I have an LG Optimus V (duh, right. Just thought I'd specify anyway). I'm also on windows xp sp3.

I just got a pny 16gb class 10 sdcard. Will my phone support it? The best buy guy says yes, but I want forum confirmation.

Formatting. what are the advantages and disadvantages of the various fats? I know if I use any exts I won't be able to see them in windows, but that's all I know. Can I use fat32 for my standard fat? Or possibly NTFS? Or does it have to be fat16? I do not intend to install any custom roms, I'm perfectly happy with the pre-installed os with go launcher ex, and I don't intend to do the expanding system memory to the sdcard trick.

How do I go about this anyways? Can I just copy my sdcard to my pc and then copy it to the new sdcard? I have been using droidsail super app2sd (root), and I heard somewhere that the sdcard stores some linux info I obviously won't be able to copy/paste with windows. Is that the case? Moving all my apps back to the phone first is not a feasible option.

After setting up my new card, can I just turn off my phone, take out the old card, and then put in the new one? Or do I have to unmount the old one first?

Partitiioning. I intend to start using Link2sd instead of app2sd, and the description says I should partition my card, Can they both be fat32 or does one have to be fat16 or an ext?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to be sure I do this right.
    04-05-2012 01:18 PM
    You should be able to just transfer everything you want from your old card to either your phone or you computer then turn off your phone, slap the new card in then transfer what you want to the new card.

Should be quick and easy.
    notown likes this.
    04-05-2012 01:27 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, but it doesn't really answer most of my questions...

Will my phone support it?

What file system should I use?

Is there linux info that won't get copied?

Should I unmount the old card first?
    04-05-2012 01:57 PM
    Should support it just fine.

I never use any type of file sys. Just slap it in and the phone sets it up. usually FAT32 i believe.
    Most SD and micro SD cards are FAT32 when purchased. Or they are when i put them in my windows laptop
    to check for manufacture bloat ware.

Not sure on the linux info.

I have unmounted and just plain turned off the phone and swapped before.
    Haven't experienced any problems either way.
    notown likes this.
    04-05-2012 02:28 PM
    FAT 16 is basically obsolete. No real reason to use it nowadays except for certain niche uses.
    FAT 32 is largely the standard. It's what I use for my memory card because it's so widely used there's rarely compatibility problems.
    NTFS is what Windows(the desktop kind) uses. It's a theoretically beter file system, but you'll probably run into compatibility problems since it's not as widely used as FAT 32.

You shouldn't have a problems transferring Linux info unless you did something weird to your original card. And yes, there's no reason that card won't be compatible. If there's issues, there's a good chance it wasn't manufactured correctly (which is unfortunately common). In that case, just return it
    04-05-2012 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD