered flashing it but that sprint id thing is starting to give me a twitch.
    Of course that's assuming none of the rom chefs included sprint id in their roms but somehow I really doubt it.
    04-17-2011 04:42 PM
    Awesome, that pretty much answered everything though I'm still a little skittish of course.

I did the following:

And that worked fine to get the drivers for the support tool but I wonder if maybe I misunderstood something, are there not separate drivers needed to allow ADB to run?
    You should be good to go. Follow the instructions HERE. I don't believe you need any additional drivers, unless there is a step that I don't remember doing.

EDIT: I see in the thread I linked where it says: "the following assumes you already installed USB drivers for your phone to get adb working." Just start the process by following the steps. If the adb doesn't work, then you will know that you need additional drivers (I think they are the same drivers that are needed for the LG Update software).

For me, this was the most challenging part. It is definitely intimidating at first. If you start the process, then something doesn't go quite right, ask before doing anything.
    sblood86 likes this.
    04-17-2011 04:56 PM
    Halfway right, that was just me being stupid, read the above edit
    04-17-2011 04:58 PM
    Halfway right, that was just me being stupid, read the above edit
    Ah, I see...it installs the appropriate drivers when you turn on USB debugging. Good luck!
    sblood86 likes this.
    04-17-2011 05:07 PM
    Yes, your are almost correct on your post. However your English could use some work, and it felt as if your tone was a little snarky.

One more thing, it is ADB (Android Debug Bridge) not "ABD"
    I would like to apologize if I came off snarky, I certainly did not mean to. As for my english; not really sure what to say, I've always had high marks

Thank you for your correction on ADB, it was a simple typo but worth clarifying none the less.

I do however have to say that your response is one of the reasons was wanting to avoid posting in the forums. I notice you have not actually answered my questions in any way or provide any form of advise but merely attacked my post itself.

This is very off putting for a newbie to the forum.
    04-17-2011 08:12 PM
    I would like to apologize if I came off snarky, I certainly did not mean to. As for my english; not really sure what to say, I've always had high marks

Thank you for your correction on ADB, it was a simple typo but worth clarifying none the less.

I do however have to say that your response is one of the reasons was wanting to avoid posting in the forums. I notice you have not actually answered my questions in any way or provide any form of advise but merely attacked my post itself.

This is very off putting for a newbie to the forum.
    Don't worry about things like that, it happens.

Now back to the matter at hand. It seems like you have basically all of the information you need to have a good experience at rooting your phone. I need to add that if you have any issues with any steps, don't hesitate to ask questions!

Also, welcome to Android Central!
    sblood86 likes this.
    04-17-2011 10:18 PM
    On win7, i've noticed hitting F8 on startup and Disabling Driver Signature Enforcement helps a lot, I can't access ADB a lot without doing that

Any other questions, please feel free to ask, I was in your shoes once, and most of us are quite helpful
    04-18-2011 12:37 AM
    On win7, i've noticed hitting F8 on startup and Disabling Driver Signature Enforcement helps a lot, I can't access ADB a lot without doing that
    Yeah, for whatever reason that didn't work for me.
    I did find another work around I partially explained on the reverting to v9 thread.
    04-18-2011 01:33 AM
    Yeah, for whatever reason that didn't work for me.
    I did find another work around I partially explained on the reverting to v9 thread.
    I posted something on that thread you might want to try out on your Win7 Home Premium box if you'd like to contribute back to the community. I'd try it myself, but don't have a Win7 box.
    04-18-2011 01:43 AM
    04-21-2011 05:39 PM
    Yes.
    Yes to what or whom?
    04-21-2011 06:13 PM
    I have downloaded the following- SDK, OptimusRoot VD, KP500, USB DRIVERS, V9 LG STOCK RECOVERY. Now I'm stuck. I'm not sure how to put the SDK in my path.
    04-21-2011 06:25 PM
    basically, if you do default, its usually something somewhere along the lines of:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

or something similar...

you need to use the cd command to get to that directory on cmd.exe
    04-21-2011 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD