Dust Under Screen

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
This problem has been posted for other phones, but not for our beloved Optimus -- there?s dust under my screen! I guess I have to either take it apart (aka ruin it) or take it to a Sprint store?

smackswell#AC

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Take it apart, clean the screen with microfiber, put it back together. That's what I did. do a youtube search for taking apart an optimus for a general guideline.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Got step 1, duh, the six little screws. Got stuck at step 2, gently prying the halves apart, they resisted the idea. Will probably take it to the store -- hope they don’t see any evidence of my tinkering.

The thing lives in my pocket or on my car seat when it doubling as a radio. Not a clean room environment, but I don’t see any excuse for all this dust after only four months use. Unless that’s why it was “free.”

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Some are just not as dust tight as others... I have 3 specks that annoy me but not enough for me to disassemble...

Swyped from my g-breaded optimus prime.

omarnova

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
i got a dust particle right by where my weather shows on fancy widgets but im not gonna open up my phone to get rid of it but if theres another way id like to know how

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I took it to the local Sprint store who sent me to the next one where they knew how to turn a screwdriver, and by golly, they fixed it, fer nuthin. (There?s always a) But he went on and on about he should have charged thirty-five bucks and I really should consider paying seven bucks a month on top of the seventy for the protection plan, since I?m saddled with it for another year and a half. It almost seems like a good idea -- watcha think about it?

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
IMHO why pay a monthly insurance for the ph....cause in a years time new ph's will be released...for me if the ph should break beyond repair I'd just buy a new one....after all I got my LG Optimus S for free back in Dec. 2010....that's just my logic....in fact right now the phone is free again with a renewed contract or a new 2 yr contract.... :D

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
the phone is free again with a renewed contract

That?s what I thought, but he said it doesn?t work that way, that I?d have to pay the three hun list price. If he?s right, the protection plan makes sense. If you?re right, then he?s just spooking me. Starting to sound more like a protection racket...

NyhtShade

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Once you're in the contract and past the 30 days, then the phone is yours and if you want a different one, you'd have to pay the "retail price" which is 300 and up for higher end phones.. the EVO is like 600, Optimus S is 350 I think as of now. iPhone 4 is $700 DOLLARS! We, as new customers or upgrading customers, pay the subsidized price of whatever they charge (199 (EVO) ,50 (what I paid for mine just recently), or free (what I found out a lot of Optimus S phones are lately :( ) .. The protection plan is ideal, although 7 is a bit higher than I expected.. I came from AT&T (I hate saying that name) and their insurance was 4.99 .. it was equal to what we have with sprint, but with ATT, most answers went in the form of "it's broke, pay deductible, get new one" I never had a phone "repaired" with them, and I REALLY could've used it considering that my old phone broke the "extra kickbutt features" 2 weeks after the 30 day return period and they gave me the "broke,pay,new" formula.. Anyways. I'm with sprint now, and I had dust under my Optimus S within the first week. Dealing with AT&T, I originally called LG to see if was covered by warranty.. The guy who spoke englidu told me that he NEVER heard of this happening before (I told him I read online (here) that it had been a common complaint with this model) and told me he didn't know if it would be covered under manufacturers warranty since it was "cosmetic damage" even though I explained the whole dust damages digitizer over time thing.. he said bring it the store and they'd replace it.. which I laughed about, saying I don't have the 100 to get a new one. He said they should replace it, which I laughed some more.. I figured, Sprint's a fresh slate, maybe they might be nice about the whole thing and fix it or something.. I brought it in on friday the 29th.. 2 hours later, I walked out with a BRAND NEW model.. The guy said if it happens more than 3 times, then you get an updated phone, like new version of your phone or equal model.. Which is cool, but I was more brainmelt of the fact that I got a new phone! it was AWESOME.. it's now sunday, early morning.. I'm eager to go back to the store.. in my excitement I neglected to check for other things.. My phone already has a SINGLE dust piece in it, which I don't care about so much as I do the fact that it appears the screen is not flush with the phone.. Meaning it's actually coming loose inside or something to that extent.. I see mainly in landscape mode, a blue bar on the left hand side (sprint side, buttons to the right) that when I look down, I see a bit of the backlight.. only on the lefthand side.. which means it's crooked internally.. This is a much bigger issue to me then a bit of dust.. the screen was improperly placed in the phone OR it was mishandled during shipping and/or possibly dropped before I got it, cause I sure as heck didn't drop it.. I'm heading back to the sprint store on monday asap to see if this is something else for a swap-out or if this is something for a screwdriver.. BTW, the place I go to is a smallbrand store, not corporate owned.. Should I go to a corporate one to just see if it can be repaired.. I kinda don't wanna have to get a whole new one and spend another 2 days customizing it just right.. is this something that could be repaired easily or am I w/o my phone for a few days (which can't really happen)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks